Cargo trailer to workshop conversion

CheleA

Hello Folks,
We have a project coming up that will require us to setup a 6'x12' enclosed trailer as a workshop for about 6 months, we already bought the trailer. We will be sitting inside the trailer 8-12 hours a day so comfort is a big thing, the project will take place during the summer, we expect 90-110deg temperatures -- no humidity. We will installing two luggage doors(14"x14") and two windows -- the windows are mainly to be able to see outside and break the monotony of being inside:( The trailer will have cabinets and worktop inside, but that is not much of an issue. The questions I have for you are:

Insulation: Is it OK to spray foam and then cover it with the 1/8" plywood it came with? We hope they can spray it about 1" thick so it won't get in the way of the plywood. Or, is it better to use foam sheets as I have seen several members do in this forum? I have a feeling that when it's all said and done, the cost will be very similar.

Cooling: I have scoured the forum and so far I think a window mounted mounted on box inside the trailer might be the best option-- it will be vented to the outside. I know it will rob us some space but the trailer is bigger than we need, so space is OK. The window mounted AC units seem to draw the least power(about 450W), the quietest, and the cheapest(about $200) of the different options. We will have shore power most of the time but do have a small generator if needed. We are not concerned about heating the trailer as most of the work will happen during the day and it doesn't get that cold in the evenings.

Cutting openings: I have read that the beams should be framed before the sheetmetal is cut. Is there any way to secure the beams without having to weld them to the remaining beams(rivets, screws, etc)? One window will be in the side door and one luggage door will be in one of the back swing doors. We will cut only two beams in the actual trailer's body.

Thanks for any info you may provide.

Take care

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I think you'll spend more time cleaning up the spray foam to fit the plywood back on then you would putting in the standard 1" stuff. The rest of the process should be pretty straight forward.

Not sure what you could use, other than welding, for the framing. You may be able to try corner bracing from a box store, but not sure how it would hold up to long term use. Good luck!.

Don

-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12