CB antenna location

skip44

Observer
I see many pics of antennas mounted on the front bumper, what is the advantage? I have a Wrangler TJ with a Cobra 75 WX and a 4' Firestick mounted on the tire carrier, and even though the SWR is under 1.5, I never seem to get good reception, and need a lot of squelch. (Jeep has a hard top and Wilderness rack) Should I move the antenna or ?

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I've always had good luck on my softtop YJ with the antenna mounted on the rear passenger side tire stop. Also on friends' jeeps mounted on the center rear of tire carrier.

We only use the 4ft steel whip-type antennas in our area. The fiberglass antennas always stop working properly after a couple of trailrides as the brush/trees just beat them to death.

I know this doesn't specifically answer your question, but it does address some of the issues. I'm curious as well to the advantage of a front bumper mounted antenna if there is one.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I see many pics of antennas mounted on the front bumper, what is the advantage? I have a Wrangler TJ with a Cobra 75 WX and a 4' Firestick mounted on the tire carrier, and even though the SWR is under 1.5, I never seem to get good reception, and need a lot of squelch. (Jeep has a hard top and Wilderness rack) Should I move the antenna or ?

That's where I had mine. The location Kept it away from any obstructions, never had any clearance issues

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy

I have two on the bumper and they work great. Your question of the best place to mount the antenna. In the middle of the roof or trunk,your case on the spare tire mount or baja rack. Your reception will depend on the mounting area and where mounted. Mounted on one side or the other of the vehicle can determine where your strongest signal is comming from. That also includes transmission, Mount it on the highest part of the vehicle. Remember you need some type of ground plane ie trunk,roof ect for the best reception. Sounds like you need more of a ground plane or more metal under the fire stick. Try the rack on top of the jeep,at least you have more metal to help act as a ground plane. And buy a good antenna, buy a cheap one and never be heard from again.http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t270/RichardDCollier/DSC01046.jpg I have two on the bumper and 1 on the rear door window and a roof mounted antenna and all work well for me.

Last edited:

gary in ohio

Explorer

On the jeeps you dont have many options, Toss them on the tire rack, use a rear light mount or put them on the bumper. If your on the fender your going to beat the mount with rocks and mud. You DONT want to use a fender mount for your antenna if its fiberglass. You need some metal under the antenna for it to work in most cases. Regarding your reception issue, keep in mind that reception quality is based on how good the transmitted signal is as much as is it the receiver. Your 75wx is not a high end CB. If your talking 3-5 miles consider that good.

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
Have you considerd a 102" steel whip ?... Optinum lenght for C.B. freq. Takes a Beating and never changes SWR. This is what I run with a cobra 75wx and get 1.2 to 1 SWR match. Driverside on front bumper with AM/FM Scanner ant. on pass. side; :safari-rig:
225.jpg

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
cb antenna mount

I would second the use of the 102 ss whip.Great antenna,make sure you get the ss spring. You can always remove it and roast about 20 dogs at a time.

gary in ohio

Explorer
Have you considerd a 102" steel whip ?... Optinum lenght for C.B. freq. [/IMG]

The optimum legnth is 108", thats 102 whip with a 6 inch spring. The big whip is the best but I know a number of 4x4 clubs that will not allow them to be used due to the "whipping eye damage" they can cause when your vehicle is bouncing around.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:I have mine mounted on my third brake light

Wouldn't want to have it on my front bumper

Always had one on top, but these JKs with the fiberglass, make that DIFFICULT

:costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

KG6BWS

Explorer
i have mine on the front bumper because of overhead clearance issues, dont want it getting beat to death, and so that i can put my canoe or kayak on top without having to deal with the antennae being in the way. youd be allright mounting it on a fiberglass fender, BUT, you would have to run a ground wire to the frame. i just wouldnt do it because that would be a lot of concentrated load for fiberglass to try and handle.

Photog

Explorer
Copied from Articlebase.com
No-Ground Plane (NGP) Antennas

When installing a CB antenna on an RV, boat or any vehicle with no metal chassis, a no-ground plane antenna kit is required. A traditional CB antenna utilizes the metal chassis of a vehicle when transmitting the radio’s signal. Without a good ground plane, the antenna will provide extremely poor performance.

No-ground plane (NGP) antennas have the required ground counterpoise built in to the coax cable and allow for operation without an external ground. Traditional ground plane antennas tend to have a 15% to 20% stronger field strength than similar NGP antennas. Subsequently, it’s always preferable to use a traditional ground-based antenna if a good ground plane is available. NGP antennas come in kits that include a specially modified NGP coax and antenna and subsequently aren't interchangeable with standard ground-based equipment.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

If you mount it on a pipe or a rack. You WILL get poor performance.

Then you will hate CB Radios and claim they are junk.

luk4mud

Explorer
I seem to never get it right with my cb. Been thru 2 units and antennae, multiple locations and ground methoods, same lousy transmission and marginal reception. Would one of these NGP antenna help me any you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan