cb antenna as 2mm antenna?

PhulesAU

Explorer
If you were licensed to use 2MTR you would be able to answer this question.
the wave length you need, is determined by the frequency you want to transmit on. therefore do the math.

just had this lying around and was looking to use it some where. was thinking of buying a yaesu 7800 andn thought i cold use this antenna for this radio. sounds like i will need antenna to go with the radio. any good suggestions on a dual band antenna?

thanks
jake

AndrewP

Explorer
Jake-Do you have a call sign?

No offense but basic radio questions like this are covered even in the Tech test material.

Lots of good Dual band antennas out there, but I would decide on how you want to mount it first, then decide on which antenna fits your needs best. If you'll be offroading with it, remember it needs to be flexible and able to take a blow from a tree limb without damage.

If you are just starting, a single band radio has some advantages and the antenna thing is a lot easier to understand and get right. Most of the action in mobile Ham radio is on 2M, so a single band radio will suffice. It's also much cheaper, easier to set up and easier to program. Once you decide that you need dual band capability, the 7800 lacks some features you will find useful, and you will understand why a Yaesu 8800 is a better buy, even though it's more expensive.

Where CB is a free-for-all, Ham is not, and most operators take it fairly seriously. Don't try and cobble together junk, and call it good. Good luck.

gary in ohio

Explorer
hillbillyjake said:
just had this lying around and was looking to use it some where. was thinking of buying a yaesu 7800 andn thought i cold use this antenna for this radio. sounds like i will need antenna to go with the radio. any good suggestions on a dual band antenna?

thanks
jake

If your going to the expense of buying a 7800 spend the extra money and get the correct antenna. There are ways to make it worth but its not worth the time or effort in most cases for most people.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Why bother!

You can get one of these 2 meter antennas for just $18.95......plus shipping.

Just do this until you figure it out and save up for a better one.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/2141.html

And who knows!>? It might just work fine!

2352.jpg

That might actually look OK.....up top ........next to the Wilson 1000.....on the SWR..........!

Now..........How Far apart do they need to be>?!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan