CB Questions

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
I've decided to go ahead and purchase the Uniden 520xl to mount in the ashtray of my 03 Tacoma. First off, I've done some searching but would like to know the cheapest place to purchase this radio. Second, from what I've read, the antenna and coax cable are the most important part of the setup. Which antenna do I get? I've seen the Wilson's used alot. Which one? and third, which coax? does anyone have a distributor in mind that could sell me all of this?

Thanks

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for the quick response. I recognize you (your sreenname) from alot of the posts I read. You really seem to know alot about CB's. Is there a specific antenna you recommend? I was planning on mounting it on my ARB bumper. Is that a good location? On the light tab, as high as I could get it? I cant mount it on my roof because of parking garages. Also, what coax?

Luke

Observer
This is copied and pasted from another of my posts. Just a few minutes ago I was talking to a couple guys >200 miles away with crystal clear quality.

FWIW I have a Uniden installed in my truck and pretty much never use it. Unless you have a specific use for it or all your trail buddies use CB, I wouldn't even spend the money on one. I recently bought a Yaesu 7800 dual band radio and am completely sold on it. My CB radio pretty much never gets turned on anymore. With the CB I can get relatively clear contacts at 0-10 miles on flat ground, now with the Yaesu 7800 I can get crystal clear contacts at 30-50 miles and that range is extended even further (100-300 miles) with the use of repeaters, and if they are Echolink capable I can contact almost any other state, or country. Not to mention I can moniter all the local police/fire/aviation/ambulance/and even the International Space Station (ISS) frequencies. With the money I spent on the CB/antenna/mount etc. (~$125) I would have been much better off saving another $125 and buying the Yaesu 7800 for $250 straight out of the gate. Sure you have to take a test but that is pretty much a non issue. You can study for a couple of hours (if even that much), pay $14 and have your call sign within a day or two. Just getting around and driving to the place is harder than the actual test is. Thats my $0.02 anyway

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
I completely agree. I am a paramedic and an ex-deputy sheriff and have used quality VHF, UHF, and 800 mhz radios for years. I am completely sold on them. Unfortunately, most people I wheel with use CB so thats what I have to get. Eventually, I will have both. Thanks!

Anyone have any info on what type of antenna and coax I should get?

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I have the Wilson 1000 Magnetic mount CB Antenna.

It comes with the magnetic mount.....and the 62" tall whip.....the co~ax cable is included and connected at the mag mount.

I have talked 60+ miles with this set up, with the swr tuned perfect on a calm cool night!

You can also order the smaller center load whip.....for the days you are heading through the trees.

The antenna unscrews from the mag mount! Very handy.....even for pulling into your garage!

2007_0512JacumbaMtnsBorderFen0064.jpg

The SWR.......testing his ....swr.....on the In~Ko~Pah mountains....east county San Diego! I can't wait to report when I have hit Yuma Arizona 104 miles away!

I'm gonna shout it out....don'tcha know!

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I have the "Little Wil" magnetic mount antenna, and had been a committed user of the K-40 antennas for years before going the Wilson route. I think the Little Will works fine for a CB, esp. since the range on a CB is quite limited. I too am working on a dual radio setup and will taking the test for my ham license. Ham is the only way to go IMHO, but so many people out there have CB radios it only make sense to me to have one of them too. It can be handy when stuck in a back up getting info from truckers about which lanes to avoid, or just doing general car to car short distance stuff. But, otherwise, ham is IT!

soonenough

Explorer
I've had decent results with a 4' Firestik Firefly and a basic dome mount mounted to the lid of my toolbox. It's not the best location because 1) toolbox lid installations just aren't ideal (read here), and 2) the antenna is only about 18" from a vertical surface (the back of the cab). I was willing to live with these compromises because I don't want to drill holes in my roof, and also because I plan on getting my ham license and a dual-band radio, so my CB is for limited use as others have described. Having said that, I've got mine tuned to about ~1.5 on channels 1 and 40 and about ~1.1 on channel 19, so overall decent results. The reports I've gotten from truckers on the highway are that they can hear me clearly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior