Canon EOS 5D

Robthebrit

Explorer
My old rebel broke due to the abuse it was getting (not badly but the case is cracked) so I bought a 5D. I don't get it until Tuesday or Wednesday but I'll post more when I know more.

I might run to Joshua Tree or something in that area late next week to give it a test run. If anybody is interested let me know and I'll make a thread in a more appropriate area.

Rob

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Brilliant camera! My ultimate combination right now would be a 20D (which we have) or 30D for telephoto work, to take advantage of the sensor magnification, and a 5D for wide angle shots so my 17-35 zoom would work like it's supposed to.

Do give us a performance report, Rob.

Robthebrit

Explorer
I am on both sides of the whole sensor size argument.

I have never been concerned about the crop factor as its not changing anything optically, the none digital lens on a digital body still projects the image to a 35mm cone and the APC only see's the center of that image, you can easily cut the center out of a full frame image and get the exact same result, although at a lower resolution. The 5D total resolution is higher than the 20 or 30D but if you clip to the APC area the resolution of that clipped area is quite a bit lower. The 5D resolution is 4368x2912 with a 35.8x23.9mm sensor and the 20D is 3504x2336 with a 22.5x15.0 sensor, if you crop the 5D image to the APC area the resolution is 2745x1828 which is a good bit lower. The 5D has slightly larger pitch on the individual pixels which means more photons fall on a given pixel, this should mean the CMOS sensor should have a lower signal to noise ratio and will be able to simulate faster film.

The only place where the 1.6x factor is a real issue is if you are trying to take the same framed shot on both cameras, the full size will have to zoom 1.6x times to match. Optically this is different but on telephoto shots it looks almost identical. However any work with a narrow depth of field, including macro work, the factor can be an issue. At the big picture level, the focal length or distance to subject has to change for the same image therefore the area in focus also changes, a big issue for macro work.

In reality I am more concerned about the fact that film and 35mm sensors are very unforgiving on the lens quality, seeing the entire image and not just the center which is typically of better optical quality. I have a mix of good and ok lenses so the first thing I'll have to do is check the edges of the pictures taken with the cheaper lenses.

I'll post my first thoughts when it gets here..

Rob

articulate

Expedition Leader
Super, I'd love to see your feedback. My friends make fun of me because I still shoot film. But that's only because the 5D is the one I want, and it has a very committing price tag.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Robthebrit

Explorer
The 5D arrived yesterday, I have not looked at it much yet because I was busy but here are my first impressions.

Pros:
It feels nice, not too heavy and not too light. The magnesium case feels more solid than the plastic cases.
The viewfinder is awesome, its big and bright.
Its nice to get the same focal length as a film camera.
3200 ISO (enabled via custom function) is of remarkable quality, with a 50mm F1.2 you take hand held pictures in almost darkness without a flash. I was taking pictures indoors with just fire light and getting exposure times of 1/160 (while the 3200 quality is very acceptable it is much noiser than ISO 100 which is to be expected).
The JPG quality is fantastic (4368x2912 at high quality are 4-5mb each)

Cons:
You get no memory card (somewhat understandable) but I got a 4gb CF card from fry's for $71.
Its unforgiving, very unforgiving.
super wide angle enses that were good on an APC sensor have bad vingetting. My tokina 12-24mm is bad from 12-19mm, using only 19-24mm makes it not worth using. 19mm is about where this lens starts on an APC sensor so it all makes sense, the lens labeld 12-24 but its really designed for APC operating in the range 19-38. In reality this is to be expected as 12mm (rectilinear) is really wide for film or fullsize sensor, 14mm is cannon's widest rectilinear lens and it struggles in the corners when wide open (thats from an L series prime lens).
A 4gb card gives about 822 pictures with highest quality jpegs, copying them over the camera USB cable takes a long time. 4gb is about 190 RAW pictures and 140 raw+large jpeg.
No flash (not really a con), built in flashes are usually rubbish and cast bad shadows.

More to follow and my first pictures..

Rob.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
articulate said:
Super, I'd love to see your feedback. My friends make fun of me because I still shoot film. But that's only because the 5D is the one I want, and it has a very committing price tag.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Mark, for what and how you shoot, you really should check out the Leicas. They are excellent.

pwc

Explorer
Rob, if you like the 10/20/30D, the 5D will be great for you. Yes, with really wide lenses you can have vignetting just like on film with the wrong combo. I've found I rarely use those setting and things come out well.

I've had mine for about a year now and it's stood up well to a wide range of travel and conditions.

Make sure you get a really fast card to help it keep up with shooting. GB of data are going to be somewhat slow to move over no matter which card.

Personally I like not having the other fancy modes or flash. As you mention, life's better without it.

What do you mean by unforgiving?

sinuhexavier

Explorer
5D.

Wow. What an amazing camera. I shot with the 1DS for two years and it took a dive on me. I was going to replace it with the 1DSMark II, but after fiddling around with the 5D in the store I was hooked. I have used it on portrait shoots and commercial shoots aready and the quality is stunning.

Here are three from recent shoots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior