CDN M101 Questions

quantum73

Adventurer
I have been lurking here for awhile and would first like to thank everyone for the great information available here.

Now, on to the reason I am posting. I recently did a SOA on my trailer and have a couple "issues". First, it seems that the e-brake cables are just a bit too short to use the original mounting brackets under the tub. Has anyone else encountered this and if so, what did you do to correct it? I would like to retain the e-brake. I have considered fabbing a couple brackets to lower the tub mounting point where it will reach properly. I have also considered pulling 2-3 of the short springs out of the leaf packs for handling purposes and thought this might allow the cables to just fit. Any thoughts?

The second question I have is regarding the SOA shock position. With the lower shock mounting bolt in place at the rear of the axle (as before the SOA), the shock is near the limits of it's compression. I see that several people have moved the lower mount in front of the axle, but it seems like the shock would be at a very poor angle to actually work effectively. In essence, it would sit more horizontal than vertical. My solution is to purchase or fab some custom shock mounts (http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/paired-bracket-curved-p-49.html) and weld them to the axle. I just ordered a set of the NAPA Response 94038's and this type of bracket appears to give the shocks a very good operating angle in regards to the suspension travel as well as an excellent range of motion when both loaded and unloaded. Again, any thoughts? Would anyone happen to know the axle tube diameter on the M101 stock axle?

Thanks for your time.

Overland

Observer
this is a link to my build of the same trailer....

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23824

there is some good pics of exactly how my shocks are after the spring over. i also removed only the very shortest spring on the bottom of the pac to try and soften the ride up. my brake cable reached fine after the spring over...? oh maye this is because i actually am running my axle upside down and backwards....instead of cutting the sring perches off and re-welding them i just flipped the axle over...before everyone jumps on me for this, the only thing that e-brake is for is for when the trailer is stopped so i dont feel it makes a difference if it is leading or trailing. and there shouldn't be any other difference that i could see in running that axle backwards. so by doing this it moved the e-brake closer to where it was originally before the SOA. you will also notice the axle is flat and has no arch to it so again no issue.

i have 35"s on mine with no clearance issues even when loaded with RTT, propane, 21gallons of water, battery and all the camping gear. i run the tires at a pretty low pressure since even with all that stuff it is pretty lighweight...i think there is like 18psi in them right now. so that helps solve any issues from having the shocks not being as efficient as they could be in a different mounting location.

good luck...

quantum73

Adventurer
Thanks for the info! I actually did take a good look at your build before doing my SOA. I also handled the axle the same as you did. I saw no downside as it is just an e-brake and the axle is flat.

How did removing a single leaf work? I will be running 315x75R16 and a similar load-out so the end product will be very similar to yours. I calculated needing to remove the 3 shortest leafs but was going to wait until the build was complete and final weight reached...

Oh, another general question came to mind. How did everyone patch all the holes in the tub after removing all the tarp holders and other assorted stuff? Seems like a lot to patch but necessary to keep the load dry...

Last edited:

Overland

Observer
quote "I calculated needing to remove the 3 shortest leafs "

theres calculations....?:Wow1: i just took the one off to see if it made a difference and put the 35's on at the same time and as i said i run them with pretty low pressure so i dont know if the improved handling of the trailer is due to the tires or the spring removed....i imagine a combination of the two. empty she is pretty light and bouncy but once loaded up it rides real nice. havent had a chance to get it on any extreme trails so dont really know how well it flexs. thats not the plan anyway, i tow it to where i want to wheel then set it up and leave it there as base camp.

as for the holes, i welded up everything except the tie down holes. for those i got some nice plastic upholstery plugs and pushed them in...so if i ever need the tiedowns back on i can bolt them straight back on after pulling the plugs. i kind of like the look of the black plugs anyway, you can see them in the build thread. i have never had issues with dust or water getting in. i also ran some sticky one side weather stripping around the edge of the tub so the lid closes tight to it....but for your refference, stick it to the lid so it isnt damaged by you loading and unloading the trailer and dragging stuff across it.

lowenbrau

Explorer
Here's mine.

http://gallery.2slow.ca/view_album.php?set_albumName=M101cdn

I just dropped the brake cable brackets a bit and welded some shock mounts on the axle.

view_photo.php

view_photo.php

d0ubledown

Observer
i just used a longer bolt and some bigger nuts to space down the cable brackets. are your backing plates in original location? i put mine upside down so that the ebrake cable enters in from the top, therefore i just had to drop down the cable bracket an inch or 2. if your ebrakes arent inverted like mine are, then you'll need to drop down the brackets quite bit more..something like 6" IIRC.

for the shocks, i just left the mount as is. yes it cuts the travel in half, but ive yet to encounter it bottoming out. this is on 295/75/16's. all leaf packs still in. off road, i just air down and it seems to handle the bumps quite well. washboard roads and roads scattered with puddles, you kind of have to pick your line accordingly, especially at speed.

i have not plugged any holes, as i still have all my original tie downs in tact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior