Cheap and easy fuel/water can mount

I wanted to increase my fuel capacity for a recent road trip so I came up with a simple idea that I thought I would share here. I am at a point in life where I am separated from most of my tools and do not have a great place to work, no excuses though.

On my trailer my spare tire is mounted to the front of the box above the tongue. I would imagine that this would also work for any vertically mounted spare, such as on a rear swing arm.

I have a wheel step that I used to use on my full size truck and when working on big rigs, so I put it over the spare and tied it down.

I added a milk crate and secured it to the step.

I placed my fuel can in the crate with some other spares that I didn't want inside (grease gun) and secured everything.

A nice bonus is that I have a great step that I carry along to reach the roof rack or the canoe on the trailer.

Pics:
Wheel Step

Loaded before strapping down

No trouble jackknifing

It isn't the best setup out there but it worked perfect for 2300km yesterday (highway).

Jason

Last edited:

Momrocks

Adventurer
Effective and on the cheap. Milk crates are fantastic. I have used them for decades while camping, long before I'd ever heard of Zarges or Pelican. I love effective solutions using recycled or repurposed equipment.

`

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
excellent, elegant way to solve a problem.

those steps are rated at hundreds of lbs, I'm sure. good thinking!

cheers!

-Brian

I'm a big fan of the milk crates. My trailer (pictured) has a sleeping platform inside, I slide milk crates full of gear underneath. So many great uses for the strong little boxes but they don't pack well when empty.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
fuel can mount

Is that a bungee cord holding it together? A ratchet strap would be safer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle