Can we talk coffee brewing?

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Must.Have.Coffee! I have tried every possible way to make coffee and keep coming back to simple pour over. Put paper filter in the funnel, add ground coffee, pour hot water, enjoy. Clean up is easy since the grounds are contained in the filter it goes in the trash or we compost it at home. I usually grind beans into a small mason jar before we head out and use an 1/8 cup (2T spoons) scoop per cup. Now I want to go make a cup...

Buckstopper

fourfa

Observer
Necro, but I was in here for the first time in a while so why not…

IMG_3356.jpeg
View attachment IMG_3357.jpeg

Aeropress. Reflectix insulating sleeve. Reusable stainless filter. Knock AerGrind hand grinder that fits in the Aeropress (sticks out ~0.5”). Thermometer. Ziploc of paper filters just in case. All in an old Eagle Creek zip case. (Bananas for scale)

I love a pour-over too, and with a disposable paper filter, cleanup is pretty easy. Lift, toss, quick rinse. But anyone who thinks Aeropress doesn’t have the easiest clean-up of all obviously hasn’t owned one. The puck of dry grounds pops out and usually leaves nothing behind; rinsing the plunger is strictly optional. Same usually goes for the filter; after lying out for ten minutes, any dry remnants will shake off with a flick. And the dryness of the grounds after pressing hard makes them rather friendlier in the trash than the gooey wet leaking mess from a pour over. But with a reusable mesh pour-over filter, cleanup sucks and uses a lot of water (this is my partner’s daily morning routine, but even she wants to leave it at home on trips due to the messy cleanup and water use).

Might be more than asked but brewing coffee is only half the equation - I roast green beans, usually at home with Sweet Maria’s The Popper [electric small batch air popper] but I have brought a Whirley Pop [steel pot originally for popcorn, with a hand-cranked stirrer inside] on overland trips, quite easy to roast green beans over any stove. Does triple duty for cooking, and yes popcorn too!

Green beans keep for years, so stowing a pound or five in the vehicle until needed is no big deal

Antwon412

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
But anyone who thinks Aeropress doesn’t have the easiest clean-up of all obviously hasn’t owned one.
Yuuup. This is the main reason we love ours. We do a lot of dry camping, and water is heavy and precious. The ability to just "thock"* out that puck of grounds and give it a wipe with a paper towel is a game changer. We stick to paper filters, but only because when I'm brewing, it's usually 2-3 batches at a go, so I didn't like trying to clean the SS filter in between shots. If I was solo and had time to let it dry, then that'd be the perfect solution.

* IYKYK, that's the sound it makes

COAKXterra

Aero press for all the reasons above.

Depending on the trip, we may take the pour over with paper filters, the French press, and/or the percolator as well.

But generally the aero press, one other “multi-serving” option, and via packets are always in the truck.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
OK yeah, coffee for four is where aeropress falls down
Aeropress would like to introduce the Aeropress XL ;-)

Saw this in the store the other day and was intrigued until I found out their (sale!) price was $55 and it takes different filters

I'm wandering around in a general state of constant sticker shock these days regardless, but $55 for two plastic tubes with no moving parts or anything - nope. Paid $5 for mine off of craigslist a few years back and been enjoying it every day since

If someone made an aero that we could operate with our onboard compressed air Expo would probably go cuckoo for it :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

ITTOG

I like a good pour over as well. Enjoying one now. Add a little mushroom and call it good. All I have to do is rinse off the mixer.

1702472120407.png 1702472163356.png 1702472202124.png

smbisig

Adventurer
IMG_2997.jpeg

Our main home coffee maker took a poop, so I found the smallest coffee maker I could use as a backup while waiting for a warranty replacement and figured I could use it in the Jeep also.

While camping I do enjoy a really good cup of coffee (used to own a coffee e-commerce store) and usually use a pour-over or the aero, but there are mornings when I need coffee super fast or I know I will drink several cups so this might come in handy.

Hnoroian

Observer
OK yeah, coffee for four is where aeropress falls down
K-cup adapter, all the goodies, no mess no fuss, a bit more trash from individual servings but nothing more than a quick smash of the pod won’t do.carry one or a hundred and brew as fast as you can get the water up to temp.

If someone made an aero that we could operate with our onboard compressed air Expo would probably go cuckoo for it :ROFLMAO:
Now you have my mind working. I’ll be working on a printed version for my next project.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior