Charging options?

tgil

I will continue to search, but my first one didn't even come close, so in the mean time I'll post a question and see if I get any ideas.
I'm headed out for just a few days of camping and fishing. I won't have access to electricity. What are some good options for keeping phone, camera and GoPro batteries charged without not being able to start the Jeep the next morning?

4000lbsOfGoat

If you just need to keep a few devices charged for a few days, Goal Zero makes some good, rugged USB power banks. I have a few of the Venture models and they've worked nicely for me. If you end up driving anywhere during your stay you can easily recharge them while you drive.

SBSYNCRO

What is your budget? There are literally thousands of options.

The Jackery 240 is on sale right now on Amazon (15% off IIRC). It’s enough to run a laptop and charge phones and GoPro for a day or two probably.

It can be recharged from the Jeep’s AC outlet (faster) or the 12v plug (slower)

Or you can add a 60w folding solar panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
. . . I'm headed out for just a few days of camping and fishing. I won't have access to electricity. What are some good options for keeping phone, camera and GoPro batteries charged without not being able to start the Jeep the next morning?
My 2¢:
Get a jump pack and continue to charge from Jeep battery. Use jump pack to start Jeep if necessary.
<or>
Get a marine trolling motor battery. It will have enough energy to charge electronic gadgets for a few days and can then be recharged at home.

Lots of other options the get more expensive/complicated.

yfarm

Observer
I use a $28 garden tractor battery in a marine box, waterproof cigarette lighter socket and 10 watt solar charger to charge phones, garmin inreach, etc for indefinite periods of time.

plh

Explorer
yeah, if you are not thinking you want to go deep, just get a USB power bank or 2. Although I also like the garden tractor battery idea above, I wouldn't go smaller than 20aH. Would probably be less $$ than a couple power banks unless you already own them.

Last edited:

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I charge our phones and tablet every night as well as operate led lights on my awning, in the top, etc and haven’t ever had a problem. I’m still running a single battery setup as I don’t have a fridge. Not sure what the amperage draw is but it may be minimal if you’re not using an inverter to charge with. Any device that coverts dc to ac is power hungry when compared to dc to dc chargers.

billiebob

If you leave the screens off, batteries last a long time. My Nikon runs for months, thousands of pictures on the same battery. Same with a new phone, turn off ALL the programs that eat battery life, and turn it off, if I ignore my iphone the battery is good for a week, maybe more. GoPro I have no idea.

FlipperFla

Power Pack….. My 26800 mAh charges my phone, headlamps, air pack, drone, Garmin GLO, Nikon camera, I pad Airll which really sucks the juice when running Gaia mapping real time constantly redrawing the maps. Only drawback if I run it completely down it takes about 20-24 hours to recharge. Newer models have a USB C connector for faster charging cutting the charge time in half. Just ordered a new one with the C connector should be delivered tomorrow, will give update after I test run and recharge times. They have really dropped in price since I bought mine, don’t waste your time on the ones with solar panels, just a gimmick, would take about a month to charge.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior