CDN Chris's Pajero

CDNChris

Observer
Hi guys. I am officially a legit member of Expedition Portal now. I've been in the market for a while trying to decide between a Land Cruiser or Pajero and after some help from this forum, decided the Pajero was the way to go. So, being from Calgary, I drove up to Edmonton with some friends for a bachelor party and I bought a 95 Pajero 2.8L diesel while I was up there. I had been in contact with the owner for a couple weeks and the timing worked out. This is a RHD Japanese import with just under 140,000 kms on it. The plan is to slowly build it up to the point where it is a self sustaining vehicle that can haul my family to the middle of nowhere. It is going to be a slow process for the first couple years as I'm just about to graduate from school in April with an accounting degree and it doesn't pay very well at the start:squint: ....but we'll get there and we'll have fun as we go.

So I'll add to my list of things to do as I go but here is the current thinking

-Clean up the interior and exterior
-Fluids
-Add LED lighting to the interior
-Tint windows
-Paint roof rack, door handles, mirrors, basically anything chromey, black.
-Custom fab winch bumper and rear bumper
-On board compressor for tools and tires

Here are a couple pics. First one right after I bought it, the second one the following morning......Edmonton sucks and so do these pictures but I'll take more in the next few days once the weather gets better and I give it a wash.
20150321_200421_zpsxbssagh0.jpg

20150322_095904_zpshcbpjdbt.jpg

I would appreciate any feedback and help as I go. These are new to me and my mechanical knowledge is limited. Actually, this is all new to me. I used to be more interested in cars and had no interest in off-roading but something changed in me. Now I just want to get away from people. But not you guys:sombrero:

Last edited:

CDNChris

Observer
Thanks guys!

I'm really enjoying so far. I've only been driving to and from school so nothing eventful but I like how it drives. I got it washed and took some photos of how she currently sits. Tomorrow I plan to do a thorough cleaning of the interior. I'll take out the seats, steam clean the carpet and seats, and clean up all the plastic bits. This is weather dependent but the forecast calls for nice weather. I'm also going to remove the rain guards(?) around the windows and maybe take of the running boards. I'll also do some sticker removal. So on to the pictures:

20150326_143322_zpswfyjvkis.jpg

20150326_143335_zpsmpm9oa8w.jpg

20150326_143402_zpszp9m79wp.jpg

20150326_143348_zps0roasgua.jpg

20150326_143442_zpsjggmvgtl.jpg

20150326_143452_zpssnby5pnl.jpg

20150326_143529_zpsvnqnjw61.jpg

20150326_143603_zps7dw9cc1l.jpg

I'm unsure of the roof rack. I think it will do for now but I'd like to move to a longer one. In the meantime, I'll paint it black. I'm going to do some window trim touch up with Plasti Dip as well as the chrome bits. I've used the stuff in the past and have been really happy with how it turns out. I'll give the door handles a shot too and see how it holds up.

Last edited:

CDNChris

Observer
Oh and one other thing. Have any of you swapped out steering wheels to something more sporty and smaller? I'm thinking about it as I find my legs are pretty snug up against the steering wheel and a smaller diameter wheel might give me some breathing room.

TheMole

Adventurer
Pajero looks good man jealous of those window visors! Haven't thought about changing the steering wheel, but I've done it a few times on Toyota/Lexus vehicles. Generally the splines from other Mitsubishi models should be the same, but the main issue is always the airbag connector (if you want a functional one). A nice Nardi or Personal steering wheel, maybe even from an Evo, might look pretty cool.

CDNChris

Observer
Thanks TheMole. If you're interested in the window visors, you can have them if you pay for shipping. I'll have no use for them and would prefer to give them to someone instead of tossing 'em. I like the Evo wheel idea. I'll look into that. I love Evo's.

Thoughts on running board removal? Should I wait until I get sliders down the road or take them off now? I think she'll look better with them off and don't plan to do any rock climbing.

TheMole

Adventurer
Really appreciate your generosity on the window visors! I would have loved to take you up on the offer, but I already have an aftermarket set installed.

Blighty

Gravel Bike Racer, Bushcraft Wannabee
Why the "Adventure Wanker"? You're not looking for nice places to enjoy your own company?

CDNChris

Observer
Why the "Adventure Wanker"? You're not looking for nice places to enjoy your own company?

Lol. It's just a joke since the name Pajero means wanker in Spanish or something along those lines.

Today I did some thorough cleaning of the interior and removed stickers and the window visors. I removed the front seats and vacuumed the carpet down all over with a Rug Doctor. I then removed the center console and gave it a really good wash down - it was pretty yucky in those parts.....so many little crevices. I then gave all the plastic bits a good wipe down. I'll give the windows a clean tomorrow as I ran out of time today. Here are a couple photos but I didn't take very many of the process. Sometimes you just get in the zone, ya know?

Fortunately I have a 3 and 1 year old to help in this process. For those with kids, you know how helpful they can be.... Here's my daughter hanging out and getting in the way
20150327_115139_zpskpohgcis.jpg

Here's the center console ripped out. It was pretty mucky in this area and I tend to get a little OCD about this kind of stuff. If I didn't control it I imagine I'd have the vehicle gutted and completely cleaned... It's a disease I have to live with.
20150327_143059_zpskzttamhi.jpg

Mostly put back together. I still need to soak and clean the cover and cup holder pieces. These photos don't provide a good before/after story I realize so I apologize for the lack of detail. Just trust me, that a lot of effort was made to get it really clean.
20150327_154900_zpsc5daks0f.jpg

Oh I forgot to mention I also removed the tools on the roof rack. It wasn't a great set up and required tools to get them off. I may have to build my own rack......

paj54

Observer
Congrats on your new Paj. I have a 94 Shorty. You seem to have all in order but I would strongly suggest you give the cooling system a serious going over and flush. These are great engines but prone to cracked heads if cooling system is neglected or mods like upping fuel mixture are made. Love my Paj and congrats to another RHD canuck.

CDNChris

Observer
Congrats on your new Paj. I have a 94 Shorty. You seem to have all in order but I would strongly suggest you give the cooling system a serious going over and flush. These are great engines but prone to cracked heads if cooling system is neglected or mods like upping fuel mixture are made. Love my Paj and congrats to another RHD canuck.

Thanks for the advice. I will make sure to do that!

CDNChris

Observer
Is there a cross compatibility with roof rack mounts for different vehicles? Like, will Land Rover mounts work on the Pajero?

D4782

Observer
Hey Chris, good to see some more detail shots of The Wank (as my wife affectionally calls my Pajero.) Glad you decided to go with the Pajero. Let me know when you're up for a little trip out West. Keep the photos coming!
PS. I'm doing Ball joints and dampener replacement soon, may need a 2nd set of hands...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle