CB Radios - Does size really matter?

aslostasyou

Adventurer
Just wanted to say thank you everyone.. There has been a good deal of information shared on this thread.

I think I'm going with the hand held/perm route for a CB and will go with a HAM. I hope to have my license in Feb.

I'll post up when the final installaton is complete with my results.

One last question though - I've got a roof rack on the LR3 with flooring. Everyone is referring to a metal roof action as the best radiator. If I drill a hole in my flooring and mount the antenna center will I still get the same affect as if it were a metal roof with a magnet mount? Or, would I just be better off hanging a tab of the back of the roof rack? And, if that was the case based on "radiator theory" if it's on the back of the rack I should at least mount it centered right?

- JPM

Photog

Explorer
aslostasyou,
Is the flooring in your rack metal? If you mount the antenna in the middle of the rack, will it interfear with loading gear up there?

If it is metal, it will work better there than on the rear of the rack. When you load gear up on the rack, it will degrade the tramsmit (Tx) of the radio.

Rails around the rack will degrade the signal a bit also; but not as bad as hanging the antenna off the rear of the rack.

With CB & HAM, you will have two antennas to mount. What plans do you have for that? Both up top, or something else. Ground Plane and Radiator apply to HAM antennas also. Although, with the longer reach of HAM, many folks live with a degraded signal, as a compromise for a convenient antenna mount.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Something to think on; I bought a little conversion deal for 2M remote "base station" use. It gives a ground plane to a mobile application antenna mounted on a mast. The 'ground plane' is comprised of 4 radially arranged wires ~19" long (1/4 wave). In skimming related antenna theory that is the minimum length and there isn't much to be gained with longer wires.

To do that same thing for a CB antenna you'd need to make each of those four wires 108" long. From that perspective where you mount a typical ground plane required CB antenna on a vehicle makes not a lot of difference, performance overall is going to suffer. Some directions are really going to suffer.

aslostasyou

Adventurer
aslostasyou,
Is the flooring in your rack metal? If you mount the antenna in the middle of the rack, will it interfear with loading gear up there?

If it is metal, it will work better there than on the rear of the rack. When you load gear up on the rack, it will degrade the tramsmit (Tx) of the radio.

Rails around the rack will degrade the signal a bit also; but not as bad as hanging the antenna off the rear of the rack.

With CB & HAM, you will have two antennas to mount. What plans do you have for that? Both up top, or something else. Ground Plane and Radiator apply to HAM antennas also. Although, with the longer reach of HAM, many folks live with a degraded signal, as a compromise for a convenient antenna mount.

The rack is metal but it will have kingslite plastic flooring. I was toying with the idea of center mounting it but your correct, it would interfere with gear in some cases.

Are you saying my best would be to go off one of the side rails vs. the rear rail? I could go with the front bumper as a location for both antennas. I can weld a tab on just about anywhere I suppose...

Photog

Explorer
The rack is metal but it will have kingslite plastic flooring. I was toying with the idea of center mounting it but your correct, it would interfere with gear in some cases.

Are you saying my best would be to go off one of the side rails vs. the rear rail? I could go with the front bumper as a location for both antennas. I can weld a tab on just about anywhere I suppose...

If you can not mounr the antenna in the middle of a large metal surface, then your next-best choice is to keep it as high as possible. Up on the rack is better than down on the bumpers. The front of the rack would be better than the sides or rear of the rack, for an antenna mount.

What does your rack look like? Any pics?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I've been using a diamond mag/suction mount for mine, though I have never talked to anyone as I"m not licensed. Though for the unlicensed chatter it work well.

Aaron

Photog

Explorer

That rack does not leave you many choices for body mounts. What does it look like, on your Liberty?

It looks like you will need a rack mounted antenna. They take a lot of abuse up top; so I would stay away from the fiberglass antennas, and get a stainless whip type.

Go to a good CB shop, and work out the details of antenna type and mount, for your rack. Get the SWR dialed in to 1:2 or lower, and be done.

On a side note: I just had my Magnum Mini checked at a good CB shop; it puts out 15 watts peak and 5 watts dead-key. It seems to be properly powered, when set up for CB instead of 10m. It certainly does not have enough power to blast the neighborhood with stray radio emissions.

Photog

Explorer
Your first post was looking for info for a diesel Liberty. I probably missed something along the way.

For the LR3, there may be room on the roof, just behind the sunroof, unless you are going to cover that area too, with the floor for the rack.

The signal will be degraded a little, by the rack; but not as bad as mounting an antenna to the rack tubing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior