Can you help me with my GPS elavator ride?

vanguard

Adventurer
I can't seem to get off the GPS research elevator. It's starts like this.

1) Hey, a serviceable GPS unit for my truck is only about $350. I should get one, I do have two trips that are over 7 hours coming up in May and it sure would be nice.
2) Hmm, it's ok but I also want to geo-cache with my 6 year old daughter. She loves hiking and I bet she would like geo-caching even more. The c320 doesn't really do that well.
3) Well, here's a unit for $500. It's not that much more than $350 and everybody knows the most expensive tool/gadget/piece of equipment is the one that you buy twice. (buying twice = upgrading)
4) Oh darn, it's not really $500 because you need software, mounts, power, etc. Now it's $900 and I really don't want to spend that much.
5) Maybe that $350 unit is the one that I want?
6) Go back to step 1

So, if you had a hard limit of $500-$550 what would you get? This is what I'm looking for.

* Turn by turn directions to places all over the east coast + California.
* Help in finding restaurants, drug stores, gas stations or whatever else I need.
* Geocaching with my kids.
* The ability to be moved from vehicle to vehicle.
* Rugged enough to be thrown in a backpack and carried about.
* This is a nice-to-have but it would be cool if I could create my own trail maps by having it track me. I thought I saw that some of them can do that.
* Another nice-to-have would be a current speed/direction/location on map display.

Does anything meet my needs in this price range? I've done a bunch of reading but it can be difficult to tell what I'll really need to spend after I buy maps, memory, etc.

justfred

Adventurer
Personally I'd get one for driving and one for geocaching (that you can tell your daughter it's hers!) The geocaching one needs to be able to download waypoints (you can subscribe and get local ones to download).

Then get one for the truck with maps and points of interest.

At that price range ($400) you won't get a big display or topo, but you should get fine road maps.

The alternative would be a nice handheld. I think the Garmin Vista is great; they now have them in color; have it all but a small screen.

Another alternative would be to look on Craigslist for someone selling good used ones.

Personally I've got a 96c for aviation (with flight waypoints and maps); a eTrex Vista for geocaching/bicycling, and a Streetpilot i5 for wife's car/road trips. Oh, and several thousand dollars worth of Garmin stock as well. Would really like about a 9" screen topo/map version that moved from car to car and worked in the plane as well.

paulj

Expedition Leader
You may want to separate the car-based use from the backpacking and geocaching.

For hand held use you want something small, rugged, and reasonably conservative with battery use. You don't need the verbal directions. Topographic information may be nice, but isn't absolutely necessary. For day hikes you will find a guide book or trailhead map just as valuable as any info that comes on an GPS. For backpacking trips you should have a paper map, or a good guidebook map. When hiking a GPS can be most useful as a record of your route, and as a backup guide when returning to the car.

A handheld unit can also be used in the car, if you have some sort cradle, and 12v adapter. But if you want it to draw a map, and give you turn by turn instructions, you need one with a larger screen, and the software that knows about roads. This is likely to be larger, and more expensive than what you want for hand held use.

paulj

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Based on your criteria and the price-point you are after, I would suggest looking for either a Magellan Meridian (Platinum or Gold) or a Garmin GPS V. Both of these are now older models (the Meridian line has been recently discontinued), and it is likely you can find a good deal on a used or close-out unit, and maybe find deals on the software (or older versions) as well. But even though they are older models, they have all of the criteria you are looking for, albeit with black and white screens and maybe a little more battery power consumption than their contemporaries.

Both units:
  • Handheld
  • Can use topo maps
  • Can use turn-by-turn (auto-routing) software
  • Will record tracks and save waypoints from your trips
  • Can find metro POI's (points of interest).
Garmin V:
  • Screen resolution and lighting is probably a bit better than the Magellan
  • Does not have removeable memory
  • Likely has a better metro streets and POI's database than Magellan
  • I'm not sure what kind of world-wide maps might be avail. but I know they have stuff for Canada and Europe.
Magellan Meridian (Platinum & Gold):
  • Has illuminated buttons (nice for night driving)
  • Maybe slightly larger screen
  • Has removeable memory (this is a huge advantage if you like to travel out of state often)
  • Also has a worldwide basemap avail. with topo contours around the world, which is pretty cool (though scale is pretty high and only major highways show) You can sample the WWBM at Magellan's website.
The challenge to staying within your budget is going to be when you start to add all of the accessories and software. That adds up fast. Check www.geocaching.com in the forum under Garage Sale and see if someone might be upgrading and selling their complete kit.

asteffes

Explorer
Once you eventually break down and decide to spring for the "$900" package, look at the the Garmin GPSMAP 276c. It is a ************ unit, but their pricing is on the arrogant side. The GPS will run you $600, then another $200 for the "car kit," which includes the beanbag mount, power cable with speaker for turn-by-turn directions, memory card and t-b-t map software. However, $800 later, you have the last GPS you'll need for a very long time. You might try to find a used one?

madizell

Explorer
I have both a Garmin III and a 162map in my Jeep. The III is dismountable, can run on batteries, and will fit in a pocket or backpack. The problem is that you can't read it while driving. Both units function about the same, and I have never seen them come up with two different answers to the same problem, but the Garmin III, as a handheld, is strictly a backup unit in the vehicle. The 162, which is discontinued but similar sized units are available, can be read at a glance, and has buttons large enough to use in a bouncing Jeep.

