Capanaparo - Cinaruco 2001 (Venezuela)

Alberto_SD

Apure 2001

It is located in the western low plains of Venezuela, between the towns of Achaguas and Pedro Camejo. This trip involved 3 vehicles: my FZJ60, a FZJ80, and a Jeep Wrangler. Nine people total. This trip covered areas between San Fernando de Apure, Puerto Ayacucho, and in between the rivers Capanaparo and Cinaruco.

VenezuelaMap.gif

Again, I apologize for the poor quality of the photos, but they were hard copies that I scanned when I moved to the United States.

Hope you enjoy the photos!

-Alberto

Scan122.jpg

Scan123.jpg

Scan124.jpg

Scan125.jpg

Scan126.jpg

Scan128.jpg

Scan129.jpg

Scan132.jpg

Scan137.jpg

Tucan viajero

Adventurer

Is this "La Macanilla" crossing?

If it is, maybe you should know that the chalana (raft for transporting the vehicles across the river) is no longer there, as unfortunately we now have a bridge in its place.

Too bad, even though it saves a lot of time, particularly during Carnaval and Semana Santa.

Last edited:

Alberto_SD

I am unsure of the exact name of the crossing, but it is thw widest river crossing on the way to Puerto Ayacucho. On the photo you posted we were already heading back to Caracas. The Macanilla could be the name...not sure.

That was one of my last trips before moving to the USA. I really miss those days.

-Alberto

Scott Brady

Founder
Fantastic images and adventure. Thanks for sharing them.

Is this indigenous housing? I know there are still a few indigenous in the far south and west.

Scan140.jpg

Alberto_SD

Fantastic images and adventure. Thanks for sharing them.

Is this indigenous housing? I know there are still a few indigenous in the far south and west.

Scan140.jpg

Hi Scott,

It is indigenous housing. There are quite a few in the Apure - Amazonas area in Venezuela. There are also many in the Bolivar state.

I am glad you enjoyed the photos. I surely miss those trips back home :)

Tucan viajero

Adventurer
Last edited:

DarioCarrera

Adventurer
Looks like la macanilla, the crossing also looks a lot like the one in puerto Paez just crossing over to Puerto Ayacucho on the Orinoco river, but the river width doesn't match.

Last edited:

Rastaman

There's something about that lush green that is magical. Can't see it in the pictures (scanned 35mm photos).

I have a few pictures of Cinaruco myself. I'll post a couple later.

Adios.

StevePlatt

http://leveretcroft.com

I lived in Venezuela 1970-76 and made this trip in 1974 with a Land Rover Toyota Land Cruiser.

Orinoco-019-2.jpgOrinoco-021-2.jpg

Two of our climbing trips to the Amazon Region are available at leveretcroft.com

Autana Cover.jpgVenezuela Cover.jpg

And a novel based on my time in Venezuela can be found at leveretcroft.com

Terra Firma Cover.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998