Charging goal zero yeti 400 off alternator?

Pensasmies

I would like to use a yeti 400 (lead acid) chained to an additional 33-35ah battery to power my van. My question is what is the best way to charge off the car's alternator and how do I wire it? I will also have a 100W solar panel hooked up.

On one thread it sounded like a guy just wired directly off the alternator - how do you connect it to the yeti 400 (8mm or anderson connector spliced into 8AWG wire off the alternator)? Keep in mind I am completely new to wiring. Do you not need a battery isolator? As I understand it, the front ports all go through the charge controller, but not the side Anderson ports - which shouldn't matter if using an isolator I think.

If I do need an isolator then again how do I connect a positive battery cable into the yeti, or is it better/possible to connect it to the auxiliary battery which is chained to the yeti?

Thank you so much to anyone who can provide some guidance.

Jeepskate

@Pensasmies did you ever figure this out?

I would assume (but am not certain) that a heavy gauge wire (fused, of course) direct to your vehicle’s battery posts would give you direct charging off your alternator. Isn’t the positive post of your battery wired directly to alternator with a mother-gauge wire?

Just received a Yeti 400 lead acid, and plan to charge it from vehicle each day while driving, and use it to power my Dometic CFX50W fridge 24/7, as well as the occasional LED light strip, and overnight smartphone/tablet charging.

I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL with a 12V cig lighter adapter in cargo area. However, I’ve installed the ARB fridge wiring kit with 10 AWG wiring direct to vehicle’s OEM battery - to get a better charge than through the small gauge OEM wiring. Waiting on some adapter cords from GZ, but plan to test next week and report back.

Last edited:

AmyH

I would assume (but am not certain) that a heavy gauge wire (fused, of course) direct to your vehicle’s battery posts would give you direct charging off your alternator. Isn’t the positive post of your battery wired directly to alternator with a mother-gauge wire?

Just received a Yeti 400 lead acid, and plan to charge it from vehicle each day while driving, and use it to power my Dometic CFX50W fridge 24/7, as well as the occasional LED light strip, and overnight smartphone/tablet charging.

I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL with a 12V cig lighter adapter in cargo area. However, I’ve installed the ARB fridge wiring kit with 10 AWG wiring direct to vehicle’s OEM battery - to get a better charge than through the small gauge OEM wiring. Waiting on some adapter cords from GZ, but plan to test next week and report back.
We're planning a similar set up so I'm interested in how your wiring to OEM battery works out!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

bigskypylot

Explorer

We're planning a similar set up so I'm interested in how your wiring to OEM battery works out!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
I did it. Ran a ground from the rear of SUV, 4ga wire off the alternator with inline fuse. Terminated with MC4 connections and used MC4/8mm plug and viola. Charges great. Theres a thread I look for and post

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger