Chaser #14. New adventures

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
I recently became the new and third owner of a 2006 AT Chaser, what I’ve been told is #14. The original owner hailed from Tucson, the second from Boulder, and each seem to have enjoyed and cared for the trailer well. The search engine doesn’t work as well on ancient history as it should, but here are the original For Sale posts… for safe keeping, at least until they update the forum software again. ;-p

2006 Chaser sale 1

2006 Chaser sale 2

After building and towing Homer all over the past 10 years, we have tested the limits of the little M416. The extra length and weight distribution of #14 suits us better now for longer trips and carrying our MTB on the rear receiver.

When I took delivery of #14. IMG_2868.jpeg

Build sheet:
  • Chaser Trailer Kit VIN Chassis, Trailing Arm Suspension with air struts, Cargo Box with gas strut assisted lid, Drop Leg Jack, Rubber Matting, Cargo Tie Downs, 2” Rear Accessory Receiver. Standard Powder Coat Color: White with Black Chassis & Fenders
  • Steel Powder Coated Nose Box
  • Two AT Gas Can Holders (Scepter or NATO) for Trailer
  • 19 Gallon roto-mold water tank with 1.25' opening, 1/2' drain plug and pump
  • Electric Braked Axle Upgrade with 10' drums, includes break-away kit
  • Utility shelf for Chaser (16.5' x 43' x .75'), shaped and finished hardwood ply with locator pins
  • Auxiliary 12V Power wiring w/ night light, 3 fused outlets, battery tray and hold down
  • AGM group 31 deep cycle battery
  • Chaser Tail gate 16' x 32' with locking T-handle latches
  • Multi Axis Coupler, 6000 lb, Class III
  • 5 lb Manchester propane cylinder
  • AT Custom Aluminum 5 lb Propane Cylinder Bracket & clamp
  • Mickey Thompson beadlock wheels
  • BFG AT 33 x 12.5 on 15 rim (75% Tread left)
  • Eezi-Awn Series 3, 1800 Roof Top Tent
Not much has been updated on #14 in its 17 years of service. The powder coat is in great condition as are the M/T wheels. It is true everything that has been said about these trailers and the build quality.

I have a few updates and refinements planned.
  1. Update tongue box to include shore power adapter, a ac/dc charger, and Blue Sea fuse box. I’ve added a folding 160 watt folding solar panel recently and will incorporate the charger into the mix. Certainly will be reaching out with a few questions here. I’d like to use the Group 31 AGM in the tongue box as the dual battery set up for the 100 through an Anderson plug setup.
  2. Match the wheels to the 5x150 pattern on the LC. Do I need to use hub centric adapters?
  3. Add a hand operated parking brake. The Chaser is better than the M416 in every way except for this omission. Having to carry wheel chocks to secure the trailer at camp is not ideal and can be remedied with a new set of backing plates. The question is one handle or two. The ability to pivot the trailer with separate brakes might come in handy.
  4. Add an awning mount and awning/screen room -done
  5. Add ball valve to bottom of poly tank -done
  6. Add a kitchen sink.
#14 has Old Man Emu Nitrocharger shocks. How much of an upgrade are the adjustable Ranchos? Loaded this weekend with the fat bikes there was a bit wan if the back and wonder if some additional dampening would be beneficial.

IMG_2919.jpeg

Last edited:

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
@NatersXJ6 I didn’t know a JK was hub centric. I need to go from the TJ pattern to the Land Cruiser 100 5x150 pattern. I swapped to Sequoia wheels a few years ago and plan to match all 6.

Louisd75

Adventurer
@NatersXJ6 I didn’t know a JK was hub centric. I need to go from the TJ pattern to the Land Cruiser 100 5x150 pattern. I swapped to Sequoia wheels a few years ago and plan to match all 6.

Spidertrax is another company that does lug-centric to hub-centric adapters in differing widths. It looks like there isn't much backspace on the current wheels vs the wheels on your cruiser.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Love these trailers. Sold my 416 to a friend. Regret. He has done it up nice though. SoCal teardrop 6 years ago and still love it. Even though we didn’t use 416 anymore I still wish I had it back.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
@RKRUGER going back and re-reading a bit, it looks like you want to put an adapter on to go from a Jeep pattern to a Toyota pattern? I think that will mean an adapter on an adapter, probably not a good idea. Unless someone has messed around with wheels to give you a really deep backspace on a wheel that is lug centric and has a huge center hole to clear the trailer bearing.

The brake hub on mine was a 3500 lb dexter pattern. I ended up buying new hub-drums to get from the 6 lug it came with to a 5, and then one seriously thick adapter to take the hub-drum to the JK pattern.

Have you pulled a tire yet? There is probably already an adapter there.

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Spidertrax is another company that does lug-centric to hub-centric adapters in differing widths. It looks like there isn't much backspace on the current wheels vs the wheels on your cruiser.
I sent an email to SpiderTrax. You are correct, the OG Mickey Thompson wheels are way dished. The LC100/Sequoia wheels have a 60MM offset. I'd like to see the tires tucked back into the fenders aways. They stand proud at least 1.5" now with significant clearance between the tub and tire as well.

Love these trailers. Sold my 416 to a friend. Regret. He has done it up nice though. SoCal teardrop 6 years ago and still love it. Even though we didn’t use 416 anymore I still wish I had it back.
@4runnerteq I have to agree. This style of trailer just suits me. It takes some self control not to just fill it up to the top and head out, but I like the flexibility the big open box provides to haul more fuel/water, fire wood, extra bikes, inflatable paddleboards or kayaks... anything that you can manage to fit under the cover. We pulled our 1966 Johnson Furnace M416 all over and only recently switched out to the Chaser. I hope it is as bombproof as Homer has been all these years.

Last edited:

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
@Louisd75 Got a note from SpiderTrax this morning that they do not make an adapter. Surprised by their emphatic "we don't do that" response.

The search continues.

4runnerteq

Explorer
I sent an email to SpiderTrax. You are correct, the OG Mickey Thompson wheels are way dished. The LC100/Sequoia wheels have a 60MM offset. I'd like to see the tires tucked back into the fenders aways. They stand proud at least 1.5" now with significant clearance between the tub and tire as well.

@4runnerteq I have to agree. This style of trailer just suits me. It takes some self control not to just fill it up to the top and head out, but I like the flexibility the big open box provides to haul more fuel/water, fire wood, extra bikes, inflatable paddleboards or kayaks... anything that you can manage to fit under the cover. We pulled our 1966 Johnson Furnace M416 all over and only recently switched out to the Chaser. I hope it is as bombproof as Homer has been all these years.
I didnt notice you had Homer. Checking it out was one of the trailers that originally had me looking for a 416. One of these days I'll talk my buddy back out of it . And I dont even know why.

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Some people do leg day… today was Chaser day. Been wanting to add a few updates for ease of use and comfort. Was able to meet up with my brother at the shop and use some big shop tools like a band saw and drill press.

First up was a simple addition. I removed the pvc bottom bung and screwed in a 1/2 ball valve. This will allow for a quick water dump once home from a trip or a faster fill of a pot for cooking.
IMG_3273.jpeg
Next up was fabricating brackets for a recently sourced, used Fiamma Pro 35 awning. AT Overland had the stainless steel corner uprights and one extension still in stock, but didn’t have the angle brackets that mount the uprights to the trailer tub. We used 2x2x3/16 aluminum angle cut 4.25” long and chamfered the ends to give a little more meat to bolt to. The second extensions are 30mm x30mm aluminum tube 300mm long.

The uprights are past the edges of the tub, so I would assume an awning wider than 6’ is preferred. But we went with what we had. The flat bar stock spans the width and utilizes the slot in the back of the awning for support.IMG_3285.jpegIMG_3293.jpegIMG_3294.jpegIMG_3290.jpegIMG_3291.jpeg

Last edited:

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
Made a few trips this fall, including a run across the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail, did some work on my outdoor kitchen setup. Repurposed Cabellas folding table with a Weber Q1200 grill operating off the 5# tank. IMG_3330.jpeg
The fender table provides prep space at an easy height. I haven’t quite sorted the camp box/ tail gate arrangement. The tailgate opening is not flush to the floor height of the trailer, and while providing great access, requires blocking of the camp box up from the floor to access the inside of the box. It isn’t perfect.

Still the awning is sturdy and easy to deploy, and the water tank on the front of the trailer is easy to access.

IMG_3331.jpeg

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
I did a thing…. Weatherguard 336-3 that is 48x20wx 13h. Interior is 10 high. Thinking it will roll out nicely out the back. Need to decide how far this is going to go. An old Coleman 413 would fit nicely if I cut the center rib out of it. It’s heavy. Home Depot lists the weight as 210 empty.

Attachments

• IMG_4395.jpeg
    IMG_4395.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4396.jpeg
    IMG_4396.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4398.jpeg
    IMG_4398.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 9

Forum statistics

Threads