CBD Encouraging the closure of Red Rock Canyon to Vehicular Use!

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
Center for Biological Diversity Encouraging the closure of Red Rock Canyon to Vehicular Use!

Red Rock Canyon State Park is amending their General Plan.

Comments needed in support of designating the route system throughout the Park to keep the roads open.

Red Rock Canyon State Park is not only rich in beautiful geology, but it is even richer in it's mining history and culture and we the people deserve to be able to responsibly tour the Park by motorized means.

CBD is on a all out letter writing campaign to ban all vehicle access to the park
Here is link to CBD release http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/2167/t/5243/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=26365
Pretty scary stuff !

Letters and emails must be received by January 5th.
Please write your comments to both of the following,

Rdingman@Parks.Ca.Gov

RedRock@edaw.com

More info. www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25064

The El Pasos received some recent snow, the last time we remember it being like this is (6-8" at Burro Schmidt's) in the mid-90's (92?) and it is really beautiful in the mountains around Ridgecrest. The Red Rocks State Park Management Plan is in its comment period, and we need your input. The following note came in from one of our members and I thought it important enough to pass along.
"The Center for Biological Diversity is urging it's members to write letters encouraging the closure of the entire 27, 000 acres of Red Rock Canyon to vehicular use. The Center notes the Management Plan will govern use of the area for the next 20 years, and cites 2 endangered plants and the Mohave Ground Squirrel as some of the reasons to close the area. They are using buzzwords such as "defacto roads" and stating vehicles are destr oying the pristine environment and killing desert tortoises.

Please see if you can make the time to write your own letter supporting the continued use of vehicles in Red Rock Canyon. Email your comments to: www.RedRock@edaw.com

or mail them to:
Russ Dingman,
California State Parks, Tehachapi District,
43779 15th Street West,
Lancaster, California, 93534-4754.

For more info go to: www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25064

Here's an example of one person's comment:

I have been visiting Red Rocks State Park for over 20 years at least
once a month. I have never seen NEVER evidence of a tortoise killed on
one of the existing access roads to this beautiful area. I do suggest we
should limit access to roads that were established by the 1980's, such as
the 4wd routes through lower Last Chance Canyon. Thank You
Charles Hattendorf
Friends of Last Chance Canyon

Thanks for taking the time to write some comments.

Merry Christmas,

Greg Weirick
Advocates for Access to Public Lands
www.access-advocates.org

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
This is a perfect example of how we can show that we are land users who are ready to take care of the land.
Between folks who have visited like SinCity and know the area (you should say so in your letter), and those of us who would like to visit the area, it is important to write letters and show another side to the story.

Please send an email and mention that you would like to keep motorize access avalible for family use and responsible off highway driving.

Let them know that you spend money in the local economy, that you are willing to work with researchers and land managers to document wildlife and land conditions, that you believe contact with remote spaces and historic sites is important to your childs education and quality of life, and that you know for persons with physical mobility issues motorized access is the only access possible.

It will only take a minute to write an email or make a phone call or best do both..but it could make the difference between access or none.

thanks

jcbrandon

Explorer
SinCity, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Here's the text of the comments I just e-mailed to RedRock@edaw.com

I support motorized access in Red Rock Canyon State Park.

As plans for the park are reviewed and updated, please consider the many ways that continued motorized recreational access supports the public interest:

-Motorized access is one of the easiest and most accessible methods for families, especially those with young children, to enjoy public lands.

-Motorized recreationists contribute significantly to the local economy.

-Motorized vehicles open up the backcountry to people with disabilities.

-Motorized access allows more people to enjoy their public lands. This increases awareness of the need to conserve these lands for future generations. Encouraging and enabling people to enjoy public lands helps assure their stewardship.

-Responsible motorized recreation can be managed without degrading the value of public lands to all user groups. Reducing or eliminating motorized recreational access to public lands leads to increased conflicts between motorized and non-motorized user groups.

-Motorized user groups contribute significant volunteer time and resources to maintaining public lands.

-The presence of motorized users in the backcountry contributes significantly to the safety and security of all users. Vehicular recreationists can and do provide water, equipment, assistance, communication, transportation, and sometimes even evacuation to non-motorized users who are under-prepared or have merely had bad luck in remote areas. Without this vehicular safety net, many backcountry experiences could escalate from minor annoyances to life-threatening situations.

Please work to provide continued motorized access in Red Rock Canyon State Park.

T4Rfun

Well done JC.

My emails have been sent and I also encourage all to send an email to help keep this area open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78