Changing my spark plugs...

M

modelbuilder

Again another first for me...anything I should watch out for?

dms1

Explorer
Even though most Spark plugs come pre gapped, you should double check them. Don't over tighten when putting the new plugs in, especially if you have an aluminum head.

And make sure you put the spark plug wires back in the right spot. :wings:

M

modelbuilder

Even though most Spark plugs come pre gapped, you should double check them. Don't over tighten when putting the new plugs in, especially if you have an aluminum head.

And make sure you put the spark plug wires back in the right spot. :wings:

Sweet...so should I just tighten them enough to be snug?

dms1

Explorer
13ft lbs is what my 99 4Runner calls for - On my 85 4 Runner there is no torque specification, so I snug it down and then add 1 quarter turn.

You should get a shop manual for your rig (try to find one online) - has lots of good info.

M

modelbuilder

Thanks much...finished them last night. My old ones were shot!

TimS

Adventurer
Use a torque wrench. Remember, the torque value is based on no antisieze being used. If you put antisieze on and torque the plug to the value indicated, you will actually be over tightening the plug.

chasespeed

Explorer
And with that note.... I HOPE you used some anti-seize.... if not, pull them when you have a chance, and put a little on the threads. run them in BY HAND. once they are bottomed, 1/4 turn should do the job. Hard to "tell" someone how tight they should be, its more of a "feel".......

Chase

M

modelbuilder

And with that note.... I HOPE you used some anti-seize.... if not, pull them when you have a chance, and put a little on the threads. run them in BY HAND. once they are bottomed, 1/4 turn should do the job. Hard to "tell" someone how tight they should be, its more of a "feel".......

Chase

Owners manual specs said 20 lbs...set my wrench to and tightened it to 15.

Wyowanderer

Explorer
Use a torque wrench. Remember, the torque value is based on no antisieze being used. If you put antisieze on and torque the plug to the value indicated, you will actually be over tightening the plug.

And using antisieze (unless it's specifically designed for spark plugs) will thermally insulate the plug from the cylinder head and cause the plug to run hotter.

corax

Explorer
a bit late on the advice, but avoid anything with more than one ground electrode

closeplug.jpg

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i have my reservations about multi electrodes being gimmicky, but toyota actually specs twin electrode plugs for the tacoma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle