Carbon Neutral Expedition - CNE I (Spring 2010)

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Some fun surprises and pleasantries coming ;). I was just talking with Kurt tonight and he has some really good ideas in terms of 2011 planning. The truck WILL be on the trip. I am sooo excited... :)

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Maybe we can check it out at Armado this April? I'm going again in 2011 and a few others from occupied Northern VA will be joining this time, including either Lance or Cam.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
It's a good question. I'm not 100% sure I'll be there this year but will definitely keep you posted. Maybe you guys should come on next years. We're thinknig of tying this one into possibly Cruiser Moab rather than Overland Expo... I'd love to see Lance again (its been... 13 years? - since the days of the Rock Lobster.. :) ).

I'd love to give you guys a tour of Utah... Correct, Kurt and I would love to give you guys a real tour of Utah if you'd like. We're thinking of tying in some Nevada as well... Possibly a lot of Nevada... :)

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Hmm... that sounds like a real good plan. Depends on when in 2011 but maybe start looking a little harder at 2012? We were talking about a club run to Utah in 2012 - this would be an even better plan.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Sounds good! Definitely always consider yourselves welcome and hopefully we can make it happen. Again it would be a great pleasure of mine to show some of you guys around the area and Utah!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Anybody have a full copy of the magazine or know where I could score one? I thought Chef Alex said he might have one for me?

RR1

Explorer
Shortly after Craig committed to join, he suggested a new certified installer of his for his Plant Drive components, who I had never heard of, but also quickly became close with over several long conversations over the phone -- Scott Oncken of Eco Off-Road. Clearly a man after my own heart as well, someone who works on Rovers and cruisers and specializes in diesel conversions, and is tremendously knowledgeable and does some of the cleanest mechanical work I have ever seen. He was once a Washington D.C. officer of some sort (Secret Service or something along these lines) who eventually left to go to Wyotek to learn about cars (no small, or inexpensive feat as one of the best automotive schools in the country) and started this company and manages to only work on only older vehicles by choice.

He had a recently acquired 1966 FJ45 Short Wheel Base, Removeable Top Land Cruiser Pickup (the cream of the crop of FJ45 pickups) and (I just recently put 2 and 2 together that it is a truck that I know well from when a gentleman named Dukes owned it up in Jackson Hole) - yes, this is the famous blue Land Cruiser pickup that was in Wilson/Jackson for all of those years for any tourist to Jackson Hole who might have seen this truck and it's also been in dozens of catalogs over the years. Scott decided in about January or February (fairly last minute) to quickly hammer out a diesel conversion and all other modifications to make it an expedition vehicle as well, and bring it on the trip, and was also working on it down to the wire much as I was on my own truck. Scott has highlighted the build here, on the ih8mud.com forums, for anyone interested in checking it out. He also managed to break his hand from a piece of metal that was caught in a drill press, about 1/2 way through the build (so we thought there was no way he would finish) and showed up in a cast. Yet remarkably, he finished it, and on time...

The only mechanical issue he had, for a virgin truck, was a freak rear broken shock mount and a brand new alternator, off ebay, that failed about 1000 miles in. Both were two things that were completely out of control and neither impacted anything, and that he had only these small issues is simply remarkable. Here is a photo of him tinkering with something, along with Kurt Williams, on the FJ45, and then another shot from the rear. Specs are a Cummins B 3.3 Turbo Diesel (a nice quiet super reliable and relatively inexpensive Cummins that was brand new direct from them. This should be the engine all people install rather than 300tdi or HO 2.8), with a Toyota 5 speed Land Cruiser transmission (the famous H55F), and Plant Drive components as well. A work of beauty...

846442095_tMatA-L.jpg

May I ask a few questions?

How quiet is that diesel, and how does it do on the highway, will it do 80 mph comfortably?

Is there a video of it running?

I am kicking around the idea of doing a FJ45 myself, possible diesel conversion, I just don't know if will drive me nuts (noise wise) or be able to pull a trailer with two dirt bikes (KTM 250/450), and one ADV style bike. (KTM 950 Super Enduro)

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Best bet would be to give Scott @ Eco Offroad a call at the link above. I don't think he spends much time on Portal if any at all? Its been well over a year since that trip but I think it ran pretty quiet relative to diesels. We have a few slow movers in the group speed wise but Scott wasn't necessarily one of them but I doubt we ever did more than say 65 as a group.

RR1

Explorer
Best bet would be to give Scott @ Eco Offroad a call at the link above. I don't think he spends much time on Portal if any at all? Its been well over a year since that trip but I think it ran pretty quiet relative to diesels. We have a few slow movers in the group speed wise but Scott wasn't necessarily one of them but I doubt we ever did more than say 65 as a group.

Thank you.

cruiseroutfit

Bump had a customer stop by today that had read about the CNE many moons ago. Asked if anymore were taking place? How many CNE's still hanging around here on Portal? Nate & Bill, you guys around? I know Dre is super active on the moto forums. What are you all up to these days?

cruiseroutfit

Not super active but definitely enjoying the KTM...

We need to plan a ride this year man, maybe something similar to the CNE route :cool: Not sure if you heard but they are planning to pave the Burr Trail, Notom Road and asking to pave the HITR Road :(, I actually just met with your old bud Ray Bloxham in regards to this, super cool guy... you were right, we get along great :D

I was just thinking about this thread and finally updating it...

Well get after it! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle