Charcoal grills for one

FettsWay

Adventurer
Does anyone have a small charcoal grill the works great for just one person?

Only big enough to cook 2 burgers at once?

I am looking to try and buy one or maybe make my own?

I love charcoal cooked meals but need something small and compact, just for me....like say the size of a large folgers coffee can?

Thought there might be some loaners out there who have pics or info they might share.

- fettsway.

I can't think of a small enough grill, but at OvExpo Expeditioneers had a very nice German made portable grill designed for the motorcycle expedition crowd. Sorry, I cannot remember the name, but I am sure that if you contact JP he will help you out. A bit larger (and probably more expensive) option is the droolworthy Snow Peak BBQ that Expedition Exchange sells.
snowpeak012%20006340.jpg

And another neat protable option is the "Laptop" grill they sell at WallMart and K-mart, slightly shoddy construction but very cool idea.
2483228561_75f79131af_o.jpg

Last edited:

paulj

Expedition Leader
Alton Brown (Good Eats) grilled a tuna steak over high heat using a charcoal starter. I don't recall what he used for the grill on top of the can.

Similar in size to your coffee can, but with the vent holes and charcoal support already in place.

A Kelly Kettle also comes to mind. This is a double wall water boiler. Some versions come with a grill that fits over the fire base.

I'd also recommend a Pyromid, but that isn't on the market anymore.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I have one of these that I like a lot:
go_anywhere_weber.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Weber-Grill-Cha...hash=item260371841707&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
This person seems to be very proud of them, $60+ dollars. But Weber doesn't make them anymore, so I guess whatever the market will bear.

But it sounds like that's even larger than what you want (it's about 13"x20"). I should think you could just make one from a folgers can. Cut some holes around the sides at the bottom for the draft and get a small piece of stainless flattened expanded metal to rest on top for the grilling surface.
If you wanted to get really fancy, poke holes for two metal rods to sit parrallel about 1/2 way down and use a smaller piece of expanded metal resting on those to hold your charcoal.

FettsWay

Adventurer
another idea

thanks for the replies and links.

what about making my own? Does that sound like a stupid idea in some way?

I would ideally like one about half a size bigger than a gallon paint can, but have a lid to close while cooking since that traps heat and gets the charcoal aroma really into the meat.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
what about making my own? Does that sound like a stupid idea in some way?

I would ideally like one about half a size bigger than a gallon paint can, but have a lid to close while cooking since that traps heat and gets the charcoal aroma really into the meat.
Doesn't sound stupid at all. My choice would be an appropriate sized ammo can. They're available is many sizes and have lids. A .50 cal can would be about the right size for two burgers.

JP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman