Can I import this Defender 110 into California?

David Harris

Expedition Leader
A lot depends on whether the drivetrain and chassis are all original with no signs of tampering to the numbers. That's the only way you can get it in. No engine swaps except for the original type engine and the frame can't have been replaced (i.e. with a new galvanized chassis). All restoration/mods have to be done after import.

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
If the production date of the truck is 25 years or older yes you can bring it into CA due to the lack of diesel emissions standards in those years. If you need help send me a pm and I'll get you to the guys who specialize in this area here in CA.

VWVagabonds

Observer
Thank you both. This is just the news I was hoping for. Chi-town, I will take you up on that offer when I get closer.

Red90

Adventurer
My understanding is titling a non-EPA diesel in California is currently impossible.

psykokid

Explorer
From what I can tell the problem is bringing in a truck that has never been registered in the US before. That is where most people that I have heard about are running into issues. If you have a way, get the truck registered and titled in another state first before bringing it into the peoples republik of kaliforniastan. There was a chap locally that brought a diesel 110 in that had previously been registered in Colorado and had no problems at the DMV getting the truck registered. Will he run into issues down the road? That's a good question. Depends on how risk averse you are in general.

meatblanket

Adventurer
Looks to me like it has had a Tdi swapped in place of the original engine (83kw = Tdi power). If so, then it isn't legal and if it's discovered you might be allowed to ship it back to Italy.

tacr2man

Adventurer
Looks to me like it has had a Tdi swapped in place of the original engine (83kw = Tdi power). If so, then it isn't legal and if it's discovered you might be allowed to ship it back to Italy.

According to title paper its got a 12J engine (original) and the cc is correct as well , the interior has been messed about with , seats non standard , apart from that looks quite a genuine vehicle the wheels are rangerover , and are not rated heavy enough for a 110 .HTSH

optimusprime

Proffessional daydreamer.
According to title paper its got a 12J engine (original) and the cc is correct as well , the interior has been messed about with , seats non standard , apart from that looks quite a genuine vehicle the wheels are rangerover , and are not rated heavy enough for a 110 .HTSH

12J ..as sliw as a slow thing then!
I had a 19J ( the turbo version) and that was slow as well!

newhue

Adventurer
Would it be easier/possible to import into BC, register it, then import into US? Is Oregon or Washington a possibility if California is unique.

dcproven

Adventurer
Directly from the CARB (I inquired about my 77 Series III in Spain) a pre-1979 diesel or not, doesn't require smog testing in CA, so I am OK. All the other cases are not that simple for a diesel, but I know people can do it, not sure how.

The key is, as already told, originality, if there is something too new, it may not go through...

Where I am having problems is finding a Ro-Ro for my series, not easy to bring it directly from Spain to here...

voyagenland

Observer
first excuse me for my american!
the engine was probably changed to a 300Tdi of 83kw instead of the 2.5 or 2.5 td. can see that because of the output of the snorkel on the right side which is not possible on previous models.
this is a very common practice here in europe.if you need help for informations on a vehicle in europe and if I can help do not hesitate.
chris

psykokid

Explorer
Directly from the CARB (I inquired about my 77 Series III in Spain) a pre-1979 diesel or not, doesn't require smog testing in CA, so I am OK. All the other cases are not that simple for a diesel, but I know people can do it, not sure how.

The key is, as already told, originality, if there is something too new, it may not go through...

Where I am having problems is finding a Ro-Ro for my series, not easy to bring it directly from Spain to here...

did you mean 1997 or older diesel? Here's the list of what is exempt from smog from the CA DMV's website:

CA DMV Website said:
Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:

Hybrid
Gasoline powered 1975 year model or older
Diesel powered 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs
Electric
Natural gas powered with a GVWR rating of more than 14,000 lbs.
Motorcycle
Trailer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle