******** Cepek Fun Country II

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Winter

I withheld final judgement on the FCII until I had a fair amount of winter driving miles on them. The skies cooperated over the past couple months as we have seen above average snowfall this year. After lots of snow and considerable ice (which just wasn't very slippery with FCII) I have formed a strong opinion. I agree with the majority of the posts on the web, the FCII is a very good winter tire.

I will qualify my statements with the fact that I have never owned a set of dedicated 'winter' tires, neither for a car or light truck. I have owned many sets of all-season, all-terrain, cross-over, and mud-terrain tires and the FCII is The Best winter tire I have ever run. In fact it may be the most versatile and best all-around 4x4 tire I have ever used. An amazing balance of wear, traction, noise (moderate), appearance, ride... I don't think I have anything negative to say about the tire.

However, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool 255/85R16 fan and I'm going back to that size for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Noise

I wasn't certain about the noise difference between the FCII and the similar (in void ratio & focus) Cooper S/T. The FCII does make more noise than one might think when looking at the tread, though I would call the sound ‘mild’ compared to most MT designs.

Having just remounted Cooper S/Ts on the car, it was immediately evident that the S/Ts are indeed louder than the FCII. Closer to an MT than the FCII. When you look at the treads side by, even with the gross disparity between the 285/75 & 255/85 sizes, it’s clear that the Cooper S/T has more void, particularly in the center of the tire.

Attachments

• FCII vs ST photo.jpg
    FCII vs ST photo.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I will qualify my statements with the fact that I have never owned a set of dedicated 'winter' tires, neither for a car or light truck. I have owned many sets of all-season, all-terrain, cross-over, and mud-terrain tires and the FCII is The Best winter tire I have ever run. In fact it may be the most versatile and best all-around 4x4 tire I have ever used. An amazing balance of wear, traction, noise (moderate), appearance, ride... I don't think I have anything negative to say about the tire.

I glad they are working out for you! I hoped you'd have the same experience with them as I did using them for winter driving. I sure didn't want to steer you wrong. There's a joke in there somewhere I suspect.

I'm waffling as to whether I'm going to mount another set of Dean's SXTs on the Tundra next time or go back to the FCIIs. The Deans definitely have the edge when it comes to mud, but the Tundra see's more commute than trail. The FCIIs certianly have the edge for commuting and work especially with our lake effect winters. I think the Deans will stay on the Jeep though as it is more set up for backwoods driving.

I wasn't certain about the noise difference between the FCII and the similar (in void ratio & focus) Cooper S/T. The FCII does make more noise than one might think when looking at the tread, though I would call the sound ‘mild’ compared to most MT designs.

Having just remounted Cooper S/Ts on the car, it was immediately evident that the S/Ts are indeed louder than the FCII. Closer to an MT than the FCII. When you look at the treads side by, even with the gross disparity between the 285/75 & 255/85 sizes, it’s clear that the Cooper S/T has more void, particularly in the center of the tire.

Yeah, I was surprised how loud the STs were when Jim first got them on his Tundra.

jim65wagon

Yeah, I was surprised how loud the STs were when Jim first got them on his Tundra.

Me too! I was even more surprised when Beth said they weren't too loud! I know when you bought the Tundra you couldn't find the DC's for a good price....and I would let that dictate the next set. Find the DC's inexpensive enough buy 'em....can't find the DC's, get the Dean's.

Again, good post, Redline. The comparison between so many tires is invaluable. Thanks for your efforts.

alana123

Dodgy FCII's

I Bought my Mickey Thompson FCII's in 2005, they were replaced under recall because Cracks appeared at the bottom of the tread and the replacement set stared doing the same thing, the MT rep said they were fine, now... 10000Kms later considerable cracking on the perimeter of the tread, wire belts clearly visible, MT sent out a new rep, he said, Unsafe, but not interested, claiming misuse. partially relating his misuse assumption to tyre pressures being to high even though I regularly dropped the tyre pressures when offroad.
Anyone else having this same problem?

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't think they even made these tires anymore. I had them on my first truck back in 1994. I was into mud bogging back then and hated them (they came on the truck when I bought it). I'm kinda interested in them now.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
31x10.50R15

Met a guy in a parking lot today who had a nicely modified XJ with 31x10.50R15 DC FCII tires mounted. I asked him how he liked his tires, and he said he liked them so much that this is his second set. Said he got 40k out of the first set, they wore very evenly, and they were worn at 40k but still good for spares. He didn't know the tread depth.

So there is yet another second hand wear report in a different size, consistent with my experience and all the other data I'm gathering on these treads. I wish I didn't sell my set in 285/75R16D, I want another set.

My FCII 265s have their place but sometimes are just a little short for the appearance and clearance on my car.

Last edited:

Snafu

Adventurer
I looked at this thread before buying my FCII's last week...I love them!

I've already had them in sand, rocks, mud, wet roads, puddles, and on the highway at high speeds....In fact I was in the desert and romping in the mud holes within two hours of picking up the truck after work!

Mine are 33x12.50 and mounted on 17x9 wheels and bolted onto a 2006 Ram 1500. The noise is barely noticeable on the highway with the windows open. As soon as I closed up the truck it was something I had to listen for really.

DSC04591.jpg

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm a little surprised, but of course balancing can be the problem with an tire (or any set of tires), either when new or as they wear. Sorry to hear it.

Did you eliminate the wheels as a possible cause? Has someone rotated the tires on the wheels? I needed to rotate a new tire 180* on a wheel this week, which lowered the weight needed from 8+oz. to 3.5.

What size are they?

Are they 'blems'?

Last edited:

Bowhunter

Wow what a great in-depth review of these tires, great info thanks for sharing.

I was looking for information for these tires and like you say not a lot of reviews. By a chance Google search I stumbled across this site and there is just a wealth of info on here, neat site!! I see I'm going to be here more often.

Anyway I have it narrowed down to the FC II or the BFG AT KO (I have run them good tire) for my needs. I'm not an expedition type of a person but I bow hunt and I fly fish so I get off the beaten track as they say. I'm looking for a tire that lasts and is at home on pavement (I live in the city) and the back woods.

My only concern with the FC II was the lack of a snowflake symbol for winter weather. I live in NS Canada :26_7_2: so we get winter here LOL. Reading your comments about your experiences with these tires during winter was very helpful.

Now I just need to make a decision, go with something I know and trust (the BF) or try an unknown. I just wish these FC II did not look so good, might be an easier decision:drool: Oh yea I run a Chev Colorado Z71 by the way, she is my daily driver so I don't abuse her too much.

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer

I was looking for information for these tires and like you say not a lot of reviews. By a chance Google search I stumbled across this site and there is just a wealth of info on here, neat site!! I see I'm going to be here more often.

Anyway I have it narrowed down to the FC II or the BFG AT KO (I have run them good tire) for my needs. I'm not an expedition type of a person but I bow hunt and I fly fish so I get off the beaten track as they say. I'm looking for a tire that lasts and is at home on pavement (I live in the city) and the back woods.

My only concern with the FC II was the lack of a snowflake symbol for winter weather. I live in NS Canada :26_7_2: so we get winter here LOL. Reading your comments about your experiences with these tires during winter was very helpful.

Now I just need to make a decision, go with something I know and trust (the BF) or try an unknown. I just wish these FC II did not look so good, might be an easier decision:drool: Oh yea I run a Chev Colorado Z71 by the way, she is my daily driver so I don't abuse her too much.

Be car full with the BFG AT's I have herd that they lost there snowflake symbol and are no longer classified as an extreme weather tire.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride

Whether or not your see yourself as an overland traveler or enthusiast, there is surely much information helpful to outdoorsmen on this site. ☺

Lots of people love the BFG ATs and any consideration of a mild or moderate tread all-terrain tire surely must include the BFG AT. I should test a set of BFG ATs so I can speak from personal, direct experience, but the tire has yet to interest me enough to spend my money on them. While I have run a few sets of BFG MTs, I have never owned their ATs. I think they ‘may be' a great tire, many people seem to like them. I also think they are very well advertised and marketed. In general I prefer an all-around tire with a bit more void, mostly for the very wet & thick winter slush that is on the Sierra Nevada highways in the winter. More void with a larger opening to the outer edges of the tire will also help in light/moderate mud compared to a tire like the BFG AT with a more closed pattern. Of course, with more void usually comes a bit more noise.

Multiple opinions here and on The Tire Rack's website seem to confirm that the FCII is an above average winter tire. Surely there are better, dedicated winter/snow tires, but I would not let the absence of the Mountain Snowflake stop me from choosing the FCII.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998