Cargo Rack mounting question

NXN

I came across an online article on the build up of a 2007 Tundra DC called project Deep Woods. Quite a build when you are getting free parts thrown at you at every step to build the perfect get-away vehicle. I would provide a link but the articles are so cut up it would be easier for you to "google" Project Deepwoods.

As part of the build they installed a Westin brand cargo rack directly to an A.R.E. bed cap to lessen the overall height of the vehicle. No feet or load bars at all.

Here are my questions. Have any of you done it this way? Whether you have or not what are the pros and cons to this type of install? Would it keep you from adding and RTT?

I am mostly interested in the cons because I am seriously thinking about doing it this way.

96discoXD

Adventurer
I did it on an ARE aluminum commercial topper with a Yakima Load Warrior.
I think on a fiberglass topper you would be fine as long as you used aluminum plates on top and underneath the fiberglass skin to spread the load.

DesertBoater

Adventurer
I'd guess that you want some sort of space between the rails of the rack and the roof itself. Most fiberglass toppers have some curvature to their roofs both front and back as well as side to side. You'd need to have some sort of spacers to keep the rack from rubbing the gelcoat off of the roof. Other than that though, it shouldn't be a problem to create a sturdy mounting system that was extremely low profile for your box.

NXN

Most fiberglass toppers have some curvature to their roofs both front and back as well as side to side. You'd need to have some sort of spacers to keep the rack from rubbing the gelcoat off of the roof. Other than that though, it shouldn't be a problem to create a sturdy mounting system that was extremely low profile for your box.

This makes alot of sense. I have a Jason brand top that I got for a song off of CL. It does have some "curviness to the roof" The spacer idea is very good. I did not consider that.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears