Canyonlands, white rim, my first major 100 mile + trip offroad

LJRockstar

Adventurer
Great Report! I did White rim Solo this summer and LOVED it!!! I stayed at White Crack and Potato C. They had 2.5 inches of rain the day before I went! That wash where you did donuts was a MESS! Great Pics!

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
thanks guys, i may end up doing the maze district next time i go out.

I think my next trip is planned for early summer to do all of florida backroads down to key west and come back up the west coast of the pennisula.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
After this trip, I have figured out what I need for next time and what I need to make better so thats its a little more enjoyable during the night (sleep issues basically)

my sleeping bag for one sucks!!!
the bed mattress top sucks too, that thing was hard and it shouldnt have been.

I need a fridge badly, I would have loved to make some breakfast in the morning. So that maybe what I ask for Christmas If i can beg it out of my parents lol.

a new cargo drawer system in the back, taller and more organized, not organized enough.

some way to secure my loadwarrior a lot better to my yak crossbars, it slid halfway off the crossbars a couple of times.

if anybody has suggestions let me know

I have a fix for problem no 1, a slumberjack -25 rated bag.

but im not sure on it, id rather have something soft like that then a synth/down bag. i wont be in a tent, just the back of my truck.

Willman

neliconcept said:
I need a fridge badly, I would have loved to make some breakfast in the morning. So that maybe what I ask for Christmas If i can beg it out of my parents lol.

Are your parents looking for another son????

J/K

You must have great parents......let us know if the begging works out on the fridge!

:)

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
Willman said:
Are your parents looking for another son????

J/K

You must have great parents......let us know if the begging works out on the fridge!

:)

well ill be contacting Sierraexpeditions if I do get it out of them.

Right now my wish list for xmas is, a sleeping bag, some lightforce striker 170s, which i have never seen in person so that is debatable, id like to see how they would fit on my tjm. a gps usb thing for my laptop, laptop mount and some software

or the fridge by itself and nothing else.

they know im doing this as a passion, and i think they know its getting me somewhere beyond laziness.

Willman

neliconcept said:
well ill be contacting Sierraexpeditions if I do get it out of them.

Right now my wish list for xmas is, a sleeping bag, some lightforce striker 170s, which i have never seen in person so that is debatable, id like to see how they would fit on my tjm. a gps usb thing for my laptop, laptop mount and some software

or the fridge by itself and nothing else.

they know im doing this as a passion, and i think they know its getting me somewhere beyond laziness.

Right on!!!

Let us know....we will take care of you!

I vote for the fridge and a set of lightforces!!!!!

:jumping:

neliconcept said:
After this trip, I have figured out what I need for next time and what I need to make better so thats its a little more enjoyable during the night (sleep issues basically)

my sleeping bag for one sucks!!!

I have a fix for problem no 1, a slumberjack -25 rated bag.

but im not sure on it, id rather have something soft like that then a synth/down bag. i wont be in a tent, just the back of my truck.

While it is not a -25 rated bag, here is what I use for my winter outings:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=245534

I have used it in temperatures down to the single digits, but am not feeling brave enough to get out when temperatures dip into the negatives. It keeps me nice and warm, but not too hot with the -15 degree rating. The cinch straps pull tight around my shoulders and the other one pulls tightly around my face.

I ended up getting a free Coleman Powerchill fridge from my Brother in Law who is a truck driver. I can throw some frozen water bottles in there and keep things really cold for over a week, and still have ice left when I get home.

Thanks for sharing your trip report and great pictures! I hope to do that trail sometime in the Spring. I am open to people from this board tagging along with me if anyone is interested.

Kevin

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
Willman said:
Right on!!!

Let us know....we will take care of you!

I vote for the fridge and a set of lightforces!!!!!

:jumping:

LOL, dude that would make my entire year if i got both, but dont think thats happening.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
neliconcept said:
well my sleeping bag is not that great, one reason im heading to denver tomorrow to see if they have any mummy bags or id like to get a nice -25 slumberjack bag.

it does get cold at night, it was getting to be 80 during day first two days. it was getting nasty, but no it didnt percipitate.

Well I guess I should have taken your words as advice :D

The weather was great until we hit the airport just north of Moab. We literally hit a wall of snow :( . Things were not looking good. I tuned into the weather report on the 2M, the synopsis was scattered snow throughout the day. We decided to head to the visitors center and see what their thoughts were. Just as we guessed they had Shaffer Trail closed and were not issueing permits :cow:

So Plan B... the SR Swell. Turned out great, good weather (cold but dry), lots of wheeling and some epic scenery :cool:

Here is what the Canyonlands visitor center looked like Friday morning :D

Attachments

• SRS_2007 001 (Medium).jpg
    SRS_2007 001 (Medium).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 50

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman