Cell phone as hot spot

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
To the OP, Yes the Android devices can run Netflix, you can just add the device to your existing Netflix account.

Nice part is, you can download movies and shows while you have service, and watch them when you don't have service (like in Airplane Mode, or out of range) Works great for my son at the cabin. Rainy day, stuck inside? No problem, I have some cartoons recorded!

As far as a 'Free' hot spot, I use the "FoxFi" wireless hot spot app. It's a free app, and doesn't require any 'rooting' or 'jailbreaking' the phone.

Haven't tried downloading movies with 'FoxFi', but have used it to check email and cruise forums.

My phone is a Motorola Droid Razor. I used "Pda.Net" for free tethering on my original Droid.

Good Luck with the new office phone! Hopefully it does what ya need!

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
what service you on for FoxFi? (phone company)

Sorry! I have Verizon for service. Grandfathered in on the 'Unlimited Data and Text' plan, but to use the Razor as a 'hotspot', it was an extra $30 a month.

I tried the PDA.net, but found the 'FoxFi' worked better with the Razor.

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
i'd be temted to try that on sprint. i use their app that came on the phone, but its 30 extra for the hotspot...

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Off-Roader, what do you mean by an iOS device being difficult to root keep rooted?
I guess 'difficult' is a relative term. To me extending my contract to acquire the phone for a price I'm ok with; rooting it so I can use it as a hotspot without paying a monthly charge to Verizon; the having to 'un-root' it for periodic ios updates that are relevant for the apps I'm running on it; then having to wait for the latest way to root it because the aforementioned iOS update requires a new process to root it....

That's 'difficult'.

BillTex

Adventurer
To the OP, Yes the Android devices can run Netflix, you can just add the device to your existing Netflix account.

Nice part is, you can download movies and shows while you have service, and watch them when you don't have service (like in Airplane Mode, or out of range)

I thought Netflix was streaming only?
Tx, B

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I am interested to know how to download from Netflix, that would be a great help but cannot figure out how.

I guess 'difficult' is a relative term. To me extending my contract to acquire the phone for a price I'm ok with; rooting it so I can use it as a hotspot without paying a monthly charge to Verizon; the having to 'un-root' it for periodic ios updates that are relevant for the apps I'm running on it; then having to wait for the latest way to root it because the aforementioned iOS update requires a new process to root it....

That's 'difficult'.

So your basically saying its difficult because you jailbreak it. I don't see the advantages of jail breaking it since it can void the warranty. To each his own though.

As far as all the companies charging us if we want to use it as a hotspot I think that's a bunch of bs. They already charge more than enough for the limited data why should they care how we use it. I mean what is it if you go over like $25 for an extra gig? I think they'd make more money by letting you use it however you wanted. JMHO

off-roader

Expedition Leader
So your basically saying its difficult because you jailbreak it. I don't see the advantages of jail breaking it since it can void the warranty. To each his own though.

As far as all the companies charging us if we want to use it as a hotspot I think that's a bunch of bs. They already charge more than enough for the limited data why should they care how we use it. I mean what is it if you go over like $25 for an extra gig? I think they'd make more money by letting you use it however you wanted. JMHO

I agree but unfortunately those are the facts. With verizon if you want to use their current cell phones as a hotspot, you either pay a +$20/month fee to use it as one or jailbreak your phone and use a 3rd party software to allow wifi hotspot sharing. Alternatively there are a number of older verizon compatible phones that don't need to be jail broken which you can use as a hotspot w/out the additional fees. Those are the ones I'm trying to find.

TIA

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears