Charging batteries while driving?

dawsonc61

Observer
I'm sure there are a few who have done this, can you explain how? I want to be able to charge my two yellowtops while driving.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
maybe tell us a little more.

What vehicle do you have?
How many amps can the alternator handle?
Are the two yellowtops in addition to your vehicle's main battery?
Are the two yellowtops located in a trailer, pickup bed or....?
How much current will be pulled from the yellowtops while charging them?

dawsonc61

Observer
maybe tell us a little more.

What vehicle do you have? 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4.0 L
How many amps can the alternator handle? I have no idea...
Are the two yellowtops in addition to your vehicle's main battery? The two yellowtops are located in the tongue box of my trailer and therefore are in addition to the Jeeps main battery.
Are the two yellowtops located in a trailer, pickup bed or....? see above
How much current will be pulled from the yellowtops while charging them? I don't understand this question

I'm definitely a noob when it comes to most things electrical, especially DC. I didnt know if i just needed a hot wire from the car battery or alternator to a DC battery charger (if the is such a thing).

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I'm definitely a noob when it comes to most things electrical, especially DC. I didnt know if i just needed a hot wire from the car battery or alternator to a DC battery charger (if the is such a thing).

"Noob" is A-okay on this forum. We are all here to share and learn.

Please answer my initial questions as best as you can so that I can try to help you. We would want to connect a wire to your alternator but don't want to overload it. Your alternator is the DC battery charger in your car.

Most important:
  • What vehicle do you have?
  • What engine?
  • Are the two yellowtops in addition to your vehicle's main battery?
  • Are the two yellowtops located in a trailer, pickup bed or....?

We can figure these out next:
  • How many amps can the alternator handle?
  • How much current will be pulled from the yellowtops while charging them?

Casper

Adventurer
"Noob" is A-okay on this forum. We are all here to share and learn.

Please answer my initial questions as best as you can so that I can try to help you.

Not trying to be mean, but he did answer the initial questions you asked. They are the red part in his post above yours. (sorry, I missed it the first time as well) :coffeedrink:

Casper
:smiley_drive:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Not trying to be mean, but he did answer the initial questions you asked. They are the red part in his post above yours. (sorry, I missed it the first time as well) :coffeedrink:

Casper
:smiley_drive:

No not mean... I'm just stupid (LOL):elkgrin:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Okay, with my ears red, I'll start over with the answers that were provided

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4.0 L
The two yellowtops are located in the tounge box of my trailer

I'm sure other Expo folks can chime in so let's start with a general layout.

Some casual Googling says the alternator may be rated at 117 Amps. Keep in mind that it has to run your engine and charge the battery under the hood too.

A really simple system would be to connect to the battery with a large 4 gauge cable and a large amperage fuse, maybe 100 Amps. From there you'll want some decent large gauge (4 to 8) stranded cable to run along the frame and back by your towing receiver. At that point you'll want a good connector (exact type to be determined but see pix). On your trailer you could use a simple diode type battery isolator to connect the two batteries to the charging line. I would put additional in line 60 Amp fuses, one on each battery.

diode isolator
diode_1.jpg

quick connect plug
74200_part.jpg

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=42224

car audio typical 100 Amp fuses and holder available at auto stores
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-8-GAUGE-AGU-F...in_0?hash=item1c0c3972cb&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14

There are lots of dual battery threads on the forum that have lots of info in them.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Are you talking about a dual battery setup like this

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_dual_batteries.htm

There are other systems out there aswell that will put a toggle swicth in your cab so you don't need the giant marine battery switch in the system.

http://www.redarc.com.au/smart_battery_isolators.htm

It looks as if he will have three batteries total, one under the hood and two back in his trailer.

Maybe throw a solar panel on the trailer to help keep the batteries topped off?

dawsonc61

Observer
So you don't think I could run the hot wire through a 7 pin connector? then from there to the fuse then to the battery?

78Bronco

Explorer
So you don't think I could run the hot wire through a 7 pin connector? then from there to the fuse then to the battery?

It would depend on how much draw the batteries will require when you start charging them. I would go with the quick disconnect shown on the previous page. The big plug will ensure no melt downs during heavy charging tasks.

Here is a chart that will show you the size of wire to use over distance based on amperage draw.
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/12-volt-wire-gauge-amps.htm

The batteries in the trailer can be wired together constantly.

I've heard bad things about the diode isolators frying and killing batteries and vehicle electronics.

I would go with the redarc system so you can switch the charging function off while the engine is not running. If you kill you vehicle battery while out in the boonies you can connect the batteries in the trailer for jump starting just by flipping the switch.

Last edited:

Bullseye240

Adventurer
It would depend on how much draw they batteries will require when you start charging them. I would go with the quick disconnect shown on the previous page. The big plug will ensure no melt downs during heavy charging tasks.

The batteries in the trailer can be wired together constantly.

I've heard bad things about the diode isolators frying and killing batteries and vehicle electronics.

I would go with the redarc system so you can switch the charging function off while the engine is not running. If you kill you vehicle battery while out in the boonies you can connect the batteries in the trailer for jump starting just by flipping the switch.

I agree with this one and you can make a set of jumper cables that plug into it by simply buying two sets of the plugs. Then you dont have to open your hood to give someone a jumpstart. I have that setup on my Blazer and love it. People are always impressed with it when I don't open the hood to start theirs.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I am going to guess that the two batteries in the trailer are wired in parallel as a single battery bank, and can be treated (for a simple system) as one very large battery.

The reason for asking how much current is being drawn off the batteries while they are being charged is that what ever this current is directly subtracted from the charging current. Say that the trailer has a fridge in it. That means that the trailer battery(ies) have current demand of somewhere between 2 amps and 20 amps and those amps will not be used to charge the battery(ies).

The 7 pin trailer light connectors have a terminal for charging any trailer battery. This is a quite common feature of the larger RV type trailers. The problem with using this method of connection is that the terminal size limits the current to about 10 amps maximum. That is normally OK, you just won't be self jump-starting through that small of a connector.

The diode bridge type of isolator can result in poor battery life unless equipped with a voltage sensing terminal. Diodes have a "cracking voltage" which is the minimum voltage that has to be applied for them to turn on. This voltage is lost, it never makes it to the battery(ies), which reduces the maximum charge potential. In general more sophisticated battery management has moved away from using diodes.

My own preference is to use a "Voltage Sensing Relay" also known as an "Automatic Charge Relay." These devices sense primary battery voltage and allow it to be recharged after starting before connecting the trailer/auxiliary battery(ies) to the alternator.
http://www.delcity.net/store/Voltage-Sensing-Relay-!-Single-Sense/p_793852.a_1

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...rue&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=9&classNum=12106

dawsonc61

Observer
Awesome info guys, I appreciate it. Yes The batteries are going to be run in paralell and yes I will have a fridge running while driving. It's the new 50 qt ARB but I'm unsure how many amps it draws. I will probably run these plugs:
74200_part.jpg

I like the idea of rigging up a set of cables that plug in instead of messing with the hood. One of my buddies did this with his dual battery setup in his jeep. I also like the idea of being able to jump myself by plugging the jeep to the trailer! Very cool!

Like I said before, Thanks for all the ideas!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online