Personally, I don't think you will find a single unit that will do all of what you wish, and I would agree with those above who say you should get two units. If money won't permit this, get the one with the most features you really need, and don't worry about the features that are nice, but not essential.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
asteffes said:
... However, $800 later, you have the last GPS you'll need for a very long time.

Probably a few years at least. I am hopeful that my current handheld GPS will hold me over until the next generation of GPSR's start to become available utilizing the new L2C satellite signal. Current recreational consumer GPS units won't be able to receive the new (more powerful and accurate) signal.

Some info:

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/350/C6199/

http://www.gpsreview.net/understanding-l2c-l2-gps/

http://gps.faa.gov/gpsbasics/GPSmodernization.htm

With Europe getting their Galileo GPS system underway, the new L2C might come a little faster than we anticipate? Hopefully it will.

Bottom line though, I have to chuckle about your "elevator ride" because it's so true. It's difficult to draw the line with a GPSR system, so I feel your pain! :p Stay focused on the bare minimum neccesities that will accomplish your navigational and data recording goals, and stick to it.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
To second Chris's view of the Magellam Meridian series, they have been discontinued, ,but you can still find brand new Meridian Color models out there. I do like my Magellan.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Garmin GPS V...best bang for your buck right now. Turn by turn directions, moving map and portability...and if it dies...you're only out like $300....

I picked one up for SAR and my motorcycle travels from Touratech, with their nice rally mount for the bike for $400....

-H-

vanguard

Adventurer
First of all, thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

I've bought into the idea that I won't get a single unit that is great at everything. Given that I'm leaning in that direction does anybody like the Garmin c3x0 units? They seem like a good fit for auto use.

http://gpsinformation.us/c320/c320review.html

What features make the 276C stand out so much? I've been reading about it and it's nearly the unanimous pick but I haven't seen why.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
vanguard said:
I've bought into the idea that I won't get a single unit that is great at everything. Given that I'm leaning in that direction does anybody like the Garmin c3x0 units? They seem like a good fit for auto use.

Hmmm... in your first post you mentioned a hard limit of $500-550. Have you added up all of the software and accessory cost with the c3x0 units? I'm not sure but it seems like you would end up well in excess of your budget. You also mentioned that your criteria included geocaching and being thrown in a backpack. I think this unit, being an automotive GPS, would not lend itself to the "on-foot" aspect of geo-caching. And I don't think it will use topo software (if that is important to you). It would be much better at street nav than a handheld unit though, that's for sure.

vanguard said:
What features make the 276C stand out so much? I've been reading about it and it's nearly the unanimous pick but I haven't seen why.

I think just the screen itself makes it very appealing. For being an automotive unit, it can also use topo software as well as used on a boat, while still being very robust in the auto-routing realm. So that makes it really appealing for people that do the kind of traveling the people on this forum do.

vanguard

Adventurer
BajaTaco said:
Hmmm... in your first post you mentioned a hard limit of $500-550. Have you added up all of the software and accessory cost with the c3x0 units?
I thought it was fairly complete? It sounds like I'll have to take a closer look at them.

BajaTaco said:
I think just the screen itself makes it very appealing. For being an automotive unit, it can also use topo software as well as used on a boat, while still being very robust in the auto-routing realm. So that makes it really appealing for people that do the kind of traveling the people on this forum do.
That makes sense. I'll take a closer look at this one again. Maybe there is a way to ease into it or maybe I should just pull the trigger and get it. The last thing I want to do is spend $600 on the c3x0 unit then spend $900 a year later on the GPS that I should have bought the first time.

Sadly, I'm still riding this elavator up and down from $100 used units to $1k super units that will guide me in my submarine. :shakin:

asteffes

Explorer
vanguard said:

- Excellent display quality - bright, crisp, works well at most any angle
- Well-designed UI - clear menus, very customizable
- Lots of accessory support in the aftermarket - mounts, antennas, wiring options for different needs
- It does everything you might ever want a GPS to do - wide variety of maps and software available, dual serial ports for APRS and/or marine appllications, lots of storage with optional memory cards.

Now, there are probably other units that do at least as much, if not much more, than the 276C, but I think that it is an excellent value although not the least expensive option.

doublej

not sure if it will help - i just got the megallan color, and it seems pretty good as a cheaper all around unit. road maps for traveling and topo for hiking. granted im still a noob, but other than voice turn by turn for travel, it seems great. once i figure out how to get some uk road maps on here ill do a write up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998