Canyon inspired homebuilt

6btEX

Observer
I have been camping and backpacking for years. I also have had several camping trailers over the years.
I have a tow hauler and an off road cargo style trailer.
This is an effort to make something more useful than my current trailers.
Its not an option for me to purchase a Canyon, so here is my next best option.cbbfe8afad63855f331e38a1cc41234e.jpg

DSCF1366.jpg

Sb_Moto

Adventurer
I am interested to see how you handle the raised roof and canvas. I really wanted to do a roof like the canyon, but the added complexity scared me.

6btEX

Observer
I am interested to see how you handle the raised roof and canvas. I really wanted to do a roof like the canyon, but the added complexity scared me.

Yes, it will add some complexity to it.
At this point in my life I am more afraid of regretting not trying to do something, than doing something wrong.
I will have some help from a friend who used to do upholstery.
Worse case, I will have a short camper.

FMF

Adventurer
Looking forward to this build! I was in the same boat. Love that VMI trailer but at this time in my life buying one is not an option. So my wife and I choose to build as well.

6btEX

Observer
Funny you should ask, planning on taking it out of storage this weekend. I have had way too much customer work to even think about it all summer.
Things are getting back to a steady pace, so I am back at it.
Some inspiration from my last trip came from sleeping in the back of my Cruiser wishing I had got it done already.
I have been gathering parts all summer though. Windows and a couple of compartment doors here awaiting install.
Will post some pics when I can.

Mcm2176

I've been sketching out something similar - looking forward to seeing your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6btEX

Observer
20160905_125854.jpg
20160905_130112.jpg
20160905_130202.jpg

A little progress, but can't work too hard on a holiday weekend:beer:

That's my Fummins towing it.
I plan on towing it mostly with my Landcruiser.
The wheels and tires will eventually match. These have the wrong width and offset.

BajainMD

Less sophisticated but traveling a similar path.

Just came across your thread and saw your sketch on the first page and thought to myself... how cool. Just with some pencil and paper and little research I came up an idea for this starting back in April. Not as off-road capable as yours as my tow rig will not be up to par with most vehicles here, but fun none the less. Here is mine:
20160907_192430.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman