CB500X vs V-Strom 650XT vs KLR650 vs Tenere 700

Maddmatt

Explorer
So it's been a couple months, any decisions?

Lots of good advice so far, but I'll share my experience anyway. I started riding late in life (45) and the first thing I did was buy a helmet, the second was to take the MSR course. The course I did was very valuable, and included the test, both riding and written, for the license endorsement, so I just had to go over to the DMV and get my license updated, which was nice.

Then I bought the best bike I could afford (I set myself a budget of $2500) and ended up with the Ninja 500. Not my dream bike, but it was in perfect shape. And I rode that thing constantly. Lots of mountain passes, some dirt roads (not fun!), but basically just spent that first summer putting as many miles on it as I could. And the next summer. And the summer after that.

I'm 6' tall, with decades of mountain and road bike experience, but even still that little Ninja was intimidating at first. Plus riding in that position, at my age, killed my back, and when coming down passes and canyons that sportbike/fuel tank position was not kind to other parts of my body.

So for my second bike I went full adventure, with the Triumph Tiger 800. With several thousand miles under my belt, I found that now the bigger bike, with its greatly increased horsepower, upright seating and height (I can just get both toes down at a level stoplight) is actually much easier to ride than that little Ninja. Also the bigger wheels and tires - expansion joints, grooved pavement, cracks in the pavement - all these things would just redirect that little Ninja, I don't even notice them most of the time on the Tiger.

And dirt roads are just fun now. I've even done a couple sections of the Colorado BDR, fully loaded down with camping gear, and there were a couple sections that I was convinced were going to be the end of me, and the next thing I knew I was at the top.

Not trying to sell you on the Triumph (although its awesome) - but the process I followed, purely by accident, worked well for me. Get trained, then get miles, then find "the" bike.

Grassland

I'd still lean towards the Suzuki 650.
Nice middle of the road, all around useful bike.
Edmonton roads are somewhat better than Winnipeg.
A few months in and a 3-400cc bike will have you bored to tears and hating highway travel.
If you are smart and conservative, which you come across as both, too much power isn't the top concern for a new rider.
There are plenty of things to get you, like garbage roads, debris on the road (curse those black rubber Bungie cords with metal hooks, I see 2 per day on the road minimum) ignorant/incompetent car and truck drivers, weather.
You will be busy paying attention to the road and what other drivers are doing and making sure your lane choice and position is ideal etc.
If you have any control over your wrist at all, a 650ish bike isn't going to scare you or be the downfall of you.

Once you take the 20 hour course (which I found very good all around) you'll find those Yammie 250s tapped out just doing the laps and course.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'd still lean towards the Suzuki 650.
Nice middle of the road, all around useful bike.
Edmonton roads are somewhat better than Winnipeg.
A few months in and a 3-400cc bike will have you bored to tears and hating highway travel.
If you are smart and conservative, which you come across as both, too much power isn't the top concern for a new rider.
There are plenty of things to get you, like garbage roads, debris on the road (curse those black rubber Bungie cords with metal hooks, I see 2 per day on the road minimum) ignorant/incompetent car and truck drivers, weather.
You will be busy paying attention to the road and what other drivers are doing and making sure your lane choice and position is ideal etc.
If you have any control over your wrist at all, a 650ish bike isn't going to scare you or be the downfall of you.

Once you take the 20 hour course (which I found very good all around) you'll find those Yammie 250s tapped out just doing the laps and course.
Funny you say that. I was looking at this over the weekend:

Vstrom1.jpg
Vstrom 2.jpg
Funny you also mention the potential of too much power. I've read the power delivery in the VStrom is ideal for a new rider.

I am def conservative. Even when driving my truck. So I'm sure I'll be super cautious on a bike. Already spent I don't know how long reading reviews on gear, watching some great Fortnine tutorial videos (If you haven't watched them, their fantastic. The guy is pretty funny therefor engaging but yet quite educational) Also been watching various YoutTube videos. Some neat tips / tricks. Saw one about an easier way to mount an adventure bike by standing on the footpeg 1st.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior