Changing trailer hubs to match tow vehicle wheels ? advise please.

Uluax

Hopefully someone here can steer me in the right direction. I have recently bought this used Lead Dog Hiker Teardrop. The original owner had a Jeep so he had it built with Jeep wheels (5 on 5).
My tow vehicle is a 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 which has a 6 on 5 hole pattern. I went to the local Trailer source store to try and find matching trailer hubs and I was told that trailer hubs are only available in 6 on 5.5". Someone else mentioned that there might be an aluminum adapter available to install an actual Chevy hub on a trailer axle but couldn't help me locate such an animal. Anyone have any ideas how I could match my Chevy wheels on my teardrop ?

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    981.5 KB · Views: 37

john61ct

Adventurer
Replacing the whole axle can be very inexpensive.

Not saying do that, but price it out to compare to the other solutions.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Redrilling the hubs is cheap too, provided the hub surface is big enough for the new bolt pattern.

Any half-decent machine shop could do it for you.

CampStewart

Observer
Look on Etrailer.com and you should be able to find hubs in your pattern but you will need to know your axle capacity and spindle dimensions.

rnArmy

Adventurer
1. That's an odd bolt pattern. I couldn't find any hubs out there in a 6 on 5" pattern.

2. I second going with getting a set of 6 on 5.5" hubs and getting them drilled to 6 on 5". However...

3. Looking at the wheels on your truck, I don't know if the center hole on your rims are large enough for the spindle and hub to pass through. You need to get some calipers and see if they'll fit. Worst case scenario you'd have to machine your matching truck's rims to clear the hub (hopefully without weakening the rim).

4. A lot of factory rims now have a lot of backspacing. So you would need to measure to make sure even if you got a set of hubs drilled and your truck's rims fit over the spindle & hub, is there enough clearance between the inside edge of the tire and the edge of the trailer so they're not rubbing once bolted in place.

5. Or you could just buy a matching rim and tire for the trailer, find a way to mount it on the trailer as a spare, and call it done.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Is that the world base Colorado? If so, it'll be the Japanese standard of 6 x 139.7mm that is on all Toyota, Nissans and Mazdas that run 6 stud wheels.

honda250xtitan

if you can afford to widen the track width then call BORA aka Motorsport-tech and have them build you a pair of adaptors.

Lmg

I am pretty sure you already have spacers/adapters on the trailer in order to make the Jeep bolt pattern wheels fit. Get new spacers/adapters for the wheels you want to use, may need to be different thickness to compensate for any difference in back spacing in the wheels. However there is a minimum spacer/adaptor thickness required because trailer hub will not fit into the center hole of many of the current vehicle wheels.

CampStewart

Observer
How did you come to the conclusion that your lug pattern is 6 on 5 inch? I thought your initial post was a typo, I have never heard of that lug pattern my guess is 6x5.5

M8A1MuleBuilder

Hopefully someone here can steer me in the right direction. I have recently bought this used Lead Dog Hiker Teardrop. The original owner had a Jeep so he had it built with Jeep wheels (5 on 5).
My tow vehicle is a 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 which has a 6 on 5 hole pattern. I went to the local Trailer source store to try and find matching trailer hubs and I was told that trailer hubs are only available in 6 on 5.5". Someone else mentioned that there might be an aluminum adapter available to install an actual Chevy hub on a trailer axle but couldn't help me locate such an animal. Anyone have any ideas how I could match my Chevy wheels on my teardrop ?
eBay sells many alloy adapters

Uluax

I measured with calipers centerline to centerline @ 5" or 127 mm

etrailer.com does not have them but Bora or Spidertrax can supply an adapter. No adapter currently used for the Jeep wheels so I'll have to decide if I'm ok with widening the track. Maybe I'll just get a Hitchgate solo and keep the Jeep wheels, it gives me an inch of ground clearance over using the ZR2's 31" tires anyway.

Once again thanks to everyone who responded with advise.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Old school Jeeps (think CJs) were 5 on 5.5. The YJs and TJs are 5 on 4.5. Then the JKs came along, and they went to 5 on 5".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan