CB500X vs V-Strom 650XT vs KLR650 vs Tenere 700

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Toying with the idea of a bike.

This would be my first bike. I have no experience on 2 wheels short of bicycling. So, 1st order of business is a taking a beginners course.

FIL is a life long rider as well.

Uses would be to commute 60 miles of highways / freeway to work (weather permitting) then of course exploring which may include off highway.

Nothing too crazy offroad at this point. Simple trails etc...

These are the bikes I'm interested in. Thoughts? Preferences?

I was initially thinking of something around 250 cc, but thought that might not be great for the freeway / highway portions.

Open to new / used. Liking the BMW GS series but it seems their substantially more expensive. I've read KTM's are fun but require more maintanace than the ones I've mentioned. Those with experience, what would you suggest based on my criteria?

cb500x_13331_pogpearl_organic_green_front.jpg

Screenshot 2023-02-15 092500.png

Screenshot 2023-02-15 092551.png

Screenshot 2023-02-15 092709.png

Ole Chipper

Vstrom great for road miles. KLR for dirt, not the best on highway, but there are better beginner dirt bikes. Maybe a CRF300 for dirt. Haven't ridden the other 2 so I can't say.

Have 4 bikes currently. It's really hard to find a one bike that does it all. Different bike for days plans.

I'd suggest getting your feet wet with a cheaper bike or 2. Til you get some experience and know more what your needs are.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Of those bikes I'd choose the T7 hands down. I've owned and ridden versions of all the ones on your list.

Not sure what you mean by "trails" - Single track? Two track? Fire roads?

Obviously all these bikes are heavy and not well suited for trail riding but of course with the right rider and according to internet videos it's totally doable ;-) - All the bikes listed are some of the most reliable bikes you can buy.

CB500X - Fine on dirt roads, but challenging on trails without major mods to wheels, and suspension and even then it's going to be challenging. Lacks ground clearance for the rougher roads. Fine on the major highways but lacks passing power so it's not that great. I've ridden one on some graded fire roads, rough fire roads and two track. I was considering one and after a few minutes I changed my mind.

V-Strom 650 (I owned the earlier gen for a while) - Fine on graded dirt roads, but gets challenging on rough roads and lacks ground clearance. Great on major freeways, backroads, and goaty roads, but the lack of clearance, weight and ergonomics for me changed my mind and sold it after a year or so.

KLR - Lacks power, but if you can live with that then it's fine. Easier than the previous two models in all sorts of off pavement riding, but not great for single track, and really not that great on rough dirt roads. I did take mine to Baja and had a blast even in the sand. Truly the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles. It does everything, but doesn't do it well. I put over 30k miles on my 1st gen KLR and frankly didn't know what I was missing until I got my KTM 990. I could live with the lack of power right up until I had a bike with more power. I can't go back. Dreadful passing ability without planning ahead, like putting it on your calendar weeks ahead ;-) - Would not want to commute 60 miles on the highway on one, but I used to commute about ten miles highway each way on mine for a long time.

T7 - Great all around bike that can handle everything. I wanted one so bad, but it took so long to be released that I ended up with my 1090 (which I love). I've put a few road and fire road miles on them and they feel great! The T7 has plenty of power, but not so much that it scares you like my 1090 can. I'd love to own one. The T7 doesn't have all the fancy electronics and is a true analog traditional bike.

All of these bikes are tall, and that can be a major detractor for some people especially new riders. I'm short and don't even trip on tall bikes. I can only get one toe down at a time on my 1090, but once you're used to it it's no big deal. These are also heavy bikes that don't lend themselves to trail riding. Fire roads are what they do best on.

If you can I would also get a smaller dirt bike to learn how to ride in the dirt. They can offer a great foundation for when you take the bigger bike off the pavement. I have a small dual sport and a big ADV bike and I still want a medium ADV bike so this can be an addiction if you know what I'm saying.

KTM's do have a bad reputation, but my 1090 has been very reliable in the 19k miles I've put on it since new, and I have a lot of friends on KTM's and Husky's that don't have issues. That's not to say that a lot of KTM's don't have issues. The bad reputation was well earned.

Good luck on the bike quest. I'm looking forward to see what you end up with.

Ninelitetrip

Not familiar with the rules up there, would you have to take any road course prior to getting the license? Try and rent some different platforms during the course. Is that 60 miles round trip, or one way? Smaller lighter biles like the 500 and the KLR are fine for back road, country road short commutes. I would not want to go on the interstate as a daily commute on a KLR, had one, nope.

Something in the 700 - 800 class is good as a daily and still useful for exploring on the weekend. Have a second set of wheels and tires. Good daily street tire for the commute, and then something for the weekend.

Of course, my preference is just to have more than one bike. :)

Long time full-size GS rider so biased there. You may want one if you have a chance to ride one.

ATGATT

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I guess this is a bit of a plug, but consider the ‘13 Husky Terra or Strada 650 (BMW mill with extra 10 HP head). I’m at the opposite end of the spectrum, 50+ years riding and over 500k miles on two wheels from racing to Iron Butt…
All that to say, I have one of each and likely selling one or the other this spring. Good weight, great power, very versatile which is good criteria to consider being newbie.
Good luck, great experiences await, just watch the cages on phones!!

transalper

Explorer
I am a big fan of starting with a small dual sport and practice for a season before jumping into a larger bike for commuting. Something in the 250-400cc range.

For the bikes you listed, sit on each of them to see how they feel. Test ride if you can. I've owned all except the 500. All would be good bikes. If you really want to do offroad, i would go for klr650 or xtz700. FWIW, I have a Tenere now and love it.

Don't overanalyze. Just get one and ride. Sell it and try another next season. Repeat as needed. :)

plumber mike

Adventurer
Versys 300 would also be a good one to put on that list. It’s definitely easier to manage than something as portly as a KLR. Excellent all around er that’ll do highway just fine. If the KLR made the list, you might also add a DR650 to the list.
I’d look at WR250’s, Honda CRF300’s, DRZ400 for more dirt oriented travels. I find them great “light” bikes to toss on the truck so I have an explorer for when I get to new areas. I don’t enjoy big mile highway trips on a motorcycle as much as I used to. I find I use smaller bikes like a dinghy when I park the yacht.

The T7 looks awesome on paper. Id definitely like to swing a leg over one.

Willsfree

60 miles is a very long commute, are you driving the route every day or a couple days a week? I rode 40 miles daily for 12 years and didn't own a car for about 9 years; rode the bike everywhere rain or shine. I'd focus on a midsized 7-800 cc bike for the commute and a smaller dual sport for learning. I like the adventure style sit up and beg position for commuting with your head in a swivel, bags for clothes and a laptop etc. I ride a 1290 KTM which is a bit of a handful for daily commute, but use it for two up camping with my girlfriend; carries camping gear for two and goes 120+mph over a 10,000 foot pass.
Learning how to ride with the goal of commuting is a high risk endeavor. I don't recommend anyone start riding to get to work faster or cheaper etc. Bikes are dangerous and will get you killed in a blink of the eye. I've totalled two bikes riding to work, no major injuries lucky for me. Bikes require tires/chains/brakes consumables at a faster rate than a car. Suiting up in all the gear, all the time takes a few minutes longer than just jumping in the car. I'd recommend just getting a fun dual sport for riding around town and local trails before considering a larger machine for commuting.

Last edited:

Cabrito

I come in Peace
60 miles is a very long commute, are you driving the route every day or a couple days a week? I rode 40 miles daily for 12 years and didn't own a car for about 9 years; rode the bike everywhere rain or shine. I'd focus on a midsized 7-800 cc bike for the commute and a smaller dual sport for learning. I like the adventure style sit up and beg position for commuting with your head in a swivel, bags for clothes and a laptop etc. I ride a 1290 KTM which is a bit of a handful for daily commute, but use it for two up camping with my girlfriend; carries camping gear for two and goes 120+mph over a 10,000 foot pass.
Learning how to ride with the goal of commuting is a high risk endeavor. I don't recommend anyone start riding to get to work faster or cheaper etc. Bikes are dangerous and will get you killed in a blink of the eye. I've totalled two bikes riding to work, no major injuries lucky for me. Bikes require tires/chains/brakes consumables at a faster rate than a car. Suiting up in all the gear, all the time takes a few minutes longer than just jumping in the car. I'd recommend just getting a fun dual sport for riding around town and local trails before considering a larger machine for commuting.

Really good post @Willsfree (y)

and goes 120+mph over a 10,000 foot pass.
- Just because :sneaky:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
For what its worth, there are some good points mentioned above.

Take a class, get good gear. Get comfortable with the bike. Nothing will do anything perfectly as everything is a tradeoff.
Make sure you know how to pick it up when it takes a dirt nap. This WILL happen. Also consider having to do so solo.

I have experience on a 2015 KLR650. (Rode through Patagonia, 3k miles. also the first bike and ride after I got my endorsement) Agree completely with what was said about it above. Noteworthy, a lot of the guides I met in Chile, were on 850 Triumphs. Including the ones leading the large BMW moto groups.

My Brother has a CBX, Also agree.

I worked as a motorcycle mounted medic for Adventure Medics. That fleet included

BMW1200GS ( 2008)
BMW I believe it was an 650ish rally edition ( 2019)
Yamaha 250 old
Triumph 850,I believe it was ( 2009)
KTM1290 Adventure ( 2021)
My personal Vstrom 650.
I rode all of these for races, and events.

Sometimes we would trailer, other times we would ride for an hour to the event. Things like, Hood to coast, cycle Oregon, Giant Loop, stump jumpers, etc. A lot of varying riding daily, across every terrain with heavy kit.

Most running an 80:20 Tire. My preferred tire is the K60. Just sucks to field mount. That’s what I used through South America, and put on my personal Vstrom, and we started putting on the fleet motos. Never had a flat, * Knocks on all the wood in site*

I am 220, and we would have them loaded up with full kit, like a tiny monitor, IV fluids, Airway O2, etc. So pretty heavy.

My preferred for those was the Triumph, followed by the Vstrom.

I was worried after he KLR in SA that the 650 would not have enough power, but she does well. No issue passing, or going faster than I should. I never doubled up on it yet, but the med gear was easy 100ibs.

Honestly, I did not like the BMWs, i know sacrilege on this forum. The 1200 was just huge, It had a hard life and was pretty beat. But was my least favorite by far. Field service, on either of the BMWs sucked. They both rattled a lot, The smaller one was weighted really well with the fuel tank and battery locations switched. But made getting to the battery really sucky. They both had a lot of tech, that was having issues. Or getting access to engine, remove body panels not simple. Dealer sevice for the BMW nightmare, other shops woud not touch it.

The KTM was huge, and beautiful and had all the fancy things. This meant when I needed to toggle ABS off and on, if there was any kind of glitch. It would fail, if the battery died all settings would be forgotten. If it went into limp mode, it could not be cleared in the field.

My advice, go small with the V Strom. Get used to riding. Honestly most of these bikes will go places the rider is not comfortable doing, and the vast majority won’t push them to that limit. Also, no shortage of Suzuki dealers.

In our Moto training, we had to ride down things I could not walk down for example.

Either way, happy ridding!

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Thank you for all the great replies!

It would be when it's nice out. Maybe 2 or 3 days a week. Probably not even this year. I'd want to get used to the bike before. See how it goes I guess. There are also secondary less busy highways I can use for my commute as well if I want to avoid busy freeways.

Vstrom great for road miles. KLR for dirt, not the best on highway, but there are better beginner dirt bikes. Maybe a CRF300 for dirt. Haven't ridden the other 2 so I can't say.

Have 4 bikes currently. It's really hard to find a one bike that does it all. Different bike for days plans.

I'd suggest getting your feet wet with a cheaper bike or 2. Til you get some experience and know more what your needs are.

CRF300 is probably more off road oriented than I'd need at this point. I'd want something a little more suited to pavement but can still be ridden on some light off road stuff. Mainly thinking like fire roads, dirt country roads, jeep trails maybe. Nothing too crazy and probably nothing a Subaru Outback couldn't handle. Start out easy peasy.

Of those bikes I'd choose the T7 hands down. I've owned and ridden versions of all the ones on your list.

Not sure what you mean by "trails" - Single track? Two track? Fire roads?

Obviously all these bikes are heavy and not well suited for trail riding but of course with the right rider and according to internet videos it's totally doable ;-) - All the bikes listed are some of the most reliable bikes you can buy.

CB500X - Fine on dirt roads, but challenging on trails without major mods to wheels, and suspension and even then it's going to be challenging. Lacks ground clearance for the rougher roads. Fine on the major highways but lacks passing power so it's not that great. I've ridden one on some graded fire roads, rough fire roads and two track. I was considering one and after a few minutes I changed my mind.

V-Strom 650 (I owned the earlier gen for a while) - Fine on graded dirt roads, but gets challenging on rough roads and lacks ground clearance. Great on major freeways, backroads, and goaty roads, but the lack of clearance, weight and ergonomics for me changed my mind and sold it after a year or so.

KLR - Lacks power, but if you can live with that then it's fine. Easier than the previous two models in all sorts of off pavement riding, but not great for single track, and really not that great on rough dirt roads. I did take mine to Baja and had a blast even in the sand. Truly the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles. It does everything, but doesn't do it well. I put over 30k miles on my 1st gen KLR and frankly didn't know what I was missing until I got my KTM 990. I could live with the lack of power right up until I had a bike with more power. I can't go back. Dreadful passing ability without planning ahead, like putting it on your calendar weeks ahead ;-) - Would not want to commute 60 miles on the highway on one, but I used to commute about ten miles highway each way on mine for a long time.

T7 - Great all around bike that can handle everything. I wanted one so bad, but it took so long to be released that I ended up with my 1090 (which I love). I've put a few road and fire road miles on them and they feel great! The T7 has plenty of power, but not so much that it scares you like my 1090 can. I'd love to own one. The T7 doesn't have all the fancy electronics and is a true analog traditional bike.

All of these bikes are tall, and that can be a major detractor for some people especially new riders. I'm short and don't even trip on tall bikes. I can only get one toe down at a time on my 1090, but once you're used to it it's no big deal. These are also heavy bikes that don't lend themselves to trail riding. Fire roads are what they do best on.

If you can I would also get a smaller dirt bike to learn how to ride in the dirt. They can offer a great foundation for when you take the bigger bike off the pavement. I have a small dual sport and a big ADV bike and I still want a medium ADV bike so this can be an addiction if you know what I'm saying.

KTM's do have a bad reputation, but my 1090 has been very reliable in the 19k miles I've put on it since new, and I have a lot of friends on KTM's and Husky's that don't have issues. That's not to say that a lot of KTM's don't have issues. The bad reputation was well earned.

Good luck on the bike quest. I'm looking forward to see what you end up with.

Thank you for the great informative post!
Mainly thinking like fire roads, dirt country roads, jeep trails maybe. Nothing too crazy and probably nothing a Subaru Outback couldn't handle. Start out easy peasy

Based on your experiences, I think I'm between the V-Strom and KLR. T7 looks good too based on a lot of positive reviews I've read.

Unfortunately, there seems to be no used or new T7's for sale around here? Supply chain issues or something?

I'm 6'2" so think I'd be okay on the bikes I've mentioned. But, will still sit on all them to verify.

I'm thinking I'm lucky that my wife is okay with me spending money to get a bike. I don't think I'll push my luck trying to get an ADV bike AND a dedicated dirt bike, haha

Not familiar with the rules up there, would you have to take any road course prior to getting the license? Try and rent some different platforms during the course. Is that 60 miles round trip, or one way? Smaller lighter biles like the 500 and the KLR are fine for back road, country road short commutes. I would not want to go on the interstate as a daily commute on a KLR, had one, nope.

Something in the 700 - 800 class is good as a daily and still useful for exploring on the weekend. Have a second set of wheels and tires. Good daily street tire for the commute, and then something for the weekend.

Of course, my preference is just to have more than one bike. :)

Long time full-size GS rider so biased there. You may want one if you have a chance to ride one.

ATGATT

I plan on taking a beginners course as I want to be as prepared as possible. It's class time + 20 hours of on hands training. The two I'm looking at both supply the bike for training plus one will let you use the bike to go for your license test.

I joined on adventure rider as well and the BMW GS650 was suggested to me as well. Thinking a 700-800 will be too much bike for a beginner. That's why I was thinking 650.... Really 300 would be better. But I worry it would struggle to maintain highway speeds?

I am a big fan of starting with a small dual sport and practice for a season before jumping into a larger bike for commuting. Something in the 250-400cc range.

For the bikes you listed, sit on each of them to see how they feel. Test ride if you can. I've owned all except the 500. All would be good bikes. If you really want to do offroad, i would go for klr650 or xtz700. FWIW, I have a Tenere now and love it.

Don't overanalyze. Just get one and ride. Sell it and try another next season. Repeat as needed. :)

Based on supply, it's looking like the Tenere might be out. Sounds like a great bike but, I'm not seeing any.... new or used for sale here?
Maybe that will change by the time I take the course and am ready to buy?

Based on that, I think I'm leaning to KLR or V-strom. Although now I've had a few people suggest a GS650....

Versys 300 would also be a good one to put on that list. It’s definitely easier to manage than something as portly as a KLR. Excellent all around er that’ll do highway just fine. If the KLR made the list, you might also add a DR650 to the list.
I’d look at WR250’s, Honda CRF300’s, DRZ400 for more dirt oriented travels. I find them great “light” bikes to toss on the truck so I have an explorer for when I get to new areas. I don’t enjoy big mile highway trips on a motorcycle as much as I used to. I find I use smaller bikes like a dinghy when I park the yacht.

The T7 looks awesome on paper. Id definitely like to swing a leg over one.
I'd prefer a pavement orient bike that could do some light forest roads vs a dirt oriented bike.

I've had a couple people on ADV rider suggest the Versys 300 as well. I really haven't done a lot of research on them yet. I'll have too. Just read this comparison between the CB500X and the Versys:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
For what its worth, there are some good points mentioned above.

Take a class, get good gear. Get comfortable with the bike. Nothing will do anything perfectly as everything is a tradeoff.
Make sure you know how to pick it up when it takes a dirt nap. This WILL happen. Also consider having to do so solo.

I have experience on a 2015 KLR650. (Rode through Patagonia, 3k miles. also the first bike and ride after I got my endorsement) Agree completely with what was said about it above. Noteworthy, a lot of the guides I met in Chile, were on 850 Triumphs. Including the ones leading the large BMW moto groups.

My Brother has a CBX, Also agree.

I worked as a motorcycle mounted medic for Adventure Medics. That fleet included

BMW1200GS ( 2008)
BMW I believe it was an 650ish rally edition ( 2019)
Yamaha 250 old
Triumph 850,I believe it was ( 2009)
KTM1290 Adventure ( 2021)
My personal Vstrom 650.
I rode all of these for races, and events.

Sometimes we would trailer, other times we would ride for an hour to the event. Things like, Hood to coast, cycle Oregon, Giant Loop, stump jumpers, etc. A lot of varying riding daily, across every terrain with heavy kit.

Most running an 80:20 Tire. My preferred tire is the K60. Just sucks to field mount. That’s what I used through South America, and put on my personal Vstrom, and we started putting on the fleet motos. Never had a flat, * Knocks on all the wood in site*

I am 220, and we would have them loaded up with full kit, like a tiny monitor, IV fluids, Airway O2, etc. So pretty heavy.

My preferred for those was the Triumph, followed by the Vstrom.

I was worried after he KLR in SA that the 650 would not have enough power, but she does well. No issue passing, or going faster than I should. I never doubled up on it yet, but the med gear was easy 100ibs.

Honestly, I did not like the BMWs, i know sacrilege on this forum. The 1200 was just huge, It had a hard life and was pretty beat. But was my least favorite by far. Field service, on either of the BMWs sucked. They both rattled a lot, The smaller one was weighted really well with the fuel tank and battery locations switched. But made getting to the battery really sucky. They both had a lot of tech, that was having issues. Or getting access to engine, remove body panels not simple. Dealer sevice for the BMW nightmare, other shops woud not touch it.

The KTM was huge, and beautiful and had all the fancy things. This meant when I needed to toggle ABS off and on, if there was any kind of glitch. It would fail, if the battery died all settings would be forgotten. If it went into limp mode, it could not be cleared in the field.

My advice, go small with the V Strom. Get used to riding. Honestly most of these bikes will go places the rider is not comfortable doing, and the vast majority won’t push them to that limit. Also, no shortage of Suzuki dealers.

In our Moto training, we had to ride down things I could not walk down for example.

Either way, happy ridding!
Thank you for the well thought out reply!
The bike....whichever one I choose I'm sure will be more than capable of what I feel comfortable doing.
I'm a pretty a chicken ******** conservative fellow.
No plan on a 2nd rider really. My 15 year old daughter may want to go for small jaunts around our neighborhood. (like a 1 kilometer or 2 maybe) She's used to riding pillion as she's ridden many times with my Father in law on his bike.

Ninelitetrip

Taking the course is key, and they can help you out making a decision. Your height at 6"2" will play a big part. Finding something that fits is key. You could have two different 300- 400 class bikes, and one just makes you miserable. Pay attention to what your body is telling you after 30 minutes. Are your hands numb, do your shoulders hurt, are your legs cramped.

As you build your confidence and maybe want to spend some time in California or Colorado might treat yourself to this.

or over in Washington

ADV Rider is a great resource.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Taking the course is key, and they can help you out making a decision. Your height at 6"2" will play a big part. Finding something that fits is key. You could have two different 300- 400 class bikes, and one just makes you miserable. Pay attention to what your body is telling you after 30 minutes. Are your hands numb, do your shoulders hurt, are your legs cramped.

As you build your confidence and maybe want to spend some time in California or Colorado might treat yourself to this.

or over in Washington

ADV Rider is a great resource.
Bummer is both training companies use 250's. (Which is great for training, just saying I wouldn't get seat time in anything I am looking at).

As far as I'm aware, dealers here won't allow 30 minute test rides. I guess I could sit on them in the showroom for a half hour and see how I feel? haha

That being said, most car dealers around here won't let you go out for a half an hour....

Yes, I'm finding tons of great info on ADV Rider.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior