Cash For Clunkers Destroyed 2 NAS D110s!

Pest

Adventurer
So they aren't expedition vehicles, but did anybody see how many Supra's were traded in (hopefully the later models were saved from the crusher)??

Not just old ones... someone traded a 97! Hope they got a hell of a lot more than 4500 for it.

IPSC_GUY

I hated the program from it's inception but to find out that two NAS 110s got anywhere near this is unbelievable. Being that there are only 500 of them every NAS 110 owner out there HAS to realize what they are and what they are worth. Or at least one would think....

On top of that I can't see any dealer letting a 110 enter the program just because his resale, in any condition would be much higher than the $4500.00 Then again ya never know.

I certainly hope this isn't the case.

That reminds me is there a regestry anywher of the 500 NAS 110s?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

James86004

Expedition Leader
That reminds me is there a regestry anywher of the 500 NAS 110s?

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

http://www.lrfaq.org/Defender/D110.db.1.html

Also, check out:

http://www.lrfaq.org/Defender/FAQ.Def.NAS_Defender_93D110.html

'93 Defender 110 (NAS)

* Prototype was built in 1992 and was not given a LRNA number or plate.
* 536 were built.
* US versions were numbered LRNA/1 to LRNA/10 and 1 through 500 of 500. (The first 10 were prototypes).
* Canadian versions were numbered 1 through 25 of 25.
* All were original white with a full external roll cage, except one that was painted Black.
* CDN=Canadian
* All build by LR Special Operations
* MSRP: $39,900
* Two reportedly destroyed in 1995 Malibu fires.
* #13 reported to be in Switzerland (as of 11/97)
* 2 others are reported to be in Germany (as of 11/97)
* Land Rover Hornberg (Los Angeles) reportedly converted two D110s to Black with added luxury features when they were new.
* #468 is in Japan (LRO Jan 1997)
* #499 reportedly destroyed by driving off cliff ~12/95, later spotted in June 1997 in good shape.
* One on Nantucket (unknown LRNA number) Island reported painted Brown. Creed Evens reports that this may be a 1989 D110 that was legally imported.
* #100 was rolled (I have seen photographic evidence of this) by 10/98 and was for sale at that time

cruisertoy

Explorer
The dealer down the road from me had all his clunkers in a huge side lot. I drove around because I had seen an 80 series Landcruiser(I'm a cruiser guy, don't hate me) from the freeway. It was a 91 or 92 in pretty nice shape. As I drove aroudn I counted 4 Discovery's, sorry don't know how to judge the years. They looked to be in average shape with no rust that I could see. There was a Rover with a cool rollaway roof. It had obvious signs of being used for it's intended purpose, but overall was in alright shape. The rust buckets seemed to be the row after row of Ford Explorers, ford and chevy trucks. There was a nice looking Suburban if you can call them nice looking. There was even an old CJ5.

78Bronco

Explorer
Doesn't surprise me that they destroyed these rovers...they probably had issues with the electrics or driveline:ylsmoke:

Willman

Wow....what a list....

Their was a lot of 80 series TLC on that list....hopefully the good ones make it to the junk yard!

:ylsmoke:

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I just feel a need to point this out:

Cash for Clunkers did not destroy these vehicles. PEOPLE chose to trade in their vehicles. And further CHOSE to take $4,500 rather than whatever the trade value was of their vehicles. Logic dictates then that most of these vehicles were worth less than $4,500 for one reason or another. My father actually took advantage of C4C. He traded a '91 Mercedes S-Class. The car was worth $2500 on Craigslist or $1500 as a trade-in. Now that car is in a yard providing parts for other Mercedes owners and he is running biofuel through his Diesel Jetta.

I know a lot of people hate this program, and there are definitely a few reasons for disliking it. It just irks me when people are angry for the wrong reasons.

chet

island Explorer
yes but what kind of a deal on the new car did he get? If he went in on a regular time with a $1500 trade in he probably could have got $3000 knocked off the price anyways.

The cfc deal was to push lazy people that didn't want to deal with selling a car privately into the lots.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
yes but what kind of a deal on the new car did he get? If he went in on a regular time with a $1500 trade in he probably could have got $3000 knocked off the price anyways.

The cfc deal was to push lazy people that didn't want to deal with selling a car privately into the lots.

Actually, in Cali it has been pretty much impossible to get anything below invoice on a TDI for some time. Good buyers always negotiate the car first, and then talk about how they are going to pay.

mdnky

-- -.. -. -.- -.--

As much as I didn't like the program, you're not seeing the whole picture. It had nothing to do with "lazy people" as you infer, but more to do with economic sense. Chances are the person buying the car still got a deal, but instead of having to haggle with the dealer on the trade, he got $4500 (or $3500) plus the scrap value. The C4C rebate was in addition to whatever you worked out with the dealer.

I helped a friend's friend trade an old Ford Explorer in mid-way through the program on a new Toy Taco x-cab 4cy 4wd. The MSRP was around $25.5K, he talked the dealer down to $23 (before any rebates or incentives), plus he got the $1500 toyota incentive and the C4C rebate. So he paid a bit less than 18k on his new truck. Not bad, especially considering 3-4 year old Tacos like his with 80K-100K are still easily pulling $16K to $18K at retail and Toyota dealers don't haggle much on their Tacomas, especially the 4WD ones.

Getting that piece of junk to the dealer was an interesting experience, but we made it under it's own power (thanks to an old garden hose, a big water tank strapped to the roof, and a lot of luck). The value of the Explorer would have been scrap only, say $500 or so, had he not been able to take advantage of the program. The head gasket was blown and the water pump was leaking like a sieve. There were quite a few other issues as well.

Did some nice vehicles meet an untimely death? I'm sure some did. But a lot of vehicles which should have been off the roads long ago were removed too.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
The C4C rebate was in addition to whatever you worked out with the dealer.

Oh really? That would make a lot more sense then.

I hate dealing with the trade in. The price they give you is so pathetic. The last new car I bought, I just decided to sell the old car myself. It's still sitting on my driveway almost a year later. :(

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Oh really? That would make a lot more sense then.

I hate dealing with the trade in. The price they give you is so pathetic. The last new car I bought, I just decided to sell the old car myself. It's still sitting on my driveway almost a year later. :(

To clarify - the dealer was not allowed to offer anything more than scrap value for the vehicle itself (usually $400-$500) but you could still negotiate on the new car and take advantage of any manufacturer rebates like normal.

Also - the cars do not get crushed, but the engines do get disabled by running salt water through them until they freeze up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12