Chasingdreams Trailer Build

Tom Foolery

Adventurer
Tom,.... What was some of the factors that determined air shocks over gas for your set up? any info would be appreciated

I wanted a little adjust-ability to the ride height when hauling heavy loads. That is all. You will really like the travel that you are going to have with those leafs and I see you have bump stops too, good move. If you want a real stiff ride, might I suggest Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shock Absorbers

mon-58647st_xl_jpg.png

But buy the shocks before you plan your mounting points and shock tab widths, they are large and don't compress easily and will lift your trailer much higher then you might like. I had some, but sent them back for that reason. My trailer had a four in lift with them haha.

:ylsmoke:

Last edited:

chasingdreams

Adventurer
I wanted a little adjust-ability to the ride height when hauling heavy loads. That is all. You will really like the travel that you are going to have with those leafs and I see you have bump stops too, good move. If you want a real stiff ride, might I suggest Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shock Absorbers
41mygfsaljlsl500aa300.jpg

But buy the shocks before you plan your mounting points and shock tab widths, they are large and don't compress easily and will lift your trailer much higher then you might like. I had some, but sent them back for that reason. My trailer had a four in lift with them haha.

:ylsmoke:

I don't think I'll go that route,... The trailer is already plenty high enough. I'll probably stick with a gas shock. I will only be hauling camp gear and my gold mining gear, so I'm not to overly concerned about weight issues. 4 inches of lift is quite a jump....wow.

chasingdreams

Adventurer
Spent some time fabbing up the side boxes. The first part of the sheet metal and aluminum order should arrive Monday. So,.... if time permits, I'll start skinning everything Tuesday or Wednesday. I also fabbed up the "side door" for the main cargo box. Seems like one can never have enough clamps.

Attachments

• Expedition Trailer 069.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 069.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Expedition Trailer 070.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 070.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Expedition Trailer 072.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 072.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 56

chasingdreams

Adventurer
More pics....

Attachments

• Expedition Trailer 075.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 075.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Expedition Trailer 076.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 076.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Expedition Trailer 077.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 077.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 57

chasingdreams

Adventurer
Brrrrr It's cold outside,.... Summer needs to hurry up... I'm having serious camping withdrawls!:camping:

Attachments

• Jeep Mods 032.jpg
    Jeep Mods 032.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 73

aka rover

Adventurer
I hear ya there:coffeedrink: its not nearly as cold here in anchor town, Starting to snow so will be a bit warmer in the a.m.

Cheers Ed

chasingdreams

Adventurer
Some more progress has been made.....

Finished up framing the side boxes and doors. Mocked up the side boxes to pre-drill the mounting holes. Finished up the skin on the main cargo box, though there is still some edge and weld cleaning that has to happen. Also got some of the aluminum carved up and bent the fenders.:wings:

Attachments

• Expedition Trailer 086.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 086.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Expedition Trailer 084.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 084.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Expedition Trailer 083.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 083.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 80

chasingdreams

Adventurer
More pics....

Attachments

• Expedition Trailer 088.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 088.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Expedition Trailer 089.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 089.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Expedition Trailer 091.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 091.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 81

chasingdreams

Adventurer
More pics.........

Attachments

• Expedition Trailer 092.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 092.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Expedition Trailer 095.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 095.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Expedition Trailer 096.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 096.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 71

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Excellent build going. Thanks for posting up the pictures of the fenders and side boxes.
My build will have those same pieces. Now I have a picture to show folks when I'm talking about what I have in mind. Will your side boxes house the kitchen?

As for temperature it's 11 degrees this morning with a -5 degree wind chill.

Pretty cold for North Central Texas. We're just not set up for this like you guys are!!!!!:Wow1:
But not to worry, we'll be in the 70's this weekend. Our winter is almost over.:wings:

Been enjoying your progress from day one.

CiT

chasingdreams

Adventurer
explain something to me??? when your welding the seams are you covering the seam completly, and then grinding smooth? How much gap are you leaving to fill?

Where the two skins meet, i left a 1/16 gap. I welded it solid, then ground it down to almost flush with a grinding wheel, then finish the edge off with a high speed sanding pad (80 grit). There will still be some pits here and there, but they can be filled with icing (which is a skim coat filler). I'm doing the main box this way,.... but on the side boxes I think I am going to use seam sealer sanded out flush. I'm still thinking on that one.

Thanks for the kudos Titanpat57, much appreciated!

I'll have some more pics tomorrow,...I forgot my camera at the shop today.

chasingdreams

Adventurer
Excellent build going. Thanks for posting up the pictures of the fenders and side boxes.
My build will have those same pieces. Now I have a picture to show folks when I'm talking about what I have in mind. Will your side boxes house the kitchen?

As for temperature it's 11 degrees this morning with a -5 degree wind chill.

Pretty cold for North Central Texas. We're just not set up for this like you guys are!!!!!:Wow1:
But not to worry, we'll be in the 70's this weekend. Our winter is almost over.:wings:

Been enjoying your progress from day one.

CiT

Thanks Curtis,.... The passenger side box will house most of the kitchen. I have a stove/oven that won't fit in the side box, but once we set up camp it will sit on the front part of the running board. This is why the side boxes are also set towards the back. We had a warm spell,.... we were in the 20's.:coffeedrink:

chasingdreams

Adventurer
Ok.... I remembered to bring the camera home, so here is a pic update.....:wings:

Attachments

• Expedition Trailer 100.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 100.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Expedition Trailer 102.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 102.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Expedition Trailer 103.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 103.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 149

Forum statistics

Threads