Chariot Trailer Camper Build

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I owned that same trailer back around 2000. Had plans to modify it like you have but only got to the following. Added big slider windows both sides with a shorter one on the door side. Was too claustrophobic before. Added roof vent with fan. Made a fabric add-a-room to cover the rear gate when lowered and leveled. Spent many evenings enjoying a cool one on my rear deck. It also came with a factory screen side door which helped cooling on those muggy Kentucky nights. Made a bed by fabing a 2x8 framework to raise a folding cot with storage under. A table in the nose, lights and fan added some comfort. I only kept it a couple of years so never got around to some of the great mods your doing. It was a fun trailer and always drew a lot of attention wherever it went.

Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richcz28

I owned that same trailer back around 2000. Had plans to modify it like you have but only got to the following. Added big slider windows both sides with a shorter one on the door side. Was too claustrophobic before. Added roof vent with fan. Made a fabric add-a-room to cover the rear gate when lowered and leveled. Spent many evenings enjoying a cool one on my rear deck. It also came with a factory screen side door which helped cooling on those muggy Kentucky nights. Made a bed by fabing a 2x8 framework to raise a folding cot with storage under. A table in the nose, lights and fan added some comfort. I only kept it a couple of years so never got around to some of the great mods your doing. It was a fun trailer and always drew a lot of attention wherever it went.

Ace

I would love to see some pictures of yours. I haven't done any work on the inside yet and I would really like to get some more windows in time. My side screen door is the only bug proof ventilation I have at the moment.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I don't think I have any inside shots or even outside ones I can post (none on my iPhone). The windows came from Chariot and were costly. I think they were 24" and 36" wide and did have screens. They were difficult to instal because of the hollow walls. I cut wood strips to reinforce the opening before putting in the windows. This was one case where "measure twice, cut once" was absolutely critical. The table was just a sheet of plywood carefully cut to fit the odd shaped nose area. Under was battery, Porta-potty and stuff. My plan for a folding bed was to find an old Navy bunk bed with aluminum frame and laced-in canvas bottom and hinge it to the wall.

Ill see if I can locate some old photos.

richcz28

zuna6u9u.jpg

Hooked up the trailer today for a test run and moving of heavy objects. I ended up using a roller to paint, but I am very happy with how it came out.

Next, I need to get my fenders on and I am looking at led light fixtures for the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger