Cheap alternative for camping

Braz475

Observer
I would love to be able to afford a RTT but for the time being I picked up a truck tent and truck bed air mattress...it ended up working out great! Tons of room in the tent (10x10) for tables and gear and then having a separate sleeping quarter in the back of the truck. This was up in the Mt. Rainier National Park over labor day weekend.

DSCF2305.jpg

DSCF2308.jpg

DSCF2310.jpg

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:REOutIceFishing: I have several different "USE" tents and My Xterra hatch tent, just like yours, has served me well for several years

Sleeping inside my X, or in the tent

They are really "UNIVERSAL" tents

Good pics, looks like yours fits PERFECT !!!

:gunt: :gunt: JIMBO

madizell

Explorer
To me it looks like an all around excellent choice, and the tent is far larger than your average RTT. I don't think the core object in expedition camping is to have one type of equipment versus another, but to find what works best for you, and then go use it. Nice camp site. Reminds me of years ago in the northern woods with the family.

Accrete

Explorer
yup the truck tents are cool. . . we have a model 8300 sportz tent. 10x10 plus a screen room attached. And the truck bed mattress : )

testing it out in our backyard
TACOtent01.jpg

and at it's maiden voyage
NorthForkCamp00.jpg

Let me pass on a tip from personal experience. Make sure the tunnel is wrapped securely/tightly around the rear bumper area with no opportunities for small little critters to get in. My wife and i were enjoying a game of cards when movement caught our eyes. . . it was a field mouse that had climbed up the TACO frame and came between bumper and tailgate into the tent. I'm glad we saw it early in the evening and closed the gap, cuz it would have freaked my wife out when she had her potty run into the tent later that nite!!

:yikes: Thom

Braz475

Observer
Wow dude that is HILARIOUS!!! That totally happened to us in the middle of the night!!! A small mouse ended up on our blankets in the middle of the night and my girlfriend FREAKED out!!!! Too funny!

CYi5

Explorer
This looks like a great option if you have more than 2 people going with you on a trip! Kinda like a split level duplex.

Braz475

Observer
Yeah it's almost like a truck camper but lowered down a level lol. It worked out nice, it got very cold where we were at during the night but I had just purchased a Buddy Heater that is safe for running in enclosed spaces (still cracked windows and tent windows were unzipped a bit) and it worked pretty well.

PCO6

Adventurer
I stumbled across this old thread while searching for something and am just resurrecting it because I have the same tent. I swapped a friend for some camping equipment and got this in exchange. I've only used it once and it was in terrible weather. It was great! It has a rain fly and a bit of an awning over the front door. I used a 10'x10' pop up canopy instead and stayed dry ... sort of.

I got it a few years ago and was curious to know how old it is. Based on this thread I know it goes back to at least 2008 but I suspect it is older.

Tent - SUV - Cabela's 1.JPGTent - SUV - Cabela's 2.JPGTent - SUV - Cabela's - 3.JPG

SFP

Nice.

I have been seriously considering grabbing one for the Jimmy. I like the idea of extra space, the head room in the main tent section and as an alternative to my ground tent.

dierkz

I stumbled across this old thread while searching for something and am just resurrecting it because I have the same tent. I swapped a friend for some camping equipment and got this in exchange. I've only used it once and it was in terrible weather. It was great! It has a rain fly and a bit of an awning over the front door. I used a 10'x10' pop up canopy instead and stayed dry ... sort of.

I got it a few years ago and was curious to know how old it is. Based on this thread I know it goes back to at least 2008 but I suspect it is older.

View attachment 712081View attachment 712082View attachment 712083
That looks sturdy and comfy, especially when dealing with rain. I'll show this to my uncle tomorrow for the mounting of the bumper and kmc wheels on his truck. He's been asking for a tent idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior