Captain Texas Anvil JKU build

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Give me some lip-sink music...NOT!

I was doing great until I saw this picture.
I thought for sure the Jeep engineers blocked Milli Vanilli...
Oh the humanity. :oops:

:elkgrin:

IMG_9010_zpslratb79c.jpg

Looks like you guys had a great day! :beer:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
I was doing great until I saw this picture.
I thought for sure the Jeep engineers blocked Milli Vanilli...
Oh the humanity. :oops:

:elkgrin:

IMG_9010_zpslratb79c.jpg

Looks like you guys had a great day! :beer:

:********::********: We had it turned down as we were talking, we weren't paying attention to the radio.

Thanks though!

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Yeah, that's just it. You shouldn't have to pay attention to the radio. It should come on an warn you ahead of time about loose lips syncing ships...
I mean this is "Jeep, since 1941" and all that. ;)

Any way, it looked like a great day, and a great rescue mission. :victory:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Parts came in!

Got my AEV jack stand and love it, fits perfectly in the JK cubby just as advertised.

The AEV water pump.... So I don't have a big enough socket to unbolt the bolts securing the water tanks to the frame so I have to get a bigger socket sometime this weekend. :mad:

I did get my new TMR Customs JKU door hinge liners and I am really impressed with them. Wow are the factory liners total crap. They were already starting to show signs of wear so I said "Why not" and bought replacements. The new liners were more of a future protection mod, not a "I need to do something with the Jeep" kinda thing. :)

Anyway they installed pretty well. Had to hammer out the old liners and wow they are crappy. Really impressed with the new ones. I am going to be running without doors for the rest of the week so I will report when I get the doors back on to see if there is any difference.

Old Liners:
uO4ppZ0.jpg

Axtztf2.jpg

New Liners:
rJTafSL.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
So I have been working out the numbers I believe that I can be able to get new wheels and tries done by July.:sombrero:

Planing on getting a set of 2013+ Rubicon wheels and wrapping them in 33-35" BFG AT KO2. Im getting pretty excited because I'm getting pretty sick of the stock Sahara wheels.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
So I have been working out the numbers I believe that I can be able to get new wheels and tries done by July.:sombrero:

Planing on getting a set of 2013+ Rubicon wheels and wrapping them in 33-35" BFG AT KO2. Im getting pretty excited because I'm getting pretty sick of the stock Sahara wheels.

Look forward to it! Should be able to get a set of Rubicon takeoffs for fairly cheap if you are patient and selective. Mine came off a 2013 model for $500 with KMs and had never seen offroad. You will likely find them with the stock BFG KMs mounted, but you could always run them for a little. Then when they mount your future KO2s this summer, just sell the KMs separately. Just an idea:)

Last edited:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
I have been searching for a set of Rubicon wheels for a while now and I finally found the right set and pulled the trigger.

These came off of a 2013 Rubicon and they do have some light scuffs on them but honestly I really don't care. I got them for a steal! $350 for a set of 5! Got to love being in a group like Austin Jeep People.

Currently the wheels will be going into storage until fall time this year when I have the money to get some 35" BFG KO2s. Glad I snagged these at great price!

Az93mNw.jpg

P89vqQa.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
So my birthday was last week and I've got some spending money on the Jeep. I am looking to get rid of the factory running boards and get some rock slider.

I am wanting to get some Rock Hard Tube Style rock sliders and I am wondering if anyone is running them. I have heard very good things about them and I am the kind of guy that demands quality parts. Any feedback would be awesome!

I am also thinking again about getting a Cobra 75 Setup. 50/50 chance I will just procrastinate and forget about it. Oh well. Lol.

Went to Cars and Coffee today and snapped some photos of the Jeep. God I love Anvil.
BpoJBrt.jpg

cbkFvjE.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Again, decided to talk myself out of rock sliders and a CB so that I can save my money and get some BFG KO2s. The struggle is real.

I would hopefully be getting new tires in late July, maybe August. I would have to get the AEV tire carrier as well because I don't want to run anything larger than stock on the tailgate. I have had personal experience with that on our TJ. :sombrero:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Just my input and opinion, but I wouldn't hold out any longer than you should on the CB. Simple, quality setups are fairly inexpensive and you will keep regretting not installing one each time you head out on the trail with other guys using CBs to communicate. Then again, this is advise from a guy that keeps holding out on a CB even when I have the money to do it and trust me, it keeps biting me in butt every time.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Just my input and opinion, but I wouldn't hold out any longer than you should on the CB. Simple, quality setups are fairly inexpensive and you will keep regretting not installing one each time you head out on the trail with other guys using CBs to communicate. Then again, this is advise from a guy that keeps holding out on a CB even when I have the money to do it and trust me, it keeps biting me in butt every time.

Well let me rephrase. I have been wanting a dedicated CB setup like a Cobra 75 in my Jeep. I have a set of old (Midland?) handheld CBs and those have worked well for me.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
My vote is KO2s, unless you play in big rocks. Then get the sliders first.

I wheeled with a guy in a well built heavy-ish Tacoma this weekend, who was running KO2s. They hooked up very well in the mud, rocks, soft/hard loose dirt, and did OK in the heavy snow.
Granted he's a good driver, and that always helps, but the tires still impressed me.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
My vote is KO2s, unless you play in big rocks. Then get the sliders first.

I wheeled with a guy in a well built heavy-ish Tacoma this weekend, who was running KO2s. They hooked up very well in the mud, rocks, soft/hard loose dirt, and did OK in the heavy snow.
Granted he's a good driver, and that always helps, but the tires still impressed me.

Yea I've been staying away from rocks because I still have stock tires. Would feel more confident with some better rubber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle