Canon Digital Rebel XTi, Which lens?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Okay, I have a problem. My Canon Powershot S80 doesn't work anymore. The lens is clicking and grinding and won't extend or retract. I'm really bummed out, because this point and shoot was smokin' hot. :(

868170416_0d7e7c59a9.jpg

Anyway, I've been thinking about picking up a Digital Rebel. My only question is, if I decide to buy one, should I get the kit lens or something else? I'm on a budget, so I'd rather not spend more than $100 on a lens if possible. It might be most cost effective to just get my foot in the door with the kit lens, but that's what I'm trying to figure out.

What lens would you recommend for scenery and off-road? If you could provide me with a link, that would be great. My S80 had 28mm wide angle which was really nice.

Scott Brady

Founder
Given your budget, I would recommend getting the Rebel Kit, with the 18-55. That will give you a good focal range and minimal cost. Then you can save for other glass.

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
what Scott said. $100 for a lens won't get you anything better than the kit lens. If you like the point and shoot factor, but want a little more range, you may want to look at the PowerShot S3IS. A 10x zoom, really nice image quality and image stabilization.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for your feedback guys. I'd be totally new to SLR, so all of the lens options are enough to make my head spin. If I decide to get it, I'll go with the kit lens to get my foot in the door - like I said.

Still, when it comes time to upgrade, do you guys have any lens recommendations? Any must-have lenses for out in the wild? :)

articulate

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
Still, when it comes time to upgrade, do you guys have any lens recommendations? Any must-have lenses for out in the wild? :)
Must have? Wide wide wide angle is my absolute favorite (10mm if you can swing it). But it took a while to get the hang of using it well.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Of the lenses I have (for my dRebel), the kit lens is what I use 90% of the time. It is not the best (images are soft when I get the aperture off of 9.0 by very much), but I find the focal length quite useful. The other lenses I have are great when the situation calls for them...but for general, all around use, the 18 - 55 kit lens is what I use. Since I do not sell any of my images (at this point anyway), it is not a huge deal that they get a bit soft. You really have to blow them up to see it.

pwc

Explorer
DOH! I was going to suggest spending $150 and getting the 80 fixed to save the money!
When you have more $$, take a look at the Sigma 18-200

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
pwc said:
DOH! I was going to suggest spending $150 and getting the 80 fixed to save the money!
When you have more $$, take a look at the Sigma 18-200

I do expect to repair the S80 sometime. We have this underwater housing for it which is really alot of fun. The S80 also has a unique "Intervalometer" feature, where I can program the camera to take pictures at specified intervals. I can set it up on a tripod and have it take pictures through the night. Very cool. Its a gem of a point-and-shoot with fantastic output.

158841829_e7ae961877.jpg

I'll definitely keep the Sigma 18-200 in mind. I was just checking it out on dpreview. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears