Cheap 110/12volt coolers aka Coleman and such

fzsk4p

Adventurer
Just got back from a 6 day family trip at the local campgrounds. While hardly Expo material. Did get to use the trailer for the first time and also several new pieces of equipment.

With the Jeep stuff that we plan on doing..........A Galaxy is in the works.....

But with the family stuff, 110 power is but a plug away.

What do you folks recommend for a decent 110 fridge/freezer(?) for those times we can simply plug in ? Sure an ARB/Engel would be nice but I simply cannot afford to go that route. Thinking 100 to 150 bucks tops.

Coleman, Waceo or ???

RHINO

Expedition Leader
no such thing unless you get lucky finding a used unit. for what you describe how bout a regular dorm fridge?

Lynn

Expedition Leader
We have a Coleman 12v/110v cooler. Works acceptably well if the ambient temp isn't too high.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
I've got a 12 volt fridge, Koolmate I think? Works great for those trips where you're doing a lot of miles in the truck with the A/C on. I've come home from trips and the blue ice blocks are still/re-frozen. If you're going to be in one spot for multiple days I don't think it is a good idea to leave it plugged in to your starting battery system. Draws quite a bit of juice. Or so I've been told. For me and the money, I have been quite pleased with mine. I think I spent $60-$70 on mine 10 years ago. Could be way off.

BiG BoB

Adventurer
Just a small bar fridge will do the job :)

Make sure you pack it standing upright and not laying on its side.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
80`s and 60`s at night ? Will that be considered within the Coleman`s range ?

The spec on the Coleman (and all thermoelectric coolers, AFIK) is 40*F below ambient.

You said highs in the 80's. That's a broad range.

So at 80* the cooler will be at 40*. Probably acceptable. Normal refer temp is 35 - 38*.

At 89* the cooler will be at 49*. Over 10* above recommended refer temp. How cold do you want your beer? How quickly is the Mayo going to go bad?

Like I said, we have one, and it works well while traveling in the air conditioned vehicle and stopping at night.

It's also handy as an 'overflow' refrigerator in the house during holidays and stuff.

When my daughter had an infection we stored all her 'keep refrigerated' meds in it.

Some of those fake ice blocks (that don't melt) can extend the usefulness, as well as keeping it flat, not upright. That way it doesn't dump all the cold air out every time you open the door.

Last edited:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Trust me - save a little and buy a used Engel from someone hankering for a National Luna with a freezer compartment. You won't be sorry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan