Casper & Outono - 2x 1998 Discovery 1 Builds

LRNAD90

Adventurer
In an effort to get some better visibility around the truck, I picked up a Wolfbox 10" rear view mirror last week. This thing is great: for $130 you get front and rear recording cameras and the install couldn't be easier. Don't want the cameras? Just turn it off and the thing acts as a normal mirror.

So why the 10" and not the 12"? Personally, the 12" just feels too big. I wanted to keep the mirror to as close to OEM dimensions as possible. While it clips on for now, i'll eventually remove the original mirror and mount the Wolfbox with some RAM accessories.

View attachment 819358

So you like the Wolfbox 10" mirror (G930 I assume)? I've been thinking of getting one for my Defender, mainly for the dashcam aspect, but the video rear view could be nice when the truck is loaded up.

I just wish it had the higher resolution rear camera (2.5K vs 1080p) of the 12" (G900) version. But even the 10" is going to be tight in the Defender, 12" is a no go unless I don't want to use my sunvisors anymore.

Outono

So you like the Wolfbox 10" mirror (G930 I assume)? I've been thinking of getting one for my Defender, mainly for the dashcam aspect, but the video rear view could be nice when the truck is loaded up.

I just wish it had the higher resolution rear camera (2.5K vs 1080p) of the 12" (G900) version. But even the 10" is going to be tight in the Defender, 12" is a no go unless I don't want to use my sunvisors anymore.
Ya it's nice and im glad I got it. Honestly, 1080p for the rear is all you need. I work in the IP video industry and I am impressed by the quality you get despite the whole thing being so cheap.

I bought a parts truck and it came with a 12" version of the Wolfbox. To me, it's just too much in the Disco, which means it'll probably be a lot in the Defender too.

The only thing I don't like about the mirror is that it's a bit dim and not as sharp as a normal rear view mirror when the screen is off. Other than that, and it's honestly a small annoyance, it's a great add-on.

LRNAD90

Adventurer
While it clips on for now, i'll eventually remove the original mirror and mount the Wolfbox with some RAM accessories.

Wolfbox has a permanent mount available, not sure if you were aware..

Also, are you using the direct wire harness, or the cigarette lighter plug?

LRNAD90

Adventurer
View attachment 819357

I tucked the rear camera through a small opening underneath the rear door handle. Nice and clean.

Also not sure if you have seen the upgrade 'WDR' rear camera. Most reviews seem to indicate it is a huge step up in clarity, particularly at night, though no increase in resolution. However you do apparently need to replace the 'data' cable all the way back to the mirror..

Outono

Wolfbox has a permanent mount available, not sure if you were aware..

Also, are you using the direct wire harness, or the cigarette lighter plug?

Oh I didnt see that permanent mount. I'll have to check that out.

Im using the cig lighter plug since it was faster and I dont need the Overnight Mode.
Also not sure if you have seen the upgrade 'WDR' rear camera. Most reviews seem to indicate it is a huge step up in clarity, particularly at night, though no increase in resolution. However you do apparently need to replace the 'data' cable all the way back to the mirror..

Hmmm I didn't see this either, but to me its irrelevant. I think the camera I got in the box is more than adequate for how I plan to use it. Can't imagine needing anything better!

Outono

It's my favorite bit of kit on the truck. It's an OEM Hot Climate Grille AKA "Saudi Grille". It took me ages to locate since they're basically unobtanium.

disco_kai

Oh I didnt see that permanent mount. I'll have to check that out.

Im using the cig lighter plug since it was faster and I dont need the Overnight Mode.

Hmmm I didn't see this either, but to me its irrelevant. I think the camera I got in the box is more than adequate for how I plan to use it. Can't imagine needing anything better!
You can get some custom mounts off the bay too. I ordered one for my LX470 which should be next week. The mount from Wolfbox I think only has 4 versions and may not work with a Disco.

Outono

You can get some custom mounts off the bay too. I ordered one for my LX470 which should be next week. The mount from Wolfbox I think only has 4 versions and may not work with a Disco.
Hell yeah! Now to just figure out which one works for the D1...

Outono

I finally got the sound dampening up on the ceiling! That means I can move the headliner from Ol Blue (the parts truck) over this weekend or next. Been a long time coming, but it'll be worth the extra noise reduction.

In other news, I am about to jump into another extraordinarily poor financial decision. I've got my first kid on the way and that means I need a vehicle that is much safer and more comfortable than the Disco. I also have a Miata and Toyota HDJ81, which is a beast, but it's pretty impractical and also built out as a rig, not a family vehicle. While most would say I should dump the Disco and keep the Cruiser, my heart is with the Rover. I don't know if its because I have had such a bad experience with the Cruiser, but the Rover just hits all the right spots: tons of character, easy to work on, unique, and very capable off road. Plus, the Cruiser will bring in a lot more cash than the Rover ever would...

So what to do?

I spent a lot of time considering my options. There's the new Landcruiser and Lexus-Cruiser coming out shortly. There's also the Bronco, used G-Wagens, LC200s, and my personal favorite, the LR4. All would be great vehicles, but I think I would really only enjoy the LR4, which provides the right mix of comfort, safety, modern convenience, and looks. The Lexus-Cruiser is great too, but at a built price of low $80s, i'd be better served buying something better. I have been leaning a little toward the LC200, but it's a bit long in the tooth now and i've always been iffy with the look.

Which leads me to what I am about to do today...

2024-03-05 07_51_30-Grenadier Configurator _ Vehicle Configurator _ INEOS Grenadier US — Mozil...png

The Ineos Grenadier checks all the boxes: incredibly performant, amazing style, safe, luxurious, and modern. I mean, it's hard to say there is a better off-road vehicle that can also be used as a family rig.

2024-03-05 07_51_48-Grenadier Configurator _ Vehicle Configurator _ INEOS Grenadier US — Mozil...png

I've been to the dealer 3 times now and every time I've changed my mind on the color. At first, the Slate Blue caught my eye, then the Eldoret (light) Blue w/ White Top. And finally, yesterday, after seeing the Sterling Silver, it was a hands down favorite.

2024-03-05 07_52_03-Grenadier Configurator _ Vehicle Configurator _ INEOS Grenadier US — Mozil...png

Silver is so boring normally, but this paint has a beautiful blue hue to it when the sun hits it. It's really striking and apparently one of the least picked colors.

IMG_6058.JPEG

Almost looks blue in the sun.

IMG_6064.JPEG

Normally, I try to avoid metallic paints due to the challenges with repair and upkeep. In this case, im willing to take the risk.

IMG_6069.JPEG

Since I am customizing this from scratch, the wait time is about 8 months. That means plenty of time to really push the Rover and get my Mazda + Toyota sold.

The build is fully kitted out: front and rear lockers, factory winch (ya ya, lots of debate on this one), safari windows, dual battery system, cloth seats (better with kids), and so on. The price is crazy and I can't believe im actually going to dump this kind of money into a new vehicle, but if you guys only knew what I have sunk into the Cruiser and Rover, this wouldn't be seen as such a bad decision.

With that said, the plan is to keep the Ineos factory for a few years before the build actually begins. The Rover will be my main camping rig and will undoubtedly keep me busy with repairs for many more years.

Now if I just had a garage to keep these trucks in...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior