Canyonland's White Rim - gas? (Apr '07)

MHead

Adventurer
Thanks!

Thanks for advice from all above. Based on what I see and also on conversations with Cany NPS personnel I'm going without extra fuel. I can make 300 miles on pavement and the ground seems mostly hard. Cany personnel say I can drive a lot of it in 2-wheel so I'll save there.

I'd take fuel but I'm packed to the gills with 4 in my Cherokee (see my home made roof tent in the jeep vehicle section this site http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4802). There just isn't any room left.

Special thanks to Erik for a really great www site. I was all over it. It is really hard to blend off-road ability with comfort. I'm impressed that you are able to live full-time, and realllly impressed that you can hold a job from... anywhere!

I see from the current blog you are in south east Utah. Look for a red XJ next week.

Mike

kcowyo

ExPo Original
gjackson said:
Actually the station is a Shell and it's just past the 313 turn off if you are going north from Moab.

cheers

Graham, if you're thinking of the Shell by the campground & outpost just past the 313 turn off, the gas station was closed when I went by last Fall.

Maybe it's a seasonal business? All I know is that was where I intended to fill up, but I had to continue north up to Green River on I-70 to get gas.

Just an FYI, FWIW....:snorkel:

gjackson

FRGS
Graham, if you're thinking of the Shell by the campground & outpost just past the 313 turn off, the gas station was closed when I went by last Fall.

Good to know KC. I've used that ststion quite a bit and in most seasons, so I don't think is it seasonal. Maybe a new thing?

When carrying extra gas, when do you transfer it to the main tank?

I transfer it as soon as I can. I keep my jerries pretty low on the truck, but not as low as the main tank. The rack on the rear with full jerries makes the door harder to open. Also I calculate all of my fuel by milage and use the fuel guage as backup, so I'm not looking for a reminder. And, running a diesel, I'd rather not run it dry; self-priming works, but can still be a pain.

Just my system.

cheers

rgsiii

Observer
Last year in My FZJ80, I had no problems with just my standard tank (25 gallons and about 15mpg on highway). I did have an auxilary tank and a Jerry can that were not used.

White Rim is gorgeous and it is great that you are spending a good bit of time on it. Take more film or memory cards than you think you will need.

MHead

Adventurer
Made it!

As of 15-APR-2007 the gas station at junction of 313 and 191 is open. This is the closest gas to White Rim Trail. Topped off there.

My Jeep XJ averaged 14.7 MPG over the entire trip of nearly 2000 miles. However on the 174 mile segment that included pavement of 313 to Schafer trail, Shafer, White rim and Taylor Canyon trails (85 miles) and return to Moab I averaged 11.1 MPG. I calculate 8.8 MPG on the Schafer, White Rim, and Taylor Canyon trails. So I got a little better than half of my normal street mileage on the dirt.

Schafer, White Rim, and Taylor Canyon roads are in great repair right now. Nearly all is 2 wheel drive with very modest clearance. There is no off-camber. Just a spot or maybe two where there was the slightest articulation required. The only 4X4 spots are a couple of climbs. Even here the road is quite good but the exposure on one side makes the timid like me grab for the 4X4 lo-range. It makes me very nervous to think of loosing traction with all that air on one side. The road gets kinda narrow over by Potato Bottom. No problem for a Jeep or a normal wheel base truck, but definitely check with the park if you have a wide rig.

I didn't try Lanthrop canyon. Met very few vehicles over the 4 days 3 nights of travel. Arrived Moab with plenty left in my XJ 20 gal tank.

It's an awesome trip...

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears