canter rims

Barrabindi

Observer
pugslyyy
Truck derated to 4495kg, but would like rims rated closer to higher gvm(6000kg). I sometimes tow 3500kg++
I have 5 stud 16x8 steel on my fg649, by eastern wheelworks. happy with wheels, but customer service has been a little challenging at times.

muddyfarmer76

Lol tried tinting my windows on the Canter this Easter weekend and failed. The guy on the YouTube video made it look so easy. Doesn't help living in Qld where soon as you spray the window with water it dries up in under a minute. Might have to wait for cooler weather. It was an experience though. The only part I really failed on was cutting the tint. Might try templates next time. Yes I am going to try again I do not like being defeated lol.
I sent Alan a message but if you didn't get it I was wondering what you charge per rim and how much is freight to Brissy. Mine is a 93 dual cab 5 stud rim.
The old girl is coming along nicely. Scored a nice alloy bulbar from the wreckers the other week. Had the cab tilted up which was a mission and a half. Wanted to have a good look at the engine. Replaced the tension pulley on the air conditioner belt, flushed and changed the coolant, replaced the fuel filter, replaced all the belts, changed that silly gasket in between the two rocker covers and replaced all the missing nuts and bolts that I pulled off other canters at the wreckers. Once I get the wider tyres and make my own canopy for the back she will start to look good. Might have to start posting some pictures. Cheers guys and safe driving.

robertbruce

Hello Expeditionportal,

my first post and many thanks to the moderators, masters and owners of this website...
This is an excellent thread! I'm half-way thru it with many many tangents...

I am looking to move to truck-based camper
I recently found a new caretaker for a BB10 5.7 SBC 4x4 Coaster that was fast fast fast on the highway and loved giving it too the doubles.9)
i think im going to miss that with these small trucks...

I would like to ask a question highly relevent to this thread...
Not meaning to HJ
I'm just wondering if there is a table of year-model/engine varient/tyre/rim/suspension/gvm/load/comfort solution cross-referencing DOTARS, ADR, Federal, State, Licencing, and Bogie mods?...

If there was,
I would be able to zoom straight to the column which says

Canter FG...
"Best Engine/Rim/Tyre combination Highway for hill crunching-torque & good acceleration between 80 and 120KPH?"

short answers are absolutly fine.. (edit)

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Firstly... welcome. :)

I cannot speak for other FG models, but with 36" singles on a 2010 FG84D, 120 Km/h would be the real upper limit, speed wise. If it were not "chip enhanced" I don't really know if you would be able to maintain 120 Km/h. Maybe on the flats, but definitely not up hills.
Basically, these things were definitely not geared for speed. In stock mode the specs give the top speed as 98 Km/h for the FG84D.

robertbruce

many thanks for the welcome SkiFreak..

Perhaps i should have said "incline holding torque" rather than hill-crunching..

The current models ar 104KPH top speed
I was hoping the 4D34 with it's peaky power deliverly, the right gearing and the right intertia/weight, would carry itself up minor inclines without losing a gear.
Sounds like it needs another 100 horses to hold a finger but Im not a huge fan of AM turbo's & chips. Perhaps a repower.
Oh lovely, off on another tangent

Barrabindi

Observer
16 or 17 inch rims????

37 x 17" tyres..... these look like a great option, as per "GoannaTracks"

Does anyone on this forum/in Australia use these tyres????

It appears the Hankooks , thru "Goannatracks", have been derated from 130 to 124Q load ???

Toyo MT is load rated E 131Q .. Can we get these in Australia?? I purchased 16" Goodyear tyres thru "Tirerack" USA over 2yrs back, but they dont have suitable 17" tyres

Thanks
Andrew

alan

Explorer
We just received a shipment of forged wheel nuts to suit our alloy wheels, no need to use the secondary lug nuts anymore.

alan

Explorer
Of course!
you would think a simple wheel nut would be easy to have made but it took nearly 2 years to find a manufacturer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears