Canvas Window Replacement?

loudboy

Observer
Well I've spent the last couple hours scouring this forum and the internet at large for a solution, but so far have come up empty handed.

I am building my own pop-up camper on the back of my truck. It's coming along great and I've just patterned out my canvas (actually using waterproof vinyl fabric). I want to put windows in the canvas sides, but I don't want to make them from scratch. Window assemblies with screen and zippers seem like something I can get better quality pre-made.

Except I can't find them premade. Does anybody know where to get window assemblies to be sewn in? Thanks a ton!

kerry

Expedition Leader
Sorry I can't help but it's a very good question. I think quite a few people would replace old window/screen combos on their campers rather than the whole fabric if it was possible.

C p weinberger

I used to own a pop up camper that needed canvas repairs, when I visited my family in Wisconsin I took the camper to the local tent/ awning maker and he fixed the issues for me. He said he could make a complete new canvas suit for it if I wanted from scratch.
In your case, you could take it to a tent maker, have them put the Velcro inserts in, And you would not have to do a complete removal a second time.
FYI, when they make commercial safari tented camp canvas in Africa They usually put wide Velcro on either side of the zip. And just replace the Velcro / zip insert as that is a wear item.
Good luck

kerry

Expedition Leader
Velcroing in the windows is a very interesting idea. How weathertight would that be?

loudboy

Observer
No weathertight enough, for me! My motivation to build this pop-up with a hard roof and vinyl fabric was my frustration in regular RTTs getting and staying wet in the rain. Big wads of velcro is just asking for moisture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998