Can you use a small portable DC ice maker as a freezer?

magentawave

Adventurer
I've looked everywhere but can't find a small DC freezer just big enough to make warm beer cold faster than my cooler can and to store ice cream or fish I catch while on the road. I was wondering if its possible to use a small portable DC ice maker as a freezer? It would be great if I could use it as a freezer because they are inexpensive. Anyone used one? Are they energy hogs?

madmax718

Explorer
Unless I missed something, this unit is not a DC unit. Secondly, it will only make ice, so it will not be a freezer. At best, it will make ice for a cooler. This will never keep ice cream frozen.

Your cooler will always make warm beer cooler faster, especially if there is liquid in there (water and ice).

I use a Waeco Coolfreeze cf18- Its one of their smaller units. It will make ice, but will also keep ice cream frozen. They make a unit smaller, but is their second model up.

magentawave

Adventurer
I was thinking of Waeco/Dometic but it seemed that some of the stuff I've read about them wasn't too positive. Have you used your Waeco a lot...and with no problems?

madmax718

Explorer
I bought mine used, so its hard to say. So far Its been bounced around, and has run for a week continuously without issues. Then it got cold, and I didn't need it. If you want I can put a cup of water in to give you a time. I have a AC to DC converter (don't get the small ones, not enough juice). Thing will kick off. They do seem to be very voltage sensitive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman