Cargo Trailer Aerodynamics

KIRBY

I'm trying to keep the airflow from dropping down to hit the front of the cargo carrier. I guess I could telescope the tongue, and check my mileage at different lengths. My Prius gives cumulative MPG readings. The trunk lip is 44 inches from the ground, and the front of the carrier is 39 inches from the ground. The carrier is 67 inches long, and I plan to stretch the trailer box by 19 inches.You may not have noticed, but the carrier is mounted backwards from the way it would be on the top of a car, to give it a rearward taper. I appreciate your learned advice.

KIRBY

Will having the coupler ball close to the TV give a smaller angle of bend in a turn than having it further away from the TV?

Kent Wold

Just remember that the shorter the distance between the rear wheels of the TV and wheels of the trailer makes for a faster moment of turn when backing up the trailer.
Longer distance is slower moment of turn and an easier backing experience.
Also don't get to much weight up front or the trailer becomes very unstable when towing. It's a balancing act and there are many variables to consider.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

KIRBY

Thank you. I plan to park away from stores so I can pull out. (want to position the carrier as close as possible to the TV without crunching on full lock forward turns) There will be much experimenting to get ball weight correct, and trailer balance. Since I'm putting a 67" long carrier on a 48" long trailer, there will be some encroachment inn the tongue area, and I'm wondering if I should regain some of that lost distance with an 11 3/4 extended ball mount, or should I keep the ball close to the car, and pull the tongue further forward? What are the differences in dynamics betwen a long ball mount to a short ball mount. I can experiment with tongue attachment, stretching the frame, and axle location (9 1/2" forward), but I don't want to buy two ball mounts.514223

Last edited:

KIRBY

By way of explanation, Stock trailer too short. Add 19" extension at the front, and move tongue and 1st and 2nd crossmember 19" forward, and add 3rd crossmember behind axle. Move axle

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Air in from the bottom and sides has a high impact on drag as well. I’m guessing (just guessing) that you will lose a high % of the overall mileage from that car based on its design specifically intended to reduce drag. Maybe 20% loss? Look at the bottom of the car and how smooth it is, now think about the turbulence on the bottom of the trailer.

KIRBY

Planning to smooth the bottom with a flat piece of something thin, rigid, and waterproof to keep the crossmembers out of the air flow. might airfoil the axle. keeping my milage is why I want to close couple the trailer.

Kent Wold

My concern is that the trailer looks tongue heavy..doubt it can be posted here easily but I've seen a physics explanation on a Facebook video tht clearly showed the difference between a balanced load a load to heavy in the rear etc..you can quickly lose control of the vehicle or at least have an uncomfortable drive if the loading isn't correct..

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

KIRBY

Yes, well, the axle can be moved more forward if need be to find the proper balance. I know that will shorten the WB more, and I don't yet know how much tongue I need, as I don't have the trailer yet.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’m confused as to why the overhang is “undesirable”? Those boxes are generally strong enough to overhang, they only mount on a couple of little crossbars on top of a car. It seems like you are taking on a bunch of work to achieve little or nothing. Just bolt the box to the trailer, extend the tongue to prevent contact at full turn and go. Learning how to load the weight will achieve the balance you need. How much will this thing weigh?

ITTOG

The further you move the ball away from the vehicle the tighter your turns can be. I know a guy that moved the ball almost 18" out from the vehicle to improve turning radius. He could almost jackknife the trailer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

NatersXJ6

Explorer
If the picture is true to your desired configuration, that overhang won’t trap any more wind than extending the frame by the same amount.

I’m often guilty of chasing projects far down the road of diminishing returns in a quest to achieve what I believe is “right”... trust me ... this is what the beginning of that trip looks like.

You could make an extremely simple “backbone” type of trailer with a single cross member triangulated to hold the axle, maybe even a single transverse leaf spring if you wanted to get extremely low profile. A second cross member holds the cargo box, and you’re done. At 300 lbs, you have nothing significant in it.

Think of a light rowboat or jet ski trailer. Heck, maybe even a commercial kayak or canoe trailer shortened.

KIRBY

The further you move the ball away from the vehicle the tighter your turns can be.
Thank you. I suspect leverage might be a problem. A foot out might double the receiver weight that half a foot out would feel. I've been doing some drawing, and I think I can extend the tongue by the 19 inches my carrier would overhang the frame, and keep the 31 inches of free tongue length. I'll post the series when I get to the computer they are on.

KIRBY

I’m often guilty of chasing projects far down the road of diminishing returns in a quest to achieve what I believe is “right”... trust me ... this is what the beginning of that trip looks like.
Yes, I overbuild. I once built a bunk bed for my kids, and I used 4 by 4s. Engineers are taught to put in a minimal amount of overbuilding (I think it's 15%), but I usually take that to 200%.
I believe I have come up with a "sandwich" solution that will allow me to extend the tongue safely, and turn the whole trailer (minus the springs, axle, and tires) into a four inch thick flat plane. I'll post it when I am near the other computer.

KIRBY

The Build:

Attachments

• Trailer Modification 1.JPG
    Trailer Modification 1.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Trailer Modification 2.JPG
    Trailer Modification 2.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Trailer Modification 3.JPG
    Trailer Modification 3.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 18