Can you help me identify/find this bike?

acasper708

Observer
Don't know anything about the yamaha's but I got 2 old Hondas a 81 gl1100 and a 78 gx500. The gl would be to heavy to load but the 500 would be doable. They are very durable engines. Only a couple problems with them like the water pump seal leaking. I picked up one the beginning of this summer for $200. It needs some TLC but should be on the road next summer.
Here's my gl
PA180737.jpg

Here's my gx
9b7a0537.jpg

And here's a couple pimped out gx500's
45f53464.jpg

e908eeb8.jpg

bd6f2a44.jpg

Oakbluffcamper

Observer
It's probably a Yam SX650 they're pretty much in demand right now. This style of bike used for street is called a Street Tracker, (google it) based on Flat Track style. The SX650 is used in the Cafe Racer bikes now. My son just bought a 84 Honda VT500 maybe the first factory Street Tracker bike, I'll try to post a picture.DSC_0336.JPG

Oakbluffcamper

Observer
Acasper708 I came across a CX500 for $500, Im thinking about getting it, slap on some clipons paint the wheels black add
cafe seat and instant cool bike.

sandalscout

Adventurer
Acasper708 I came across a CX500 for $500, Im thinking about getting it, slap on some clipons paint the wheels black add
cafe seat and instant cool bike.

I used to own a cx500, pretty advanced bike for being 30 years old. Did some minor work on it to get it running reliably (new fan, flushed coolant, cleaned and synced carbs) and then the stator started going out on it. It's a pain to fix on those bikes, and not really that cheap either. Sold it to a buddy who is currently in the process of chopping it up to look like an old BMW R26.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I don't own a motorcycle, I have never owned a motorcycle, but I have always wanted to. I grew up around Harley's but don't think that would make a good platform. I want something that I can pack around with me in the back of the truck and something I can drive on a daily basis. I just saw something like this last week and fell in love. I think that it is a yamaha xs650, but can't decide what model or year this is. Any help on identifying or suggesting other bikes would be awesome!

Yes, it's an XS650 but don't think you can go out and buy one like that. The only thing on that bike that is stock is the engine and frame. Everything else - tank, wheels, seat, handlebars, etc, - is aftermarket or custom (that tank is custom, nobody makes a factory tank that looks like that.)

There are a couple of Yamaha XS forums out there that can point you in the right direction if you're looking to customize one of your own. The XS ended production in the early 80's but there are still a lot of them around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears