Cargo systems: yea or nay?

SeaRubi

Explorer
Instead of cluttering heron's thread up again with why we all hate cargo systems, maybe we can put that stuff in here so he can talk about what he needs to build his boxes :sombrero:

My opinion: if done well, I think the storage boxes look good and are highly functional for things you know you're gonna need ... like recovery gear and basic tools. being able slide out a drawer and have immediate access to high-use gear is invaluable when you're in a convoy of multiple rigs and trying to get it going again. The other thing it promotes is getting all that gear safely stowed again once you're under way. If you've got everything stuffed in a pelican cases or the like, it takes more time to break out the box. I know some guys will carry their gear up on a roof-rack and leave the case in-place, but that takes up time, too, if you need to run back to said case for some other bit of gear you need. Then you need a buddy or co-driver to hand all your gear back up to the roof piece by piece.

The other advantage is that you can just leave all that gear in the truck, permanently, and never be without it. If you are inclined to be a good Samaritan during wintertime or for someone who's in a jam, it's nice to have a strap and some shackles on hand on not resting safely at home inside a case.

Disadvantages obviously are increased weight, and a reduction of overall storage volume. I think the reduction is worth it in a vehicle like a Discovery or Defender which already has a tall cargo space. In a rig like a Range Rover it starts to make less sense, but can still work well.

your thoughts!

salve7

Adventurer
I agree that as long as it is done with some thought, it is a good idea. I think most people will carry the same amount of gear no matter which route they go, I know that I do, but having an organized, easy to access system would be safer and facilitate a repair or recovery in the least amount of time possible. Lord knows you don't want to take a shackle to the back of the head in the event of a rollover or some such. As far as storage drawers vs. pelican cases my thoughts are, its the same s### different pile. As long as they are secured and work for that person then go for it.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I think storage systems can increase the amount of volume you have, not decrease it. When I'm packing, I'm loath to pile things higher than the line of the rear seat. That's why I'm planning a cargo system that incorporates a load barrier, so that I can safely stack right to the roof.

The advantages of drawers over simple cases, is that you can access what's in the drawers, without having to empty everything that is piled on top of it. The difference here is if you're just day wheeling, or on a longer trip. If you're on a long trip, you're likely to have camping gear stacked on top of your recovery gear.

The problem with drawers, is in certain highly technical terrains, accessing it could be a problem. When I got stuck in the swamp, my doors were slowing down the water coming in, and I bailed out the window. If I'd had to open the back door to get into a drawer, that would have allowed the water to rush in. Or, could have been impossible with enough water pressure. Same deal on a failed climb where you've fallen backwards into a boulder or tree. Now you're gear is locked in the truck and you can't get it.

For this reason, I usually take my gear out and have it on the floor on the passenger side. There's gotta be a better way.

Scott mentioned having a storage locker on the floor of the second row, under my kid's feet, and that has some merit for sure.

Scott Brady

Founder
It is going to be personal preference.

I like drawers for ease of access. It is just far too inefficient IMO to stack Pelicans and somehow keep them all properly secured, etc. I use drawers and also put the fridge on a slide. Everything is immediately accessible. However, I store the kitchen kit and the medical kit in Pelicans, because those need to be moved about in camp or easily transportable.

One good argument for the Pelicans or transportable boxes only, is that you can remove all of the weight of contents from the truck in certain stuck scenarios. Pulling 4-600 lbs. out of the truck can make a difference. It also allows you to easily configure the vehicle back to daily driver status. My trucks are always loaded and ready to go. We come back from a trip, clean and inspect everything and then put it back in service. Spending ~ 100 days in the field each year, storage and organization is pretty important to me.

stolenheron

Explorer
i had a cargo system, and i think due to laziness i'm gonna go the pelican route with 2 1650s...i'll be able to give an honest comparison in a few months.

I loved my cargo box system and it really worked fantastic, i only would have changed minor things to my original design as i described in my thread.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Scott, what in particular do you do with the recovery gear? That's the only real drawback I see to a drawer system.

SeaRubi

Explorer
rob - with drawers or a cargo case, it's best to anticipate the recovery in advance. if you have any question as to getting stuck just TCOB before getting there.

pre-rig a strap before you take the next dive off into a swamp, river, or a mud pit. tie a small length of rope to the middle of the strap and run it back to the cab. if you get stuck, just roll down the window and toss the rope over to someone on the bank. chances are they'll be able to stretch it over enough to get a winch-line attached with a shackle in the middle. If not, crawl on out the window - at least everything is ready to go and you don't have to open any doors.

