Cargo trailer base camp for dirt bikes?

zimm17

Observer
What about a cargo trailer base camp for dirt bikes? My brother and I plan to have KTM 500's and my 2 kids will probably end on some kind of trail e-motorcycles (planning this for 2023). Traveling the west to places like Moab, Colorado, Arizona, Glamis, etc.

I was thinking a tandem axle cargo trailer- spec it with insulation (or do it myself), RV windows, roof A/C, maxx air vent, wire for lights and shore power, etc. Have an onboard battery and solar on the roof.

For the inside- was thinking of making everything very portable and configureable. Maybe a pair of disco-bed bunks for the 4 of us that can be put away. Folding toilet with WAG bags (overlanded with WAG's for 10 days and worked fine). I already have enough camping gear to handle kitchen duties. Maybe make and pack a chuck box. I have a Honda EU2000 to run the A/C if needed. E-track or L-track to secure the bikes- maybe removable wheel chocks. With this configuration, the trailer can be emptied in minutes to use for hauling stuff if needed.

Size? I was playing with floorplan software and it looks like 7x14 is about what would required.

D

Deleted member 9101

Building it is cool and all... But you can probably buy a small toy hauler thst weighs less and works better for about the same amount.

john61ct

Adventurer
A taller unit with a raising/lowering platform

would let you keep the basement for dirty bike stuff

human stuff packed above, clear sleeping space at night

maybe food store / fridge in a small standing galley toward the nose at a side door

marret

There are various builds to do what you mention over on advrider.com.

I have a Sportsmobile, but bought and am slowly configuring a 6x12 cargo trailer to provide more space and carry toys. I've slowed the build due to COVID. I installed vertical E-track for a bed platform so I can raise and lower based on cargo. Built a lower forward cabinet and will add an upper. Will have a sink in the forward cabinet, removable shower with curtain track in the ceiling, hot water, and Thetford toilet. I bought it 6" higher, so 78", and with a lift, 30 amp electric, insulated walls, A/C window port, windows, locking RV style door latch, and narrowed axle to match the van's track. L-track on the floor. I am using a movable Black Widow chock (it has arms that extend to the side) for my bike.

atgv1.JPG

walletrack.JPG

Vinyl plank floor installed:

atgi4.jpg

Forward lower cabinet out of extruded aluminum:
atgi5.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears