Carriage bolt removal on Supreme FRP box?

NuMexJoe

Not sure where else to ask, so am asking here in the hope someone has experience with these things. I need to remove & replace a few of the bolts used on the Supreme service box on my GMC cutaway van. The bolt head looks like a carriage bolt, and the "nut" is some sort of threaded insert that has no discernible way of grabbing it, and no spikes digging into the FRP wall to keep it from spinning. What are they? Any ideas besides drilling them out? I used a grinder on one of the heads to cut two flats for a wrench, but the nut just spins.

Attachments

• Supreme bolt.jpg
    Supreme bolt.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Supreme nut.jpg
    Supreme nut.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 6

NuMexJoe

That's it! I don't like answer, but at least I know what I'm dealing with now. Thanks very much for the help, both of you! I'll try and get some pics up once I'm finished with this minimal build.

Thats a two piece rivet. You have to drill or grind off its head.
Look at Huck website, you probably see it or its equalivent there in ”Hucktainer” series.

Btw, since the 2 pieces can be different OD. (Look at Huck pictures...)The base material holes can be different diameter also.
If you remove the wrong head & try to pound thru the remains, you can end up damaging base material.

RC413

Observer
Ha, I was confused when I first had to work with these.

Look up "campainer nut" They are the replacement of the special rivets. threaded and no rivet tools required.

TRAILER TECH PARTS & SERVICE INC.
11 Site Road
Leola, PA 17540
Phone: 888-461-3683

I think there are two parts guys there... One knows nothing, the other is a wealth of knowledge. If you dont get the info the first time try again.

Direct from the Spartan Supreme website parts department. They can look up your body info and tell you what sizes you will need, a few , measurements go a long way on your end though.

I had good luck using a flap wheel from the inside but going slowly and in stages, do not overheat the metal as it will mess up the FRP. A wet rag to cool it helps as well. If you have to remove them from the outside try to rip all the plastic/rubber off with pliers first so as not to have it turn to goo when ground off.

Go slow, in stages and keep it cool and you will be rewarded with a nice clean hole.

Thanks Ross

Ill look up my pics later today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears