Canvas Topper

RogueRider

Hey all,

Hope this is an appropriate place to post this topic.

I have ordered a new Tacoma. a TRD Off road double cab with the short bed and a manual transmission (my preference). I'm rather excited about it. It's my very first new truck purchase.

I'm thinking about putting a Bestop Supertopper on the truck. I wonder if anybody has any experience with these. I'm sort of over the hassle of my RTT and I'm short enough to sleep diagonally in the bed of this truck. I don't want the weight of a fiberglass shell either. Any thoughts or opinions on these types of canvas shells?

Thanks

bkg

Explorer
Can-Back if they make them. Owned 3 on 4runners - fantastic.

Had a softopper on a 1st gen tacoma. hated it. sold it.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Well, I don’t have personal experience with Can-Bak, and it’s moot anyway since they aren’t made anymore, but I do know the Softopper sucks less than the Bestop…. Even Bestop knows Softopper is better. That‘s why they bought them.

taugust

Adventurer
I have had two Bestops on my 2003 Tacoma. They work pretty well, but do have some downsides. Everything is harder to do in cold weather, since the fabric shrinks. They are not completely weatherproof. Water can get inside and dust is everpresent offroad. Over time, the plastic elements become brittle. I eventually went with an aluminum shell for better weather tightness and security. My girlfriend got one of the newer versions for her newer Tacoma, and the fit was horrible. The rear window did not overlap the tailgate at all, so rainwater and dust just went directly inside. If you can, see the one you want to get installed on the same vehicle you want to put it on, to see how it goes together.

AggroCrag

Meat Popsicle
Softopper makes a great product, and I have owned one myself. I will say though, they are now upwards of $900 new, which I find to be absolutely ridiculous. If you can find a good used one online for a decent price, I'd go for it. I'd avoid buying a new one, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan