Cargo van Vs Passenger van as a base? Pros\Cons (Ford Transit Connect)

Eddie.

What are your thoughts on the better of the two to start with?

Now for me this vehicle will actually be used daily, not sitting in a driveway or garage until it's time to take a trip.

It will be parked in NYC, on the street.

I'm looking at 1st gen Ford Transit connects.

Now in commercial form they are all over the place and the asking prices are kind of ridiculous. A used taxi can be had for $1000 all day long while the heavily used and abused work trucks have prices ranging from 6k-8k and I've seen a few over 10k.

Civilian models seem to be non existent. I find one once in a blue moon but they are expensive and the civilian models usually have a solid panel on either side of the cargo area and the sliding doors use a solid sheet of non openable glass.

The nice thing about the taxis is that

1. Full glass all around, and the glass is factory tinted 80-90% depending on who did the conversion.
2. The sliding doors have a sliding glass window.
3. The hatch windows pop out in the rear like on some minivans
4. Heavy duty, thick vinyl seats
5. Heavy duty thick vinyl floor
6. Already very well insulated
7. CHEAP, VERY CHEAP
8. When buying a used taxi, the decals are left on, I've been driving a borrowed one around for months and everyone keeps trying to flag me down. Great for a stealth camper\motorcycle hauler. YES a motorcycle just barely fits as long as the front wheel is in between the two front seats.
9. NYC taxi commission requires 4 inspections a year and if there is even a single tiny problem the driver personally gets a $1000 ticket. So if you buy one from an owner\operator instead of a TLC garage with a recent TLC inspection it's all good to go. Plus there are a myriad of 24hr taxi garages here and parts are abundant and cheap.

I do believe the floor of a cargo model is lower, I will have to take a tape measure to be sure. The reason I believe this to be so is that on a cargo model the floor is level and even from the rear of the two front seats all the way to the back.

On the taxi, just in front of the rear passenger seats the floor drops 6" to accommodate your feet. I'm not sure if the chassis is different or if it's all in the thick vinyl floor, but I would like to keep at least one of the rear passenger seats in place, albeit folded in case I need the passenger room. Actually, not that I think about it, the rear seats can't be bolted to anything other than directly to the chassis. Unless it's a removable base under that vinyl floor.

Aside from already talking myself into it, what reason would one have to go for a commercial vehicle over passenger vehicle?

Any reasons a commercial vehicle would be better?

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I can't speak to the transit connect but as for cargo vs passenger we chose cargo for the ability to stealth park it anywhere.
We have a ncv3 sprinter cargo 144" with no rear windows...spent plenty of time in cities like Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco this past summer parked in residential neighborhoods in the downtown areas with no problem...moved everyday and were careful with light at night but it worked out well...even with super tint and window screens I wouldn't have wanted to do this in a windowed van.

Eddie.

Oh I would be making custom window covers, reflectix with black cloth that can be either put in place with either velcro or magnets.

But you wouldn't be able to tell unless you came up to the van and peaked in.

Wouldn't a commercial looking vehicle, parked in a residential area be looked at more closely by law enforcement or someone thinking there is a child abductor in the area?

Heading Out

Adventurer
look at the Wiki page for the Transit Connect. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Transit_Connect

looks like the commercial versions have a 25% import tax. the taxi conversion is also the exclusive vehicle for NYC taxi, so the used market will be flooded and the price low.

My personal opinion would be, if this vehicle is going to live on the streets of NYC a Taxi would blend right in and people may look right past it. once you leave the city and head off into the rest of the world, it will stand out like a sore thumb.

A white transit connect will blend in most anywhere, the commercial will be more secure, but the windows make for a lighter brighter happier interior during the day.

Question, are there black versions of the Taxi used as town cars available? That may be something to consider.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78