Some people leave the winch line unspooled 20 or 30 ft and coiled up on the front bull bar in a figure 8 just for this purpose. you're still going to have to get out if self-recovering to manipulate the winch lever, but it'll make recovery a bit quicker to rig up. Likewise, it helps to have the tree strap and your shackles ready to grab, anyway, before you get stuck and need to rig.

SeaRubi

Explorer
It is going to be personal preference.

I like drawers for ease of access. It is just far too inefficient IMO to stack Pelicans and somehow keep them all properly secured, etc. I use drawers and also put the fridge on a slide. Everything is immediately accessible. However, I store the kitchen kit and the medical kit in Pelicans, because those need to be moved about in camp or easily transportable.

A couple of friends run this same way, with the drawers and fridge on top. it seems like they've always got what they need in-hand while I'm burning daylight looking and digging around for stuff.

Are there any companies that make the drawer systems suitable for a Rover?

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott, what in particular do you do with the recovery gear? That's the only real drawback I see to a drawer system.

The recovery gear is always in a bag, easy to pull from the drawer for transport. On the Jeep, I keep the bag behind the PS seat, lashed down.

On the Disco, it is an ARB kit, in a canvas bag and located in the large drawer. Also easy to get to.
picture-3.jpg

picture-4.jpg

National Luna fridge

Both drawer systems are from Adventure Trailers

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
rob - with drawers or a cargo case, it's best to anticipate the recovery in advance. if you have any question as to getting stuck just TCOB before getting there.

I already do get things ready.

Picture243.jpg

In fact, in the infamous swamp picture, the strap is coiled up on the hood within reach of the driver's window. I was just a little optimistic having it hooked up to the front, instead of the rear...:Wow1: . Just trying to find an alternative to having a pile of heavy steel junk on the floor of the passenger seat.

Are there any companies that make the drawer systems suitable for a Rover?

Not that I know of, but Adventure Trailers has some kind of synthetic knock-down drawer kits.

Abel Villesca

Explorer
Defender Storage Box

I've got two of these that sit on the wheel well of a Defender 90. They work great for storing tools and recovery gear and can be accessed without opening the rear door. They aren't as quickly accessible as a drawer system, but allow me to put the rear bench seat in the truck on the rare occasions I have more than one passenger.

toolbox01.jpg

I think Troy Smith still makes them. The pics and link below are from D-90.com.
http://www.d-90.com/mod/toolbox/index.htm

Ray_G

Explorer
I think I've posted my version here and I know it's covered in the massive thread on Dweb about cargo areas, but one alternative to storage systems (i.e. drawers) to cases is to utilize a shelf that essentially prevents the load from shifting if something were to happen, and also maximizes space on top for loading other cargo. My truck has a shelf that is basically the height of the rear seats folded down-allowing things to lie flat all the way across (or short people like me to lay down). Under the shelf you can see 4 bucketboss heavy canvas bags. The black ones contain tools, the interior right has a stove & other related food/survival gear, the interior left has some recovery gear. Other recovery gear is staged elsewhere in the truck, or in small plastic bins that are bolted to the roof rack flooring. Forward of these bags is actually a 5th bag that contains spares, as well as forward facing floor mounted safe.

What I've found is this system works well for keeping everything I want in the truck. Tie downs integrated into the shelf work well for securing cargo (as do ones on the modified trim panels that go up to the window sills.

What I was concerend with regarding drawers is there has been times when I didn't want to, or indeed could not, open my rear door. Didn't want to b/c of water ingress concerns, or couldn't b/c having the rear depressed while the nose was elevated coming out of an embankement/water crossing. With my setup I could, if needed, fold the seats forward and pull from inside the cab-since it's modular in bags it's all theoretically accessible albeit a royal pain (but a lot less of a pain then disassembly of a drawer.

This also speaks towards why my recovery gear is spread loaded throughout in places where I can get to one of the types of item I will need regardless of pitch/angle/cant/whatever....

Just throwing it out there for the discussion.
cheers-
Ray
Rear Storage1 (Small).JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998