Chasing a squeaky tire noise

Patrol65

So after a death wobble I had a shop do the front axel cv and ball joints. Death wobble solved. Few weeks later heard a squeaky noise from the front passenger tire. It doesn’t squeak when you braking or hit the gas. It sounds like someone jumping up and down on a spring mattress. After about a week or 2 it went away. Unfortunately it’s back. I put on new brakes and rotors and it’s still squeaking. Any ideas?

It’s a 2007 JKU Rubi with 80k miles. I only drive the jeep once or twice a week if that.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
There is a lot to unpack there.

Some questions:

You hear it with windows up or down only?
Only when turning?
You say Front Axle CV, but there are no CV joints in the axle. Do you mean U-joints?
Did you do the front driveshaft CV? (Technically rzeppa joint). I may have spelled that incorrectly.
Does the noise only happen when you lift off the throttle and coast?
My first guess would be a dry/failing u-joint of some sort.
A torn boot on the front driveshaft CV is pretty common, and you can easily see the line of grease flung out when the boot fails (joint on front driveshaft at transfer case)
I can’t imagine why you would have needed front axle u-joints at 80k miles… but you might have gotten a bad install.
A temp gun might, might, help. A dry joint should get hot and maybe hot enough to see. A different temperature.
Otherwise, are your brake pads wearing evenly and square?
Do you have more brake dust on one wheel than the other?
Are your shocks squeaking? Rock the truck and listen.

Patrol65

Sorry u joints. You can hear it with windows down. Happens as soon as a stop breaking or lifting off the throttle. Notice it a lot more going slow, like through parking lots. I am thinking tire noise covers it the faster I go. Crawling under her now check out topics brought up. I had the front and rear shaft switched yrs ago.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
90% guess it’s your front rzeppa joint. It will get progressively louder, but I ran mine at least 10k miles between first hearing it and changing it out. I think the part was about $200 at 4 Wheel Parts and took me about an hour all-in to change. I don’t recall special tools, but a CV boot clamp tool is probably needed. If the boot isn’t destroyed, you can also inject more grease into it, but that is just a band-aid. Your extremely low miles might be causing the grease to settle/run out of the balls.

Patrol65

The procomp drive shaft I got installed like 10 yrs ago a eliminated the cv. I also did a double Cardan shaft on front.

1stDeuce

Explorer
A double cardan joint will chirp or squeak cyclically at low speeds when the centering ball goes dry. Easy to diagnose as not tire or brake related becuase the sound happens at (your gear ratio) x the tire rotation speed... At higher speeds the sound goes away or gets muffled. Some aftermarket DC's have a grease fitting in the middle for the ball but it will take a needle type grease adapter, kinda like the one used for greasing a chainsaw bar tip sprocket...

That's my guess...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan