CB Mounting Ideas...Post Up Your Solutions!!

Ultraviolet

Observer
you crazy kids with your "clean" trucks. get um dirty! if your crazy long legs johnson this probably wont work for you, how ever for me as i dont have crazy long legs, nor named johnson, i enjoy this setup. i have 2 #6's going to a small fuse block behind the cover and got rid of some of the foam on the door to put flat bar steel to machine screw the devices to the door. to access the fuses the devices just swing down with the door.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 17
2012-08-28_10-36-47_857.jpg2012-08-28_10-33-54_935.jpg

placed mine on the passenger side, since my wife or buddy usually is the one whom is talking. not professional, but for my light duty needs it works fine. ran a through the glass antenna and am able to get reception for 7-10 miles in urban environment, 15 miles with open wilderness. and 5 miles in the mountains or less.

Hugh166

Observer
The level-o-guage only cares about side to side, for and aft doesn't matter at all. Same as when you're doing house work and you hold the level upside down on the ceiling or flat on the floor

cosmic88

Observationalist
High and Dry

...sounds like my ex... :sombrero:

Here is my simple setup. Keeps the antanae coax run nice and short, with the radio pretty much completely out of the way while the internal speaker is also in my face / ear. That's a homemade bracket from flat 1/8 alum sheet. cut and folded to use the existing map pocket mounting holes. I just used longer screws. It has since been painted to match the beige trim.

DSC04016.jpg

DSC04017.jpg

I don't have sunroofs so I just used that blank / switchplate (removed it) for the power supply and coax pass-through.

p.s. note obligatory lev-o-gauge.... my kids want it there so they can "warn me" not to lean over too far. keeps them amused and I don't give a flying anything what anyone sez about it.

Last edited:

cosmic88

Observationalist
Since there was zero cutting, mangling or destruction involved in my particular mount setup I'll just assume you are talking about the other "mods" posted up here. :) and I totally agree with you. I'm not a proponent of drilling holes or cutting interior trim or panels for many reasons.

I used the existing screw holes for the overhead map pockets

Ray_G

Explorer
Interesting comments, as other than Shayne's setup using the interior roll cages the only other overhead console stuff was mine-and mine didn't involve much cutting/drilling since it was just the detached faceplate on the Yaseu going in the place of the dome light on the Disco. Two small bolts below that hold the small metal bracket that holds the face plate (all of which is light and likely no more strain than the dome light was.)

Admittedly I did take a rear Disco dome light and put it into the console but that's not pictured and looks as though it should be there.

I'm not happy with the diamond antenna switch in place of the sunroof but got tired of messing around with the dremel and reached the 'good enough' state with it's placement.

Personally I'd rather have some subtle modification to the overhead console and have the rest of the radio tucked away so it is less obtrusive and less interesting to people who look inside the truck (typically looking down into the seats/center console area/etc vice up). To each their own I suppose.
r-
Ray

mowerman

Adventurer
My CB is slung from the roof console, with the VHF slung under it.
The CB mounts to a bracket bolted through the roof console, but otherwise no roof consoles were haqrmed in the making of this arrangement :)

IMG_0143.jpg

ipgregory

Adventurer
Not a DI, DII or RRC but here's what I did for my 90.

Used an off the shelf generic Tuffy Overhead console for the CB. Fabbed a bracket at the front to use the stock holes along the top of the windshield frame and 'massaged' the rear to fit a LR roll cage a little better. Made no holes or cuts in the truck and have a secure place to hold the GPS', Radio and truck papers when I have to park it somewhere. Works the same with both my soft and hard tops with no issue.

For the HF radio I made an adaptor mount to use the stock radio mount in the console. Again, no new holes and it allows the stock cover to hide the radio when not in use. Mic just unplugs and lives in the console when not in use. I don't run a stereo so that mount was unused. Heve painted the surround black since that pic and it now looks like its supposed to be there.

CB is a cheap throw away Cobra unit that I liked because it was small, had weather band and the speaker is at the front. This means the sound is directed almost directly at me at ear level so it's easier to hear. I have since also added one of those trucker type spring loaded Mic mounts in place of the fixed mount. I can grab the mic, pull it towards me a few inches, talk and let go all without having to take my eyes off the road or trail. Its mounted to the passenger side out of the way so it doesn't get in the way of the rear view and also allows for passengers to use the radio easily.

Attachments

• HF 1.jpg
    HF 1.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 13
  • HF 2.jpg
    HF 2.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Tuffy 1.jpg
    Tuffy 1.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Tuffy 2.jpg
    Tuffy 2.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 14

Snagger

Explorer
If you want a neat fit without damaging the car's interior, can't you just buy a hand-held radio? It has the other advantages of not requiring hours of work to install and being useful away from the vehicle...

ipgregory

Adventurer

What is wrong with a thread soliciting ideas on mounting radios? You don’t have to like or agree with all the options presented but this is a common question for many and being able to see how others have addressed it is very helpful in my opinion.

If you don’t like some of the individual solutions offered then by all means debate those with the individual posters (in another thread). But that’s no reason to knock an otherwise useful thread is it?

If you think some of the solutions don’t meet your supreme standards then by all means post up and show us how you think it should be done?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears